Labour Day w.end 2016 Bogong High Plains and Mt Bogong

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Labour Day w.end 2016 Bogong High Plains and Mt Bogong

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 30 Mar, 2016 7:12 pm

Hi
I led a small group of VNPA hikers from Watchbed creek to Mountain creek on 12,13,14/3/16.
It was a long tough hike.
The weather was very good and we all completed the route as planned.
Day one was easy from Watchbed creek to Roper's hut via Edmondson's hut for lunch.
The sunset at Roper's was super.
The next day was a long tough hike down Duane spur. The track has been cleared in some places but is full of post fire regrowth saplings on the track in other sections. It is rather steep and the bush was wet from rain so I got soaked, since I was leading the group. There were leeches out there too. How do they get into your long gaiters? I don't know.
The river crossing at Big River was not as scary as we though it might be. It was pouring with rain on Friday night and on Sat. morning.
The ascent up the T spur was a real test. T is for torture. It was sunny and humid so it could have been worse if it was raining , but we were all pouring with sweat .
We all took at rest at the T spur knob . I ran out of water around that point and thankfully the stream at the top of the T spur was flowing nicely . Then we slogged it onto the campsite at Cleve Cole hut. It was quite busy .
The weather stayed dry so we didn't need to use the hut at all . The stream below the hut was flowing and I got water from there that was very clear.
The last day was the summit push in perfect weather to the top of Mt Bogong. The descent to Mountain creek was brutal , I don't like going down and the Eskdale spur never gets any easier. I was rogered for days after that but I don't have to do that again .I have ticked it off my list .
I think I will try the Quartz ridge at the same time next year.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.
Region: Victoria

Re: Labour Day w.end 2016 Bogong High Plains and Mt Bogong

Postby Camminata » Wed 30 Mar, 2016 8:02 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Hi
I led a small group of VNPA hikers from Watchbed creek to Mountain creek on 12,13,14/3/16.
It was a long tough hike.
The weather was very good and we all completed the route as planned.
Day one was easy from Watchbed creek to Roper's hut via Edmondson's hut for lunch.
The sunset at Roper's was super.
The next day was a long tough hike down Duane spur. The track has been cleared in some places but is full of post fire regrowth saplings on the track in other sections. It is rather steep and the bush was wet from rain so I got soaked, since I was leading the group. There were leeches out there too. How do they get into your long gaiters? I don't know.
The river crossing at Big River was not as scary as we though it might be. It was pouring with rain on Friday night and on Sat. morning.
The ascent up the T spur was a real test. T is for torture. It was sunny and humid so it could have been worse if it was raining , but we were all pouring with sweat .
We all took at rest at the T spur knob . I ran out of water around that point and thankfully the stream at the top of the T spur was flowing nicely . Then we slogged it onto the campsite at Cleve Cole hut. It was quite busy .
The weather stayed dry so we didn't need to use the hut at all . The stream below the hut was flowing and I got water from there that was very clear.
The last day was the summit push in perfect weather to the top of Mt Bogong. The descent to Mountain creek was brutal , I don't like going down and the Eskdale spur never gets any easier. I was rogered for days after that but I don't have to do that again .I have ticked it off my list .
I think I will try the Quartz ridge at the same time next year.

Nice report i will be doing this route again i loved the torture!! We started at Howmans crossing Rocky Valley creek was not so easy at almost waist height, most of us opted for some slippy rock hopping or crawling more like it. A bathe in the creek at the bottom of the Staircase was well deserved , thanks for the tunes at Ropers :)
The Inbetween Is Mine
Camminata
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://hikingtales55.blogspot.com
Region: Victoria

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes