scotland

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

scotland

Postby dingelberry » Tue 03 Feb, 2015 6:17 am

Hi all
I have been looking at doing some walks overseas in the next few years scotland comes to mind . I know there are a few posts here already but was looking for any ideas from those that have walked there eg: best time ,best way to get around and any walks that features mountains . I know I can just google it and have done so but I find the personal perspective from these forums a whole lot better.
dingelberry
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: n/a
Region: New South Wales

Re: scotland

Postby ofuros » Tue 03 Feb, 2015 12:37 pm

I know your looking for an aussie experience & point of view....but there's a font of knowledge here http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/
Great area map showing long distance & short walking trails. Forum with Trail & Trip reports of all the walks.
Info on the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams, Donalds, Sub 2000ers, Wainwrights & even the Hewitts.

Long distance trail map here.. http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/long-dis ... utes.shtml

You'll just have to register if you want to ask more detailed questions...

I'm slowly gathering info on the Skye & Cape Wrath trails.
Last edited by ofuros on Tue 03 Feb, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby photohiker » Tue 03 Feb, 2015 1:08 pm

ofuros wrote:I'm gathering info on the Skye & Cape Wrath trails.

Hi ofuros.

I agree that there is plenty of info out there. I'm happy to add anything I can, but it would be good to have more specific questions.

If you want to go high, dead of winter will be a struggle, and quite dangerous. If you wait until around May depending on the roll of the dice for that year's climate, then you can just about go anywhere. The downside is that the warmer it gets, the more midges you have to deal with. Some places are worse than others. The walking I have done in Scotland is in May and June and I have been lucky with pleasant weather and few midges, so I suggest mid may :)

If you want a bit of a social walk, I can suggest the TGO Challenge, but entry is in November for a May walk the following year. ~300km crossing of Scotland from west to east in 14 days. If you are reasonably fit it's good fun and do-able.

ofuros, tell me about the info you have collected on the Cape Wrath trail. I'm thinking my next Scotland walk will be that one as I find the west of Scotland more enticing than the east. A hike up the west should be fantastic. As I understand it, facilities and population gets pretty sparse the further north you go.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ofuros » Tue 03 Feb, 2015 4:38 pm

Hi photohiker,
I'm mainly focusing on the High Sierra Route & the Lost Coast trail in the good ol' USA at the moment,
downloading maps, buying books, lakes with/ without trout along the route, checking out bear cannisters,
whether to fly, rent a car or bus it or a combination of all these from L.A.
Then there's all the other little details to nail down....

That'll happen before the Family reunion trip to the UK with me either going early or staying behind to complete the Wrath or Skye trail in Scotland.
More of a social / long distance challenge for me, staying in bothies when I can, wild camping, bagging afew peaks before the weather
closes in, catching fish/shellfish, calling in on the odd remote tearoom, wee village shop or pub/inn to indulge....
As with any long distance resupply points will be the key.

I did have a folder full of links of interest for the trails, but I seem to have merged it with another & can't locate it at the moment. :roll:
Bothies along the way. http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/locationmap.asp
You can download the maps needed or follow the trail reports day by day or check out every inch of the trails on this Map viewer,
just zooom in. http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/opendat ... index.html
Scottish mountain weather. http://www.mwis.org.uk/scottish-forecast

Remoteness, history, hill climbs, trudging through bogs, throw in some scotch mist & some nasty weather for days on end.....and it sound like my kind of bimble.
...Oh, and the midges, nearly forgot about those ! The more I think about it, the more my heart races !
I'll have to pick your brains when you get back....you'll be there before me.
Last edited by ofuros on Wed 04 Feb, 2015 7:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby photohiker » Tue 03 Feb, 2015 5:09 pm

haha. I better start researching then. Renovations this year, then what ? :D

Here is a link I enjoyed reading about the Cape Wrath trail. Shewie is a top bloke, hammocker, trailstar user, TGO Challenger plus lots of other stuff. Only had online conversations with him, not met him in person yet, but if the planets line up maybe one day I will.

Cape Wrath Trail | Trek-Lite.com
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Canberra Trekker » Tue 03 Feb, 2015 6:48 pm

Hi there

I have done the West Highland Way and can provide lot of information on that walk. I have also been to Isle of Harris and Hoy in the Orkneys. Hoy is like a big bird reserve. Freedon to go anywhere. Big sea cliffs and open moorland Nice bothy at Rackwick.

I have collected a lot of information on Cape Wrath trail. Thats next on my to do list.
Canberra Trekker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby ofuros » Tue 03 Feb, 2015 7:23 pm

photohiker wrote:haha. I better start researching then. Renovations this year, then what ? :D

Here is a link I enjoyed reading about the Cape Wrath trail. Shewie is a top bloke, hammocker, trailstar user, TGO Challenger plus lots of other stuff. Only had online conversations with him, not met him in person yet, but if the planets line up maybe one day I will.

Cape Wrath Trail | Trek-Lite.com

Following their route on the OS map viewer as I type this, plus following pic & story at the same time,
it's keeping me amused this evening.... :wink:
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby dingelberry » Wed 04 Feb, 2015 6:22 am

Thanks for the great links .They have made my mind up scotland it is.Now to work out what one mmmm.
dingelberry
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: n/a
Region: New South Wales

Postby vicrev » Wed 04 Feb, 2015 8:52 am

Scotland is beautiful...The Western Isles are magic...Lived in North Uist in the 70s....You can Island hop, all through the Outer Hebrides ,great scenery,big, open ,clear skies.....Single Malt Whiskies AAAhh. :D .........
vicrev
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Suz » Wed 27 May, 2015 8:00 am

You want to avoid the middle of summer when it is midge season.
Suz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Return to International Trip Reports & Track Notes