Keppels hut to Lake Mtn. Boundary hut ruins

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Keppels hut to Lake Mtn. Boundary hut ruins

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 20 Jan, 2016 9:09 pm

Hi,
Today a friend and I went out along Lady Talbot drive from Marysville to walk up to Lake mtn. the back way . It wasn't too hot so that was in our favour . Lady Talbot road after Phantom falls is in a excremental condition, barely acceptable for 2 WD and better for a 4 WD rather than my little Jap. hatchback . I had it in Low gear much of the way. It was slow going .
We left the car at the Lady Talbot road/ Upper Taggerty Road Junction and walked up to the hut. The whole area by the road shoulders has been cleared of dead timber.
It is a nice little hut in a good quiet spot and it was my first visit there.

We took the topographical map and compass and found the track up to the Boundary hut ruins , heading East onto Lake Mtn.'s plateau. The walking track is in good order with newly added orange arrows on the trees and new looking signage at the Huts loop trail track intersection.
It is not too hard for a day walk at all even for non hiking addicts.
There was even a loo roll at the Keppell's hut poo house.
I now know how to evade the winter gate fee at Lake mtn. as long as I have a 4 WD and snow shoes and poles.

During the whole drive up there on Lady Talbot Drive and back , it was infested with Bunnies. They are a feral pest . The State Government needs to get some funds together, pull out their collective fingers and eradicate these bunnies. They are breeding like rabbits.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.
Region: Victoria

Re: Keppels hut to Lake Mtn. Boundary hut ruins

Postby Earwig » Tue 02 Feb, 2016 12:40 pm

Howdy PCV. I was think of heading that way, maybe this weekend. My plan is to hike from Lake Mountain to Keppels Hut and back the next day. I was wondering if you noticed Goulds Track and what condition it is in. It's an old four wheel drive track that links Taggerty Road with the Keppels Hut-Boundary Hut walking track - you would have passed it's northern end about 500m south of Keppels Hut while on your way to Boundary Hut. It's marked on some maps as overgrown, closed etc. and not marked at all on others.
Live life moving around so when you're dead people can tell the difference.
MY HIKING BLOG http://ian-folly.blogspot.com/
Earwig
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 02 Feb, 2016 1:30 pm

I know nothing about Gould's road. I went in my 2 WD from Lady Talbot drive ( a dodgy 4 WD track at best , my car was only just OK on that track ) to Upper Taggerty road. I left the car there at that junction and walked up to Keppel's hut. From there my friend and I walked up to the Boundary hut ruins at Lake mtn. and back to the car in a day.
Heaven help you if rains a lot and you don't have a monster Tonka toy 4WD to get you out of there.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Earwig » Mon 08 Feb, 2016 1:31 pm

I left my dodgy four wheel drive at Lake Mountain. See the trip report elsewhere, but thanks PCV for reminding me to head up there.
Live life moving around so when you're dead people can tell the difference.
MY HIKING BLOG http://ian-folly.blogspot.com/
Earwig
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes