Lake Gwendy in Heavy Snowfall (now with many more photos)

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Re: Lake Gwendy in Heavy Snowfall (now with many more photos

Postby corvus » Mon 11 Oct, 2010 8:09 pm

Great record of your trip and a reminder as to why we (BWT Strollers) tend to take a "kitchen fly" with us ,set up with walking poles or off a couple of trees it is a nice for the group to be able cook and socialize under it when the weather is inclement :)
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby lyndoor » Sat 20 Nov, 2010 2:36 pm

Really enjoyed your report & photos,Nik.

I'm heading that way shortly as part of a 4 day trip. Do you remember roughly how long it took you from Long Tarn to Gwendy. I gather there is no formed track (although Ritters track is marked in the Chapman's book) but was told it can be hard going. We are planning to walk from Zion Gates to either Ironstone Hut or Lady Lake in a day, weather permitting. We are taking a GPS but are still newbies with this technology :roll:

Cheers lyndor
lyndoor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 21 Nov, 2010 6:26 am

I think it was about an hour from Long Tarns to Gwendy in good weather and about two or three in deep snow. When out of view of the lakes, there's not a lot of visual clues to navigate by, but the actual walking is pretty easy. Mostly open and not much in the way of hills.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby lyndoor » Sun 21 Nov, 2010 10:07 pm

Thanks Nik, that's what I thought. Appreciate the info :)
lyndoor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Onestepmore » Tue 05 Nov, 2013 4:18 pm

Great pics. You make being cold and wet look great fun!
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 05 Nov, 2013 8:24 pm

heheh... I didn't get cold or wet, thankfully, due to being well prepared. However, I was a little nervous about that submerged creek crossing where it was very hard to see what we were walking on under the water. It was a winding and narrow submerged ridge with deep icy water on either side of it. Thankfully nobody slipped in.

Oh, actually, I lie... I did get a bit cold and wet on the way out... I walked right into a snow covered creek towards the end of the walk out, and got drenched up to mid-thigh height. I got out pretty darned fast, that's for sure!

But yes, it was great fun. Fresh DRY snowfall is fantastic, and of course it always looks good in the pictures. Makes it hard to find the stoves and cooking gear in the morning though, if you didn't pack it away overnight. :-)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Previous

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes