Clover Dam to Bogong Village - the scenic route

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Clover Dam to Bogong Village - the scenic route

Postby scroggin » Thu 21 Apr, 2016 6:29 pm

My friend and I decided to go for a two night walk where we had limited time on the first and last days. After a lot of discussion on the drive up and feeling confident in our abilities we decided to take on Mt Bogong from Clover Dam returning to Bogong Village via Spion Kopje. We arrived at 2:30pm at the gate to the track that leads down to the river just down stream of Clover Dam. My friend continued driving on to the Bogong Picnic Ground to drop off the car and return by bike (~6km). By the time we set off it was already 3:30pm in the middle of April, so we knew there was not much sunlight left, but we were comforted in the knowledge that when it did get dark we would be on vehicle tracks.

We headed down the track, crossed the river which seemed to flow less than what we could see coming over the dam wall and headed up the other side until we reached the tramway/aqueduct which we followed east for the rest of it's entirety to the East Kiewa Fire Track, then Big River Fire Track all the way to Bogong Creek Saddle for camp at some time after 7:00 and dark. This route which I've never done before has great views of the western slopes of Mt Bogong (more precisely West peak and the next days challenge of Quartz Ridge. Bogong Creek had a good flow of water which gladly saved us from a 2km return trip to Big River.

The next day we got up early knowing that we were in for a big day as we wanted to make it to Roper Hut before night fall (~6:30). So by 7:30am we were on our way filling up with water before we tackle Mt Bogong. I decided to break the day up into 4 parts with Mt Bogong being the first part, so onwards and upwards and by about 10:00 we were resting on the Summit and snacking on chocolate. No time for too much rest, we headed towards Cleve Cole Hut for a toilet stop before making our way down to Howmans Falls for lunch and the end of the second part. Next was Big River before the hard climb up to Ropers hut. I was exhausted when I reached the hut by about 5:30. I was shaking and suffering a fever which I couldn't decide was viral, water I drank or just pure exhaustion. I didn't feel like eating and after over 2 hours rugged up in front of the fire at Roper Hut I started to feel better, unfortunately dinner was now off the menu so I had some scroggin and went to bed deciding it must of been exhaustion.

The next day saw us round over Spion Kopje following the well used track back to Bogong Village. There were hundreds of trees down between the Howmans Gap turn off and Rocky Valley Creek which slowed down progress but we still manage to make it back to the car by 12:30pm which was our aim.

Overall it is a great walk which is probably best done over 4 full days as opposed to 2 half and one full day.
Last edited by scroggin on Fri 22 Apr, 2016 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
scroggin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Clover Dam to Bogong Village - the scenic route

Postby neilmny » Thu 21 Apr, 2016 7:29 pm

Nice report scroggin, thanks for posting, any photos?
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bigkev » Thu 28 Apr, 2016 5:42 pm

Hi Scroggin,

Interesting trip, I walked the tramway/aqueduct on a circuit walk up there around 20 years ago. On my ramble I started and finished at Bogong Village and walked via Fainter around to Edmonson's Hut. Then down Duane Spur and up T Spur, over Bogong and onto Quartz Ridge (where I had a great high camp), on my last day I walked from around Quartz Knob back to Bogong Village via the tramway. It was a great walk but one of the reasons that I haven't revisited it was that I seem to remember that the tramway /aqueduct section had big keep out signs everywhere - I went through anyway but have always thought it best not to push my luck again :) Out of curiosity are the signs still there as I'd love to get back up and do the circuit again.

Cheers Kevin
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 5:24 am

I think there is still an exclusion zone in parts of that area due to the hydro system. We came down Big River fire trail onto Ropers spur track in January and saw a few signs. That track was fine but some off it were not. Little Arthur fire trail could be worth a look.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 2:23 pm

Down The T spur to Big River then up to Roper's hut or the other way is more than enough for anybody in one day.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Fri 29 Apr, 2016 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby bigkev » Fri 29 Apr, 2016 2:52 pm

Hi Xplora,
Thanks for that, yeah I was guessing that the restrictions may be still in place.
Cheers Kevin
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby scroggin » Mon 02 May, 2016 12:50 pm

Cheers Kevin[/quote]
neilmny wrote:Nice report scroggin, thanks for posting, any photos?

Hi Kevin, my friend is the one with the camera and hopefully will eventually send me the photos, which I will post

bigkev wrote:Hi Scroggin,

Interesting trip, I walked the tramway/aqueduct on a circuit walk up there around 20 years ago. On my ramble I started and finished at Bogong Village and walked via Fainter around to Edmonson's Hut. Then down Duane Spur and up T Spur, over Bogong and onto Quartz Ridge (where I had a great high camp), on my last day I walked from around Quartz Knob back to Bogong Village via the tramway. It was a great walk but one of the reasons that I haven't revisited it was that I seem to remember that the tramway /aqueduct section had big keep out signs everywhere - I went through anyway but have always thought it best not to push my luck again :) Out of curiosity are the signs still there as I'd love to get back up and do the circuit again.

Cheers Kevin

There were signs at the start and end of the track, but truth be told we never really gave it a second thought, I can't even remember what the signs said. The bridge is down, but it's easy to walk across the covered aqueduct, as the drop on the right side (which I bias to) is just a couple of meters. you could just as easily walk on the side of the hill.
scroggin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bigkev » Mon 02 May, 2016 6:38 pm

Thanks for the info Scroggin.

Cheers Kevin
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides