Kokoda, Papua New Guinea

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Kokoda, Papua New Guinea

Postby Cocksy_86 » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 9:01 am

[attachment=4]Fuzzy Wuzzy..jpg[/attachment][attachment=3]Simon the Porter. Kagi in the background..jpg[/attachment][attachment=2]Team Leader..jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]Old Menari..jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Fuzzy Wuzzy..jpg
Fuzzy Wuzzy. Tribal Leader of Kagi.
Fuzzy Wuzzy..jpg (74.43 KiB) Viewed 11813 times
Simon the Porter. Kagi in the background..jpg
Simon the Porter. Carried my backpack along with his to help me out.
Simon the Porter. Kagi in the background..jpg (48.92 KiB) Viewed 11813 times
Team Leader..jpg
John Miles. Team Leader.
Team Leader..jpg (69.07 KiB) Viewed 11813 times
Old Menari..jpg
Menari.
Old Menari..jpg (84.87 KiB) Viewed 11813 times
Nauro..jpg
Nauro.
Nauro..jpg (30 KiB) Viewed 11813 times
Cocksy_86
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Kokoda, Papua New Guinea

Postby Cocksy_86 » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 9:06 am

Some other pics.[attachment=4]Eddie..jpg[/attachment][attachment=3]Efogi..jpg[/attachment][attachment=2]Butcher Hill..jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]On the way to Isurava..jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]Valley..jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Eddie..jpg
Eddie. Porter.
Eddie..jpg (68.15 KiB) Viewed 11812 times
Efogi..jpg
Efogi. Village of many of the porters.
Efogi..jpg (57.52 KiB) Viewed 11812 times
Butcher Hill..jpg
Butcher Hill.
Butcher Hill..jpg (86.95 KiB) Viewed 11812 times
On the way to Isurava..jpg
On the way to Isurava.
On the way to Isurava..jpg (101.29 KiB) Viewed 11812 times
Valley..jpg
Valley between Kagi and Efogi.
Valley..jpg (77.29 KiB) Viewed 11812 times
Cocksy_86
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lindsay » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 5:23 pm

Great photos mate. Kokoda has been on my to do list for a long time. Who did you go with, any particular problems etc? Any info would be appreciated.
Lindsay
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Cocksy_86 » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 6:35 pm

I went with Executive Excellence (EE). They're really good but really expensive. They took Joe Hockey, Kevin Rudd, 60 Minutes Reporter...ect. But it's worth it in the sense that they have all safety (and health) issues covered thoroughly. They have deposits paid with insurance companies so all they have to do is make a phone call and things are hit on the head. At Nauro I dropped to the ground with a 42C temp, eyes went fuzzy, couldn't hear, couldn't speak, could barely move.

So 72km into the 96km. They called in the helicopter and got me off to the international hospital. My fever broke in the helicopter but it took a full 6 months to recover. Totally rough.

Tips for going. (Kokoda groups will give their own advice. But these are things I learnt that they won't probably teach you).

-The mountains are so high. I've never seen mountains that big. So get fit.
-Get something called your ITB looked at. It's the muscle that runs from your hip to your knee. Because of the steep descents it really plays up. My Old Man's went, a girl's (30 years old) went, the Team Leader just had surgery on his.
-Go with a group that knows what they are doing. If I hadn't gone with the company I was with, I would have died. I was 21, fit, and healthy.
-We had a big group of 24 with 20 porters, a medic, and a team leader. Someone still managed to break into a tent and steal $300.
-There was 60 Minutes segment where young blokes like me were dying cause they are drinking too much water and not enough salts (Staminade), and vice versa. Find the healthy balance.
-Take a NRL Football Jersey as a present for your porter. Best thing you can give them.

Anyway, plenty more advice where that came from, but that's all I can think of besides the obvious.

Let me know if you find a group to go with, or if you had any other questions.

Peace.

Josh
Attachments
Helicopter Rescue.jpg
Helicopter at Nauro.
Helicopter Rescue.jpg (34.59 KiB) Viewed 11790 times
Cocksy_86
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby nickL » Sat 21 Aug, 2010 10:36 pm

great one josh

i recently came back also from kokoda and had my trip report half done - your pics have inspired me to finish it

good one and look forward to a report on your next big adventure

cheers

nick
nickL
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: South Australia

Postby Lindsay » Sun 22 Aug, 2010 10:49 am

Thanks Josh, I won't be going anytime soon however your experience is a sobering reminder of the importance of travelling with a reputable company and proper preparation.

Lindsay.
Lindsay

Region: New South Wales

Postby ninjapuppet » Sun 22 Aug, 2010 11:52 am

YIKES!

Is it really that hard? makes you wonder how tough our aussie soldiers had it hey?
Josh you look like a really fit young man from the photos and i'm shocked that you thought you nearly died. your report makes it sounds like the climate acclimatisation and body salt balance is more the tough part rather the physical side of things? oh wait... you're from queensland too.

With ITB muscles, its a big culprit for people on their feet alot. it can cause knee pain (runners knee), or even in my case, hip pain. A lot of people claim orthotics and VMO strengthening exercises help, but for me, I'm going to stretch the hell out of it prior to the next big trip.
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby north-north-west » Tue 24 Aug, 2010 8:26 pm

Cocksy_86 wrote:-Take a NRL Football Jersey as a present for your porter. Best thing you can give them.

I don't know about that. I'm a Manly fan. If the team is regarded the same way in PNG that it is in dubberland, I'd probably end up in the stewpot . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Cocksy_86 » Tue 24 Aug, 2010 9:04 pm

Two of the team got their porters Bronchos jerseys. One of them was the porter in the picture above wearing the Mighty Mouse singlet. They wore them with pride. It was pretty cool.

They are also into their tobacco and smoke rollies. But they have a high regard for cigars. So if you get these...

http://www.thefind.com/gifts/browse-mac ... duro-ascot

And hand them out to a few of them (be sure to take a cigar cutter), then they'll be blown away.
Cocksy from Down Under
http://www.seqhistory.com
Cocksy_86
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to International Trip Reports & Track Notes