torres del paine Tent & Pack advice

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

torres del paine Tent & Pack advice

Postby shadow1243 » Mon 09 Feb, 2015 11:18 pm

This is my first post so please excuse my doubling up of my questions if there have already been discussion on this.

We are both 55 fairly experienced walkers going to Torres Del Paine in late September/early October to do the W trek. We need to upgrade our current tent and have been tossing up between a Hilleberg Nallo 2 or a Macpac Minaret (much cheaper). Does anyone have any opinion of if the Minaret or something along these price lines will do it and stand up to the wind, or should be bite the bullet and buy the Hilleberg. The blogs and reviews I have read make me doubt the Macpac can take the wind in Patagonia. We a also tossing up changing to an Arne pack as they are so much lighter. Has anyone experienced walking with these as we are walking Larapinta mid year this year and figured the upgrade for the long term is worth it.
shadow1243
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Re: torres del paine Tent & Pack advice

Postby icefest » Tue 10 Feb, 2015 8:19 pm

Have you read the rules?

Other than that, welcome to the forums.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Strider » Tue 10 Feb, 2015 8:30 pm

Aarn packs are not that light when compared to other packs. But they do carry well. Amazingly well, in fact!
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkon » Wed 11 Feb, 2015 7:39 am

Have you been able to get in one and see both these first hand. The hilleberg will undoubtedly be the stronger and bigger of the two tents, it also can be used in hotter weather than the minaret more comfortably. The quality of hilleburg tents is superb and in knocking back the chance to buy a cheap one a friend recently said, 'I've got champagne tastes but a beer budget'. That says it all really.

Aarn packs might be lighter than what you currently have though they aren't the lightest. Strider is right when he says that they do carry well, though it really helps if the pack is set up to fit you. I'm tall and I really like that the height of a loaded pack is a lot lower as it doesn't hit as many branches, the balance pockets really do make a difference which I notice when I go back to the old pack. I've done a lot of walking with my aarn in the five months since I got it and the only time the balance pockets got in the way was when I was rock scrambling at times. I'm going to use mine on the larapinta walk later this year and it will be used shortly on the AAWT (like member Mutley has just done wearing his aarn). You have to remember that while it makes the pack nicer to carry, you still have to carry the weight so don't have unrealistic expectations on what it can do
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby wobbly » Sat 14 Mar, 2015 1:25 pm

Actually if you are only doing the W you'll find all the campsites except Grand Pehoe pretty sheltered from the wind - typically they are in forest under trees. The wind sounds amazing going through the tree tops but at ground level it was not bad, We took a Blue Sky Revolution tent which was fine despite its light weight. People had all sorts of tents from cheap to Hillebergs and no one seemed to have any issues. In my opinion the cheaper tent would be fine. FYI I also took an Aarn load limo pack and it failed on me.
wobbly

Postby deadwood » Sun 29 Mar, 2015 8:19 pm

The strongest wind we encountered there was at los Cuernos which has wooden tent platforms, so make sure you have plenty of guy ropes to get your tent secured to a wooden platform and arent just relying on tent pegs around the base of your tent.
deadwood
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby matchhead » Fri 14 Aug, 2015 9:22 am

Quick question - I'm planning to do the TdP circuit in November 2015.

I've read that wind is a significant issue for the trek, but do you think it'll be feasible to camp using only an A-frame tarp for the entire trip? (walking pole and lots of guide lines).

I've been using tarps my whole life and don't want to break the tradition. Cheers
matchhead
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Postby deadwood » Mon 17 Aug, 2015 9:35 pm

Hey Matchead, I don't have any experience of the setup you're describing, but having experienced guylines torn from the tent by Patagonian winds earlier this year, I would think you are adding an extra degree of difficulty and discomfort that wouldn't be what I would do. It just depends on whether you get lucky with the weather or not and whether you can cope if you're not lucky with the weather. Do you feel lucky? Well do you? ;-)
deadwood
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Return to International Trip Reports & Track Notes