Tour de Monte Rosa

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Tour de Monte Rosa

Postby naturelover » Tue 12 Aug, 2014 8:10 pm

If someone told me they just did the Tour de Monte Rosa to enjoy the rifugio dinners, I'd perfectly understand - although it also has heaps to offer in terms of beauty, majesty and excitement. In terms of difficulty, it is more challenging than the Tour du Mont Blanc, and much quieter than that walk that has become too popular for my liking.
I find it hard to compare it in difficulty to the haute route - each offers its own "moments" of challenge, but I think the haute route is marginally harder (I'm thinking here primarily of the Pas de Chevres on the latter, which nonetheless can be avoided if you don't have a head for ladders going up a vertical cliff for scores of metres).
I will do TMR again if life gives me the opportunity, as I loved the whole experience, and always enjoy revisiting past places of beauty. We did it at the end of July and had lots of beautiful snow and no competition for beds in the huts. We got a room to ourselves every time, which was a huge bonus. It's hard to predict snow levels from the Aussie end, as it changes every year, of course, but our timing certainly suited us.
A full day by day account would be unwieldy - I'm sure I could fill a book - and I have written a condensed version about it in my blog (see link below), and have posted pictures there.
What I will do here is post a few pictures that are different from the blog ones so that the two complement each other.
[url]natureloverswalk.blogspot.com[/url]
Attachments
TMR Day 1 Breithorn.jpg
TMR Day 1 Matterhorn-2.jpg
TMR Day 1. The path, Breithorn.jpg
TMR Day 4 descending from Col d'Olen.jpg
TMR Day 7 climbing Paso Motto Moro.jpg
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Tour de Monte Rosa

Postby icefest » Tue 12 Aug, 2014 9:23 pm

I really enjoyed your blog post - I'm still a follower of yours. :D
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby jmac » Wed 13 Aug, 2014 11:56 am

Great pictures, Louise! Congratulations to you and Bruce for another great scramble amongst the Alps.

Regards, John Mc.
jmac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby naturelover » Thu 21 Aug, 2014 8:07 pm

Sorry, I realised I left a letter out in the URL link above. The full link for this particular walk is
http://natureloverswalks.blogspot.com.au/2014/08/tour-de-monte-rosa-july-2014.html
naturelover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to International Trip Reports & Track Notes