Blue Peaks with Fly Fishers

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Blue Peaks with Fly Fishers

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 05 Mar, 2007 1:32 pm

(NB: 'The Blue Peaks' and the 'Blue Tier' are both in Tasmania, but nowhere near each other.)

I've just used the Blue Peaks track for the first time (Lake McKenzie to Blue Peaks). It's the easiest and quickest way into the central plateau, being only 1.5 to 2 hours walking, and quite flat all the way. It's one of only a very few tracks onto the central plateau without a significant steep section near the beginning (due to being able to drive all the way up the steep part by car).

I went with a couple of guys who went along to go fly fishing. We spent three days there, and while they were off fishing, I wandered off on my own to have a look around (and to test my navigational skills).

We camped near the first large lake just South of the Blue Peaks which was OK, but next time I think I'll walk the extra half-hour or so and camp somewhere near the far end of Little Throne Lake. It's a little more picturesque at Little Throne, and a lot closer to many other lakes. I'll then take the opportunity of climbing Little Throne which is only a small mountain, but I imagine would provide a great view of hundreds of lakes.

Unfortunately, there was a bit of rubbish lying around the camp sites and in the lakes. It's a shame that a small number of people give the rest of the fishermen and walkers a bad name by leaving such mess behind.
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Thu 07 Jun, 2007 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 08 Mar, 2007 10:21 am

Unfortunately, the batteries in my camera ran out early in the trip, but I've finally downloaded the photos I did get.

Here's one of the the lake, campsite and the Blue Peaks themselves (with the two fly-fishers wading in the lake).
Attachments
Blue Peaks.jpg
Blue Peaks.jpg (78.89 KiB) Viewed 69376 times
Last edited by Son of a Beach on Fri 12 Oct, 2007 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Hey that spec in the water is me!

Postby delphin » Sun 11 Mar, 2007 5:33 pm

It was a really easy trip in - very quick and as for camping location - Nik's right - the other end of the lake was much better...
delphin
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby The Caveman » Sun 18 Mar, 2007 5:05 pm

Looks like a nice day for it.

My last two trips in there were met with 30-40kt winds and rain. In the middle of January, no less.

Tad dirty...

Friend and his son on their walk out.
The Caveman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Easy but exposed

Postby bestie » Mon 19 Mar, 2007 8:45 pm

Just a warning to walkers that the track is not particularly well defined in several places. Finding the start of the track just out of the carpark can be your first problem as there are a couple of ways. Start fom the old building slab just off the road and pay attention to the muddy footprints. I would recommend that your first trip in should be with someone who knows the track well. Don't attempt the walk in really wet or foggy weather as there are few features to navigate by once you get up on top of the ridge. There are virtually no sheltered campsites around the lakes themselves so you need a good wind proof tent. Fuel stove area only!
The Lake Mckenzie road is an absolute disgrace considering there is a sign sending tourists up to the Devils Gullet lookout. Fourteen kilometers of corrugated rough gravel. Plenty of puncture potential. Take it easy 8)
bestie
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby The Caveman » Mon 19 Mar, 2007 9:30 pm

Hi Bestie, you got that right. The road in is terrible, great for kidney damage any day.

The track itself is little more than a worn footpath over the moss and rocks. Couple of guide posts mid-walk. The last run into Blue Peaks covers hard rock and the track disappears in front of you.

For those who want it, I have a GPS plotted track at 10m intervals you can upload. Starts on the service rd entry where the pile of rocks are stacked to indicate the main track. Then takes you right down to the water.

5.5km long, the walk up the first tier is the longest. The rest is rolling hills with little real difficulty.
The Caveman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 20 Mar, 2007 6:59 am

The track description you guys gave is spot on. We actually lost the track on the way in and it added about 45 minutes to our walk (didn't bother trying to find it again, just found our location on the map and navigated to where we had to go - thankfully we were near a rather unique landmark, a peculiarly shaped pool). If it was foggy we would have had trouble finding our location.

We lost the track again at a different spot on the way out, but I made sure I realised it quickly this time and found it again quickly.

Next time, I'll be a bit more strict about the group sticking closer together and keeping a closer eye on the track (I was at the tail of the group the entire time making sure nobody got left behind).

As with all cairned tracks, the cairns can be misleading too, with several cairned branches to the track along the way.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Blue Peaks

Postby kantonysen » Tue 20 Mar, 2007 8:35 pm

I've walked in to the Blue Peaks lakes about 5 or 6 times over the last 5 months; every time I've gone in have walked a slightly different way. It occurred to me when going in last Saturday that walking in for the first time it would be very easy to become geographically disorientated. On Saturday I happened to follow some cairns that ended abruptly about half or three quarters of an hour in. Pretty featureless where I lost sight of the cairns, but as I knew from previous experience where the route was had no problems. I would never go in when it is misty though, I’ve found keeping an eye on weather patterns via the Weather Bureau generally ensures you don’t get caught out in mist or rain.

I start at a point where there is a cairn by the side of the hydro access road about 400 metres beyond where I think Bestie starts his walk.
kantonysen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Road

Postby kantonysen » Wed 21 Mar, 2007 6:41 am

I should have mentioned that they have been working on the road into Lake McKenzie. When I went in on Saturday the bottom half of the road had had a grader go over it. Hopefully they will continue grading as the last k before getting onto the plateau is not in a good condition. That was the worst part of the road I think.

When coming down just below the scenic view point there is a 100k speed limit sign. To travel on the road at that speed would porovide a quick means to exit this world!!!
kantonysen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 21 Mar, 2007 6:55 am

I had to go to the dentist about a week after I got home from this trip, due to a bit of my tooth breaking off. I wonder if the road was to blame?
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kantonysen » Thu 22 Mar, 2007 6:34 am

"I had to go to the dentist about a week after I got home from this trip, due to a bit of my tooth breaking off. I wonder if the road was to blame? "

I wouldn't be surprised!! There have been a couple of times when on a particular corner down near the bottom of the road I thought my car was going to be bounced off the road, even though travelling in a low gear and slowly. My car is meant to have AWD.
kantonysen
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 22 Mar, 2007 11:30 am

sheesh, I guess my wife's Mazda 121 was lucky to come out alive!
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Road conditions in and some track ideas for the lakes:

Postby delphin » Sun 25 Mar, 2007 9:50 am

This was posted to us by Dan -
G'day Delphin,
Just thought I'd give you some advice re: Blue Peaks. A fair bit here but here goes. Firstly get yourself the following Tasmaps from an outdoor shop. Lk McKenzie (4438) and Pillans Lk. (4438). Now when you get to the carpark below the dam wall of McKenzie (there should be other cars there so you won't miss it) there is a Hydro boom gate which says No entry etc. Ignore that cause everyone walks past it and as you walk up a slight rise the road takes a right hand turn. You will see a pile of stones here (cairn) turn off the track here and you will be walking along a thin plain you will know you are on the track cause you will walk beside a cement structure slab of cement. The walk is about 5.5kms and is relatively flat and pretty easy if you are fit. Track is relatively easy to follow from others foot prints the odd cairn. When in there there are a good few places to pitch a tent most around the northern end of the lakes. It pretty easy to navigate once in there plenty of geographic features. The water is fairly low at the moment and clear as a bell. I was in there last Friday for the day and had a dissapointing trip. Dad caught one spinning. Not may fish sighted and those that were are spooky. The last trip managed 6 but the place is a bit hit and miss. Polaroiding is the game up there, go slow and keep a good eye out they are pretty well camoflauged. If you have done much polarioding before you will find it pretty easy. Best lakes from my experience are grassy and little throne. Halkyard is supposedly good, worth the extra walk.I haven't seen any mayfly or beetle falls for a couple of years. When they go onto the snails on the bottom and aren't cruising about (like Friday) you will hardly see a fish. If they are out and about and you hit a good day you are in for some sport. Good flies snails, stick caddis, scud, small mayfly patterns. I have never found big yeti, wooly buggers all that productive but they may work for you. Keep an eye out early morning as fish will cruise the shallows.
Keep all your food in the tent during the day or crows will eat it and keep all your food in the tent at night cause the devils will eat it. Not much else I can think of, I'd love to know how you get on.
Cheers
Dan
Kind regards,
Michael Dickson
delphin
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Birddog » Wed 06 Jun, 2007 1:29 pm

Is this area suitable for day walking?
Birddog
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Blue Peaks

Postby Pompom » Wed 06 Jun, 2007 9:40 pm

Hi Birddog,
Yep it's good country for day walks if you're with a group OK but it's not the best place to be if you solo at this time of the year. As mentioned previously the walk in past the old magazine base is well trodden but unless the track has been cleared in the last few years there are a lot of places to get slewed,especially in the ti tree near the start and further up when you hit the couple of gentle climbs. A party can keep the track in view,[or relocate it] more easily than a solo. The open parts near the top can be very misleading with several alternative tracks going every which way, the cairns can be misleading with modern ones getting confused with the original ones that shoot off at a tangent. If you go up there mid season footprints in the mud are usually easy to follow but if you're among the first ones in for the season look out it can get hairy. I reckon that the easiest track up to the top lakes is the track to Lake Explorer following the left hand side of explorer creek, PROVIDING THAT THE FISHER RIVER IS FORDABLE. It can usually be crossed without getting wet if the stepping stones are found but the worst in low water is wet lower legs. To get to the top of Lake Explorer it pays to cross Explorer Creek at the top near where it widens just before opening up to the lake, then to follow the right hand shore up to Snake Lake and then to Nameless, or go a little further right up to Lake Johnny then where you will.
I have done this walk linking up with the Blue Peaks Track several times in a day, fishing as well but you do need some knowledge of the tops to do it. The main thing up there is that the terrain is fairly flat and he way out is pretty well obvious providing one is reasonably competent in compass and map usage. [MERSEY1:100,000 and/or Lake Mackenzie and Pillans Lake 1:25000]
Hope the above is of some help
Pompom
Pompom

Re: Blue Peaks with Fly Fishers

Postby newmann » Mon 29 Sep, 2014 1:03 pm

Caveman I would love those GPS co-ordinates if you still have them
newmann
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby The Caveman » Tue 30 Sep, 2014 12:08 pm

Hi Newman,

yeah - still have them. PM me your email address and I'll forward to you.

Cheers.
The Caveman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby newmann » Wed 01 Oct, 2014 8:13 pm

Hi pm sent thanks again
newmann
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Smithyjk » Thu 08 Jan, 2015 11:21 pm

Hi Caveman,

I am looking at going fly fishing up the blue peaks in the next couple of weeks and was wondering if you would mind emailing me you GPS points? They would be very handy and much appreciated as I have never been up that way.

Cheers, smithyjk
Smithyjk
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby pazzar » Fri 09 Jan, 2015 12:16 pm

I was up there last weekend, and found it pretty good going. The road was in excellent condition, and I was able to find the start of the track easily. Look for a rock cairn opposite a gravel pit. The track is vague in places as the terrain opens out, but I managed to stay on it for as long as I wanted to. There were a few cairns and tapes around in places. As long as you keep the range on your right, you will have no big issues.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Gardy » Thu 06 Apr, 2017 5:45 pm

The Caveman wrote:Hi Bestie, you got that right. The road in is terrible, great for kidney damage any day.

The track itself is little more than a worn footpath over the moss and rocks. Couple of guide posts mid-walk. The last run into Blue Peaks covers hard rock and the track disappears in front of you.

For those who want it, I have a GPS plotted track at 10m intervals you can upload. Starts on the service rd entry where the pile of rocks are stacked to indicate the main track. Then takes you right down to the water.

5.5km long, the walk up the first tier is the longest. The rest is rolling hills with little real difficulty.

Hi,

I have been in once before and had a hard time following the trail would you still have GPS track?
Gardy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes