Moondog55's 2014 snow trip

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Re: Moondog55's 2014 snow trip

Postby Cecile » Tue 15 Jul, 2014 7:18 pm

Thanks for the reassurance icefest and bailz66. I actually do know that where he is, is flat and safe from runaway snow and not far from PV hut, that he takes every precaution and has enough warmth and gear to get through almost anything. I'm sure you realise that I'm not a mountaineering kinda girl, and snow is not on my to-do list!

As far as bluebird days, I've been watching the mountain cams and it looked pretty rough up there today.
Cecile
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Cecile » Wed 16 Jul, 2014 11:39 pm

I still haven't heard anything, and the weather's going to dump snow again.

When should I start to panic? :shock:
Cecile
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Wed 16 Jul, 2014 11:59 pm

What timeframe did Ted tell you to work with before becoming worried, Cecile? Knowing that it can be days between making contact, and that this is both expected and normal as well as being camped in a safe area, I don't think it's time to panic just yet.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby icefest » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 12:01 am

The way it looks right now, I don't think he'll be doing much exploring. I wouldn't worry, as he'll be rugged up and waiting for that nice blue sky that's coming over the weekend:
http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/ ... casts/1922
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Cecile » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 12:14 am

I'm being such a girl! We vaguely said that he would be in touch every few days, but last Saturday when we spoke he actually had no idea what day it was...he had been trying to ring me at work...so I am also assuming he's lost track of time. There's no Optus signal out there, in spite of being in direct sight of a tower. We didn't talk about a timeframe for me to consider notifying anyone but there are folks who know where he is, and could make contact if needed. Of course there's the possibility that his battery setup won't charge his phone, or he lost his phone in a snowbank.

Thanks for the reassurances, yet again.
Cecile
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby icefest » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 12:20 am

Cecile wrote:I'm being such a girl!

Why does it sound like you are apologizing for being a girl?

You're worried about a loved one, that's nothing to be ashamed or apologetic about.

If you have no contact after a day and a half of clear weather, I'd suggest calling the ski patrol about your worries - they might be able to send out a ski-doo.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Cecile » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 12:25 am

icefest wrote:If you have no contact after a day and a half of clear weather, I'd suggest calling the ski patrol about your worries - they might be able to send out a ski-doo.

That sounds like a good idea, and thank you. The fellow who runs the back country tours knows him and gave him a lift out to his campsite last week, so that might be a good place to start. It's not like he's in remote, inaccessible territory.

And now, a little more reassured, I think I will finally go to bed. Thank you, and good night!
Cecile
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby photohiker » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 8:04 am

This is a primo example for the use of a spot or delorme tracker. Moondog could send out a daily ping to say 'I'm OK'.

I bet there are several of us here on the forum that would lend one to him if we weren't using them at the time of his trip.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Cecile » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 8:20 am

photohiker wrote:This is a primo example for the use of a spot or delorme tracker. Moondog could send out a daily ping to say 'I'm OK'.

I bet there are several of us here on the forum that would lend one to him if we weren't using them at the time of his trip.

Thank you. I have been thinking about buying one. Can you recommend one?. Of course it will only work if he's 1. prepared to use it and 2. has a means of recharging it.
Cecile
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 8:40 am

Cecile wrote:
photohiker wrote:This is a primo example for the use of a spot or delorme tracker. Moondog could send out a daily ping to say 'I'm OK'.

Thank you. I have been thinking about buying one. Can you recommend one?. Of course it will only work if he's 1. prepared to use it and 2. has a means of recharging it.

He will be prepared to use it if it means you'll give him another leave pass! :D
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Giddy_up » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 8:45 am

How far does the groomer go down that way, if it's to the yards you could ask them to check as they go past?
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby bailz66 » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 10:19 am

The Spot 3 has come out

http://au.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=100

The bits that would help for you

Check In: Let family and friends know you're ok when you're out of cell phone range. Send a pre-programmed text message with GPS coordinates or an email with a link to Google Maps™ to your contacts with your location. With a push of a button, a message is sent via email or SMS to up to 10 pre-determined contacts and your waypoint is stored in your SPOT account for later reference. Your stored waypoints can be easily integrated into a SPOT Shared Page or SPOT Adventure account.

Battery life on these is pretty good and if it was only switched on when used it should be fine especially with Tracking turned off.

A telstra pre-paid phone might also be a benifit. I wonder if an Aldi Sim would do the job. We bought an Aldi sim which works of the Telstra network for $5 and it can be just inserted into any old phone.
bailz66
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bailz66 » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 10:21 am

Also able to send SOS messages to emergency services and a help me message to you for non life threatening situations
bailz66
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 11:54 am

If Moondog is in range of a Telstra tower I think he can make an emergency call by dialling 112 with his Optus mobile.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 2:27 pm

Cecile wrote:

The best is the Delorme InReach as it is a two way device: It knows when the message has or has not been received by the satellite. Unfortunately this comes at a higher cost in the hardware and the fees.

Next would be the YellowBrick which is more expensive to buy but has the advantage that you can turn off the service for months you are not using it. Over years, this may work out cheaper than the delorme.

Then along comes the Spot. It works, but it is a one way device. It sends a message and assumes the message was received by the satellite. Generally pretty reliable depending on location though. Cheaper to buy and cheaper service fees.

The trend is to connect these devices to your smartphone for extra features like receiving incoming texts. For this to work, you need a two way device and an Android or iPhone smartphone.

The remaining option would be to hire (or borrow) a satellite phone for Moondog to take with him. It may work out about the same cost for a short trip.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 2:41 pm

SPOT has to keep moving ahead of the curve as one-way messaging is coming to PLBs. Then InReach type of technology will merge with sat phone. Deja vu, the evolution of pager to mobiles of the 90s all over again.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Nuts » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 5:28 pm

Good luck to m'dog. I think he needs better comms. Especially if others, and newbies are heading up there.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Strider » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 5:31 pm

Nuts wrote:Good luck to m'dog. I think he needs better comms. Especially if others, and newbies are heading up there.

Nothing to stop others taking this responsibility unto themselves. I don't buy into the whole "trip leader" philosophy.
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 5:39 pm

Strider wrote:
Nuts wrote:Good luck to m'dog. I think he needs better comms. Especially if others, and newbies are heading up there.

Nothing to stop others taking this responsibility unto themselves. I don't buy into the whole "trip leader" philosophy.

I think it goes without saying Strider. If you go to such places you must be able to take responsibility for your self.
Otherwise you shouldn't be going. It's not Moondog's lot to be burdened with responsibility of others.
I do agree to some extent with Nuts that it would be handy for "visitors" if better comms were available and I'm sure Cecile would be a lot more relaxed.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby +dj_hansen+ » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 6:04 pm

I know its a while off yet..

But i was thinking of heading up the weekend of 9/10 august.

I'd be happy to take in a Telstra pre-paid sim if it was of any use, or anything else he wants or needs. Roast dinner might be tricky, but I do have a Macpac cascade... ;)

Might be looking for a few passengers too if anyone is interested. Leaving eastern suburbs friday afternoon, sleep over at Mt Beauty somewhere, then up Saturday morning and home late sunday. Just split gate entry ($40 i think) and buy me a few coffees on the way to cover fuel.
+dj_hansen+
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Cecile » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 6:21 pm

What a great bunch you all are, and thank you. Yes, he needs better comms, and +dj_hansen+ if we can hook up I might get you to take a couple of things up, if needed. Can you PM me your location please? And re roast chook, you may or may not know that he's a chef, and can cook a feast even over an open fire.

I called the ranger today. They know him well, and spoke with him on Monday. She seemed to think he was holed up at PV hut, which indicates that conditions overall are very bad in the very exposed spot he chose at the horse yards. I suspect he may very well be snowed in. She told me that weather has been very snowy and cold, but should clear over the next couple of days. Rangers had gone up yesterday to check the fox baits, but it was snowing so hard they did not get out as far as Pretty Valley.

I'm a bit more relaxed about it, but still worrying some!
Cecile
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby icefest » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 6:43 pm

Well, that's a relief. Awful weather up there now. I hope that the half load of firewood that was left is enough.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Cecile » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 8:02 pm

icefest wrote:Well, that's a relief. Awful weather up there now. I hope that the half load of firewood that was left is enough.

According to the ranger there's a full load of wood in the hut, and the rangers are up there frequently.
Cecile
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Travis22 » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 11:03 pm

Hi Cecile (Travis here - I bought Teds old swag)

I'm sure he's having a great trip out there!

I'd love to join him out there but bubs #2 isn't far off now.

Travis.
Travis22
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby stry » Fri 18 Jul, 2014 9:12 am

Ah the electronic age.

I don't think "comms" are what a sojourn such as MDs is about. (not criticizing Nuts, just saying :) )

The world can be shrunk and the adventure diminished by too much of this stuff.
stry
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Cecile » Fri 18 Jul, 2014 10:05 am

stry wrote:I don't think "comms" are what a sojourn such as MDs is about.

"Comms" are mostly about keeping a wife from worrying too much!
Cecile
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby cajun » Fri 18 Jul, 2014 12:28 pm

Cecile - I agree.

There is much to be said for "happy wife - happy life" :P :lol:
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars.
cajun
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Cecile » Fri 18 Jul, 2014 5:02 pm

OK...a phone call. Not too much information, except he's heading home until the end of the month. But not before the drama of lost car keys, and the spare is of course here in Geelong. That includes the keys to the house, his car, and all his camp equipment boxes. RACV can't get a locksmith out there until tomorrow and the cost...let's not even go there. Anyway he's been safe, just horrible weather.
Cecile
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Cecile » Fri 18 Jul, 2014 9:40 pm

Updating. Ted is staying in a lodge tonight, and is feeling much better after a hot hot shower and some food. He said that overall conditions were too dangerous to venture too far from the campsite, so he mostly stayed put. He has the big tent up, and the little stove is "sort of" working. The Megamid tent is totally kaput, but it's 30 years old and has lived a useful life. His comment was that the snowfall is 1981 revisited.

And for the blokes, a TMI that he found funny: never underestimate the size of your pee bottle.
Last edited by Cecile on Fri 18 Jul, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cecile
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Fri 18 Jul, 2014 9:52 pm

Thanks for the updates, Cecile. You're a trouper yourself, you know. :wink:
Great to hear he's safe and well. Sleep well tonight, keys and locks notwithstanding. :)
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

PreviousNext

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes