Mt Murchison

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mt Murchison

Postby biggbird » Sun 20 May, 2012 12:03 pm

Had the opportunity to visit Mt Murchison on Tassie's west coast a few weekends ago. We kept up our running theme of bad weather and poor visibility, but still had a great time!

A few shots from the trip:

The first lake we saw, as seen from the initial climb up the ridgeline. Not sure what the lake's called!

Looking back down the first ridge to the road.

The sun tried to poke through the clouds every now and again, but never quite managed it!

Brought a friend with us this time. Don't think he'd done much walking before, and I'm pretty sure this didn't make him any more excited for it :P

Spot the pack? We left them down there and scrambled across/up to the summit on numb hands and sore legs!

Headed back down from the summit.

Is that... Blue sky?!

Coming around to my least favourite bit of the walk... I don't really have much of a head for heights, so this wasn't great fun :P

So the original plan was to head on from the summit and camp at Lake Sandra, but bad weather etc meant we just headed back down. Wasn't so bad though, meant we went and did Cradle/Mt Campbell the next day!

Thanks for looking guys :)
biggbird
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mt Murchison

Postby eggs » Sun 20 May, 2012 9:03 pm

Good effort.
You must have seen some fagus on the way through?
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Re: Mt Murchison

Postby biggbird » Sun 20 May, 2012 11:00 pm

We did see a little, but what we did see had lost the vast majority of its leaves unfortunately!

Had a quick scan through the few photos I took that day, and this was just about the only one I could find which showed some:

Campbell/Cradle the next day was a little more rewarding on the fagus front, but still, I think we were just a little late! Oh well :)
biggbird

Region: Tasmania

Return to TAS Trip Reports & Track Notes