Nahuel Huapi traverse (near Bariloche, Argentina)

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Nahuel Huapi traverse (near Bariloche, Argentina)

Postby deadwood » Thu 23 Apr, 2015 11:17 pm

Parque Nacional Nahuel Huapi is fairly large and well equipped with refugios and different trails for walking. January and February in particular can get very busy, but we walked in March and apart from the one long weekend, it was fairly quiet. The two refugios we stayed at were quite civilized and they have meals and vino :D . Due to last minute lack of planning we went with a guide which made the logistics a lot easier as well as the trail finding and we went some places we otherwise may not have gone. We started at Colonia Suiza, crossed to Pampa Linda and then went acros Paso las Nubes to Lago Frias and back to Bariloche by boat. In total it was 7 days walking, and although our packs weren't too heavy, there is a lot of steep up and down of very rocky mountains. Awesome views and a great place to walk, but not necessarily too much wildlife.
Now for some photos...

The refugio at Laguna Negra - great place to be inside when the wind is blowing outside!
365C7764.jpg
Laguna Negra refugio

Day 2 and Cerro Tronador is already making its presence known.
365C7772.jpg
First View of Cerro Tronador

After the refugio, its tent time, but laguna CAB isnt a bad place to camp when there is noone else around.
365C7799.jpg
Reflection on laguna CAB

365C7811.jpg
From the summit of Cerro CAB

365C7853.jpg
lenga lichen

365C7924.jpg
Cerro Tronador and Paso las Nubes

Wasiting for the boat at Lago Frias
365C7976.jpg
Lago Frias
deadwood
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Re: Nahuel Huapi traverse (near Bariloche, Argentina)

Postby msrj » Tue 26 May, 2015 7:06 pm

Wow deadwood, amazing pictures! It makes me want to go back...
msrj
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby goanna » Sun 30 Aug, 2015 9:42 pm

Great photos Deadwood. When I saw your photos when they were first posted I thought 'where has all the ice gone?' but then concluded it was probably just my faulty memory. I have finally got around to digging out my old slides and scanning a couple of them. It has been a bit difficult to compare directly as I don't have any taken from exactly the same spot as you. At the Paso de la Nubes we were in the nubes. However from what I have it does seem that the ice is retreating. Below is our party crossing Paso de la Nubes

12 Paso de las Nubes 2R28.jpg

Below is a photo of Monte Troneador from Pampa Linda. There does seem to be a lot more snow/ ice than when you were there.

18 Monte Troneador from Pampa Linda 2R36 (1280x863).jpg

And finally one of the best views was as we climbed past Ventisquero Frias. Did you take a photo here to compare?

07 Ventisquero Frias 2R23 (1280x871).jpg

Goanna
goanna
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby deadwood » Sat 12 Sep, 2015 3:32 pm

Hi Goanna, Unfortunately I don't have photos from the same places to do a good ice comparison, and I think they changed the route over paso las nubes when the new hut was built. Its also hard to tell in further away photos how much is ice and how much is snow. These two photos show the view from Pampa Linda and I think the glacier is Ventisquero Frias, just after leaving the Paso las Nubes hut.

pampa linda.jpg
pampa linda

glacier near Paso de las nubes.jpg
Glacier near Paso de las nubes
deadwood
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Return to International Trip Reports & Track Notes