Cathedral Ranges in a day

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Cathedral Ranges in a day

Postby Earwig » Mon 13 Apr, 2015 10:30 pm

A day's hike in the Cathedral Ranges - a long, tiring day's walking covering the entire range. My preference is slow hiking, plenty of time to explore, but that seems to becoming less common. On my last two hikes I have walked with people who have raced past what I reckon is interesting stuff - dragonflies, lizards, a touch of geology. Am I now a dinosaur?

http://ian-folly.blogspot.com.au/2015/04/cathedral-ranges-quickly.html
Live life moving around so when you're dead people can tell the difference.
MY HIKING BLOG http://ian-folly.blogspot.com/
Earwig
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Cathedral Ranges in a day

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 14 Apr, 2015 9:02 am

Nice pics and report. I agree about not rushing - take time to enjoy the views. For maybe 45 years the track has gone through and below Wells Cave. It may have chnaged but if you come to the cave hop down a few levels to the track, or just sidle round until you are below the ascent gully, and then go up in series of easy steps. Not hard. There is also a track that ascends the summit by curving left from the day shelter. Oxfam involves walking fast on level surfaces, and as such Sugarloaf is not a very good training walk. The scope for misadventure due to excessive speed is a little high for my liking.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Empty » Tue 14 Apr, 2015 9:30 am

Nice report! I share your pain in remembering a similar group I used to walk with in the Kananagra and Wollemi areas of Sydney. They would set a punishing pace mainly off track picking the hardest and most remote routes. The bush would fairly flash past until you gout to a steep uphill at the top of which one or two would exchange comments as to whether they made it up just breathing through their nose! A test of strength apparently.

I am now a much happier subscriber to the 'take time to smell the roses' philosophy.
I may be doing the typing but Steve Jobs is doing the spelling!
Empty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby hobbitle » Tue 14 Apr, 2015 9:37 am

Inspired to do this walk! Thanks for the report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hobbitle
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Tue 14 Apr, 2015 10:57 am

Earwig wrote:A day's hike in the Cathedral Ranges - a long, tiring day's walking covering the entire range. My preference is slow hiking, plenty of time to explore, but that seems to becoming less common. On my last two hikes I have walked with people who have raced past what I reckon is interesting stuff - dragonflies, lizards, a touch of geology. Am I now a dinosaur?

http://ian-folly.blogspot.com.au/2015/04/cathedral-ranges-quickly.html

You are not a dinosaur Ian.......I can't see the point in bolting for the destination and forgetting the journey.
It's amazing how many critters, wild flowers and stunning glimpses (of places that the bolters miss) can be seen, if you keep your eyes open.
I walked a bit of the Dandenongs the other day with my daughter and her new camera. We did about 6km. She took over 100 pictures....definitley taking our time. :wink:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby JohnStrider » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 2:21 pm

What section of the Dandenongs did you do, Neil?
JohnStrider
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 3:23 pm

JohnStrider wrote:What section of the Dandenongs did you do, Neil?

The Bartlett Road, Rifle Range Gully Track near Olinda.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby JohnStrider » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 3:24 pm

Love the Arboretum. One of my favourite parts of the Dandenongs to go hiking in.
JohnStrider
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Hallu » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 6:47 pm

Are you sure the first pic isn't a mountain dragon (Rankinia diemensis) ? They are very similar, hard to diffentiate them, only way to know for sure is the inside of their mouth : pink for the mountain dragon, yellow for the other one.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Empty » Wed 15 Apr, 2015 6:56 pm

Jacky lizard is simply the commonly used or loacal nickname for a that lizard that may be properly call a mountain dragon (or some other dragon). Calling it a jacky is not to suggest that is the type of lizard. Just like calling a magpie lark a pee wee. Depending on where you live in Australia you have your own local names for things. That's what Aussie do - stuff up names for fun.
I may be doing the typing but Steve Jobs is doing the spelling!
Empty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Earwig » Thu 16 Apr, 2015 4:42 pm

I didn't get a look inside the little critter's mouth, but I believe it was a Tree Dragon (Amphibolurus muricatus) rather than the Mountain Dragon. The id is based on advice from a friend who's into frogs and lizards and stuff like that. I also thought Mountain Dragons were blue inside the mouth, not pink, but may be that's a boy girl dragon thing.
Live life moving around so when you're dead people can tell the difference.
MY HIKING BLOG http://ian-folly.blogspot.com/
Earwig
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes