Mt Clear Circuit

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mt Clear Circuit

Postby pazzar » Fri 02 Oct, 2015 8:32 pm

I've been procrastinating this evening so I written up a little report from a trip to Mt Clear last December. Check it out at my (inconsistently used) blog.

https://tassiemountaingoat.wordpress.com

Cheers,

Pazzar
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mt Clear Circuit

Postby neilmny » Fri 02 Oct, 2015 8:45 pm

Nice report Pazzar, thanks for posting.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby gmac » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 8:52 pm

Completed the circuit over Saturday and Sunday. Drove into the campsite Friday evening on the river about 1km from where the Nobs Track starts to climb. Next day the 5 of us started about 7.15 and made the long steep climb up to where the AAWT intersects. From here it was the left turn and off across The Nobs, High Cone, Square Top and then Mt Clear. The weather started off dry and clear but that soon changed once we hit the ridgeline with consistent wind, rain and low cloud for most of the traverse. Luckily it did break to allow for some views and had cleared nicely for the summit of Mt Clear.

When then made our way off Mt Clear and down to the Mt Clear track and around to the campsite. Early start the next day and we were back at the cars by 9.45. The track down was good no trees down and very little regrowth.

The track is still very light or non existent in a number of places and we had to back track on Square Top as we missed the foot pad to Mt Clear (the weather didn't with the visuals). Overall the 5 of us, none of which had been in this area, totally enjoyed the walk despite the variable weather.
Attachments
100_5069.JPG
100_5071.JPG
100_5088.JPG
gmac
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby gmac » Tue 03 Nov, 2015 8:57 pm

A few more pics
Attachments
100_5100.JPG
100_5113.JPG
100_5114.JPG
gmac
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby neilmny » Wed 04 Nov, 2015 7:44 am

Nice photos gmac thanks for posting.
The weather looks a bit wild and wet in the last one.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildlight » Wed 04 Nov, 2015 12:08 pm

Fantastic gmac, the trip report and photos. It's an area I never seem to get enough of.
Thanks again
WildLight
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby gmac » Thu 05 Nov, 2015 7:17 am

The weather was very mixed with a dry overnight camp on Friday in the valley. The rain then drifted in and out while walking across the ridge, along with the cloud. Stopped for the walk across Mt Clear and the overnight camp. Then a pretty good thunder storm on the way down. Apart from getting a little damp the walking conditions were pretty good.

Yep my first time to this area and I can see myself coming back. My next task will be the section from Mt Clear through to my other favourite spot Mt Speculation
gmac
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby pazzar » Sun 08 Nov, 2015 12:58 pm

Did you find any streams or pools up around the valley between summits? It was incredibly dry when I was there, but there was signs that seasonal creeks occurred.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby gmac » Thu 12 Nov, 2015 6:18 am

Hi Pazzar

Despite the rain coming down while walking no sighting of any streams, there was the occasional very shallow pooling on some rocks.

Plenty of water in the creek near the overnight campsite as detailed in the book.
gmac
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes