Winter snow camp at Donna Buang

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Winter snow camp at Donna Buang

Postby GBW » Mon 04 Aug, 2014 8:31 pm

Walked from 10 Mile Picnic area to Mt Boobyalla on our maiden snow adventure. Only 7km there but fantastic conditions...no wind, 20-30cm snow, snowing while we were walking, it was just awesome, and our gear held up to a sub zero night. If you're wanting to get into camping in the snow then I'd recommend this walk. You just have to be there at the right time. Also, watch access up because they do close the road due to ice. There was a rusty old sign 400m down from Donna Buang summit saying "DO NOT PASS THIS POINT IN WINTER" but I immediately had this image of a guy in a windcheater, jeans and runners and didn't take it seriously. We were the only two carrying packs! The track is well marked and apart from a few overgrown sections pretty easy to navigate.
Some photos here...
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.738147129575070&type=1&l=5a133b4208
Cheers.
Attachments
IMG_6061.JPG
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Winter snow camp at Donna Buang

Postby neilmny » Tue 05 Aug, 2014 4:47 am

Great bunch of photos GBW. It looks like you had a great time.
We saw that warning sign in one of our summer wanderings I reckon it has been around for a very long time.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GBW » Tue 05 Aug, 2014 4:04 pm

Thanks neilmny. There was a bit more snow than we expected, probably enough to warrant snowshoes, so when we got there we walked 600m up from the carpark without the packs just to check it out and came to the conclusion it was fine to walk in with boots and gaiters. My partner had never been to the snow so she was amazed with the frozen scenery and hasn't stopped raving about it since we got home. I'm still a little unsure whether camping is permitted there, but in the end I didn't think it would cause any harm to anything or anyone.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby walkon » Tue 05 Aug, 2014 5:33 pm

Gbw, get it right you weren't actually camping at Donna Buang. You failed to reach your destination, in the interests of safety and survival you had to set up a bivouac or did you lob into the hut. Once there safe and warm you reassessed the situation and decided to make back for the car the next day, you being safety conscious and all that. Next time get some snow shoes from somewhere its a lot easier and more fun. Who knows you might get stuck out again, Lake mountain and Mt St Gwinear are good for L platers as well. More options to go higher at Gwinear and further plus it's free, also when you pass Erica you can hire snow shoes there. Just have to have chains though. Happy snow camping and I hope you get stuck out again, at your discretion of course ;)

Ps mt stirling is great as well lots of huts so you camp out or hut it. Eat inside then go out to the tent whatever. Also you can hire snow shoes from Telegraph box junction which is where you Park your car and go from there.
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby GBW » Tue 05 Aug, 2014 5:48 pm

Baw Baw is on my ever expanding list walkon, I'm starting from the bottom and working my way up. And your explanation of our situation, well, why didn't I think of that. :)
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Tue 05 Aug, 2014 6:11 pm

GBW wrote:Thanks neilmny. There was a bit more snow than we expected, probably enough to warrant snowshoes, so when we got there we walked 600m up from the carpark without the packs just to check it out and came to the conclusion it was fine to walk in with boots and gaiters. My partner had never been to the snow so she was amazed with the frozen scenery and hasn't stopped raving about it since we got home. I'm still a little unsure whether camping is permitted there, but in the end I didn't think it would cause any harm to anything or anyone.

Well she did a great job for someone who had never been to the snow.........she looked very at home in the pictures.
Mind you pictures don't have sound :shock: :lol:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GBW » Tue 05 Aug, 2014 7:08 pm

Well, there was the odd swear word involved, but she's a trooper neilmny, and she loves a challenge, and that's what bushwalking is all about.
Last edited by GBW on Tue 05 Aug, 2014 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby sim1oz » Tue 05 Aug, 2014 7:28 pm

Looks like you both had fun. The photos were great so thanks for sharing. Hoping to take our kids on their first snow camp this coming weekend.
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GBW » Tue 05 Aug, 2014 8:10 pm

Thanks sim1oz. Where are you going?
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby andrewbish » Wed 06 Aug, 2014 6:42 am

Great pics. I love the way snow transforms the bush into a 'magical white wonderland'
Twitter: @andrewbishxplor Blog: Trails & tracks
andrewbish

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes