Lake Mountain to Keppel's Hut and back

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Lake Mountain to Keppel's Hut and back

Postby Earwig » Mon 08 Feb, 2016 1:28 pm

A lovely sunny weekend was forecast so a walk over Lake Mountain to Keppel’s Hut seemed a good idea. I left the carpark and numerous cyclists at Lake Mountain about 2pm and started wandering up the skitrails. Insects galore, but only three other people in the first hour or so. The last person, rather disconcertingly, talked about snakes reminding me that, walking solo, being bitten would be a bad idea. I trudged on, leaving the wide open, grassy ski-trails for the less maintained, ungroomed track to Boundary Hut, or what’s left of Boundary Hut. I had been here before many years ago when the area was under snow because I can remember seeing only a few bricks.

A sign on the track just past Boundary Hut warned me that I was now heading into a remote area and that if I wasn’t properly equipped I’d probably die a horrible death. Sounded like fun so I wandered on. At this point the track is next to an alpine boggy-marshy swampy area that seems to drain onto the track for about ten metres. It was slow going as I kept having to stop to take photos of dragonflies.

The track was easy going through open Snow Gum forest before descending a bit more steeply through Alpine Ash regrowth. There was lots of dead ash trees from the Black Saturday fires of 2009, most of them still standing but a few lying down over the track. While it looked like a lot of work had been done keeping the track open it is going to be endless task as the trees are going to keep falling for a long time yet. Alpine Ash regenerates from seed and the regrowth is quite thick meaning that there are few views and no air movement. Hot, sweaty walking.

Eventually the track spat me out on a four wheel drive track about 100m from the hut. There was one other person camping overnight, a four wheel driver by the name of VK3MRG – a short wave radio enthusiast busy rigging aerials for better reception. We chatted over dinner, chatted to people in Europe and listened to planes flying from Tonga to Auckland. He helped eat my chocolate and I helped drink his wine. The hut is a great camp spot – plenty of space for tents (the hut sleeps four if you need to) and there’s water in the creek running nearby.

The next day was back-tracking up the hot, sweaty hill and along the ski-trails. My original plan had me heading down Goulds Track, which connects the walking track to Upper Taggerty Road, and then to Snowy Hill. Goulds Track appears on some maps but is so overgrown I couldn’t see it though I could easily pick the ridge where it should be. While it is less than a kilometre to Upper Taggerty Road, I thought it might be a bit too epic for a solo trip, especially as my phone was dead at this stage, and stuck with the walking track.

TIME AND DISTANCE: Around 8km and two to three hours walking each way.
NAVIGATION: All very easy on marked trails and I only looked at my map to see where Gould’s Track should be. Rooftop’s Big River–Rubicon –Woods Point has the tracks marked. The Recreation Trails and Tracks Map on Lake Mountain’s website, also drawn by Rooftop, is good for a mud map http://lakemountainresort.com.au/maps.

1 - Lake Moutnain Plateau.jpg
1 - Lake Moutnain Plateau.jpg (51.32 KiB) Viewed 7382 times

Lake Mountain plateau

2 - Boundary Hut ruins.jpg
2 - Boundary Hut ruins.jpg (63.47 KiB) Viewed 7382 times

Boundary Hut - what's left of it.

3 - dragonfly.jpg
3 - dragonfly.jpg (47.08 KiB) Viewed 7382 times

One of the zillion dragonflies

5 - Keppel Hut track.jpg
5 - Keppel Hut track.jpg (67.96 KiB) Viewed 7382 times

The dangerous track

6 - camp at the hut.jpg
6 - camp at the hut.jpg (51.95 KiB) Viewed 7382 times

Keppel's Hut
Live life moving around so when you're dead people can tell the difference.
MY HIKING BLOG http://ian-folly.blogspot.com/
Earwig
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Lake Mountain to Keppel's Hut and back

Postby neilmny » Mon 08 Feb, 2016 5:04 pm

Nice report and photos Ian, thanks for posting.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 09 Feb, 2016 5:43 pm

It wasn 't too hot when we went recently.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby JohnStrider » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 3:56 pm

I love that hut.

I was up there Melbourne Cup Weekend. We hiked from Marysville up Lady Talbot Drive to get there. Rained all day. Glad you had good weather for your trip.

Love the pics :)
JohnStrider
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes