Trappers Gap to Mt Bogong

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Trappers Gap to Mt Bogong

Postby peregrinator » Fri 27 Feb, 2015 11:58 am

With a spare day available after walking in the Mt Wills and Fainter -- Jaithmathang areas a couple of weeks ago, I revisited part of a walk I'd made in 2001. On that trip, starting from Trappers Gap, I climbed Mt Bogong via Eskdale Spur before heading south for a few days. This time it was an out and back one-day walk, starting and finishing at Trappers Gap.

The map I used in 2001 was Trappers Gap 1:25k, 3rd edition, 1983. I've since got the Spatial Vision 2011 Bogong map. It shows the tracks here exactly as on that 1983 map!

I could see the track I took in 2001 heading south-east, steeply uphill, mostly hidden behind a large mound. Going east from the gap was a new road, signed "Camp Creek 5.5". My recollection was that this had been a very minor track (Trappers Creek Track), so I was a little confused. For the latest mapping, see:

http://nremap-sc.nre.vic.gov.au/MapShare.v2/imf.jsp?site=forestexplorer

I took the old track SE and soon confirmed it was the route I'd taken previously. But after 45 minutes, with a few fallen trees and limbs and a little encroaching vegetation in places, this track ended at a new, wide road. Following it generally SE I got to Camp Creek Gap in about 35 minutes. The latter section is boring in comparison to the first one, but at least is mostly fairly level. And this route does at least provide an alternative to Staircase Spur, in case you've done that too many times already. It is possible of course that a continuation of the old track might be found heading away from the new road and joining it further south.

Of interest on the old track are a few views of Staircase Spur and the top of the range, but rather limited due to thick vegetation. See:

http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=6027&start=8070
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes