Frenchmans Cap

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Frenchmans Cap

Postby gregm » Wed 15 Feb, 2012 12:59 pm

Planning to do this walk, possibly solo as my wife doesn't hike. How difficult is the walk/scramble to the summit ? I know these are relatively easy summits, but as a day walk I did Cradle Mtn & Barn Bluff last year. Unfortunately that is all I have to compare with. I have done a couple of others such as Mt Field W, Mt Amos, Mt Freycinet & circuit as a day walk, Bishop & Clerk but they are all easier. I know it's somewhat subjective but any opinions would be much appreciated.
I plan to go in February which research indicates is the driest/warmest time. I also believe that it is a fairly popular track, so I may have the opportunity to summit with company, which I would prefer from a safety perspective. I have completed the South Coast Track from CC to M, a combo WOJ/Southern OT walk & Bathurst H/SW Cape to M walk so have some experience of walking in Tas.
Happy & safe walking Greg
gregm
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Frenchmans Cap

Postby Azza » Wed 15 Feb, 2012 1:35 pm

Its a walk - no exposure...

There is one section where you climb up a short section, but nothing harder than Cradle or Barn.
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby gregm » Fri 17 Feb, 2012 8:45 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I always find it helpful to get ideas from people who have successfully completed a walk that I am planning. Gives me a bit more confidence that I can tackle the challenge safely. I have only been hiking for a couple of years and as I get older I guess I become a little more cautious. Being a keen yachtie I know how ruthless mother nature can be & have witnessed how changeable Tassie's weather can be, even during the course of one day.
Happy hiking Greg
gregm
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby mr majestik » Fri 20 Apr, 2012 1:05 pm

my foot down to where my friend is standing is the only tricky climb, about 3m in all. nothing to worry about.
mr majestik
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Strider » Fri 20 Apr, 2012 2:57 pm

mr majestik wrote:Image

my foot down to where my friend is standing is the only tricky climb, about 3m in all. nothing to worry about.

But would be a little tricky if you decided to carry a pack to the summit!
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby JamesMc » Sat 21 Apr, 2012 5:03 pm

The climb to the summit would be a bit slippery when wet.
JamesMc
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes