Mushroom Rocks, Baw Baw NP - in the snow

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mushroom Rocks, Baw Baw NP - in the snow

Postby bigkev » Thu 30 Jun, 2016 7:15 pm

After last Fridays big dump of snow I decided to head up to Mushroom Rocks in Baw Baw NP to check it out covered in the white stuff. Their was a little more snow than I anticipated though, well before reaching the small town of Erica I was driving past snow in the paddocks. As it turned out I had to park after only getting around 1 kilometre up Mt Erica Road, this was due to tree falls mainly but the deep snow would have stopped me eventually anyway.
DSC_0014.JPG
I actually started walking about 1 kilometre up Mt Erica Road, well below the AAWT which is coming in here.

DSC_0044.JPG

DSC_0073.JPG

The walk up through the fresh snow on Mt Erica Road was actually really nice, a real winter wonderland kind of scene. By the time I got up to the Mt Erica Car Park the snow was almost knee deep. The track from the car park to Mushroom Rocks was fairly hard going (for an old bloke!) apart from wading through the ever deepening snow I had to tunnel underneath a few sections of snow covered trees that were basically forming a snow covered canopy over the track.
DSC_0074.JPG
The snow laden trees made the walking track section of the walk tough, in spots I had to tunnel underneath the snow laden branches pushing my pack in front of me.

DSC_0076.JPG

It took me around 4 hours to get up to Mushroom Rocks and according to the GPS I walked just over 8 kilometres on the climb (yeah, I'd parked a long way down Mt Erica Road). The sun appeared while I ate my lunch at Mushroom Rocks so the walk back down was almost as slow, although that was mainly due to me stopping to take photos. Over all I climbed 559m and walked 16.1 kilometres for the day, all in all a good day out really. As usual I've done a post on my blog if anyone wants to check out some more photos, http://goinferalonedayatatime.blogspot. ... -park.html
DSC_0122.JPG
Mushroom Rocks

DSC_0130.JPG

DSC_0146.JPG
It was an awesome days walking breaking tracks through the fresh snow.
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Mushroom Rocks, Baw Baw NP - in the snow

Postby gayet » Thu 30 Jun, 2016 7:20 pm

Gorgeous!
What else can one say.
gayet
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby bigkev » Thu 30 Jun, 2016 7:44 pm

Thanks gayet, glad you like! It was an awesome day, actually it looks like this Saturday may be similar:)
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GBW » Thu 30 Jun, 2016 11:07 pm

Looks beautiful bigkev. Thanks.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby JulianS » Wed 13 Jul, 2016 11:38 am

Looks fantastic.

Can I ask - did you have snow shoes or were post-holing?
JulianS
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby bigkev » Wed 13 Jul, 2016 4:58 pm

Hi Julian, no snow shoes on this walk. If I managed to stay on the track the snow got up to a bit over knee deep, going around the snow laden bushes sometimes meant pushing through snow that was a little deeper. It was a good walk and being a retrace I could always just turn around if it all got too hard. Cheers Kevin.
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby JulianS » Thu 14 Jul, 2016 8:56 am

Nice - thanks for the info
JulianS
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Tortoise » Fri 15 Jul, 2016 9:20 pm

Your post evoked great memories, bigkev. I had a wonderful camp at Mushroom Rocks in the snow, finishing the southern end of the AAWT in reverse. As the snow was falling during the night, I was worried re having to post-hole halfway down the mountain. But in fact it was only a foot or so of snow, which made it easy to make our own steps wherever we wanted to put them. The track was still quite follow-able, and with us being almost dwarfs, the overhanging snow-laden branches weren't a problem. It was a most delightful walk. :D
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby bigkev » Sat 16 Jul, 2016 11:24 am

Hi Tortoise, yes its a beautiful spot in the snow. I found it a bit harder getting underneath the snow laden bushes as I''m 6'3" and with not the most svelte figure :wink: I'm trying to organize the AAWT starting Sept/Oct 2017 (if I can get enough time off work), the theory being that I should get a bit of snow still on the ground at that time of the year...we'll see. Its definitely more pleasing to the eye with a bit of snow about.
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 25 Aug, 2016 12:07 am

It's nice, I like !
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 25 Aug, 2016 10:52 am

Kev, nice pictures and words. The snow was a long way down!

Starting the AAWT in September you will almost certainly have snow above 1500 metres, and especially on areas over 1800 metres such as Jagungal, the Main Range, Cobberas, Mt Wills, Bogong, Bogong High Plains, Viking, Speculation to McDonald and points south. Some roads will be closed, making putting in food drops hard. You may wish to start a thread in the AAWT forum.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 25 Aug, 2016 6:07 pm

Anybody taking on the AAWT in Sept./ Oct. will need to carry snow shoes.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby bigkev » Thu 25 Aug, 2016 8:45 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for checking out the post. The AAWT thing is still firming up, I'm really able to leave any time from late September to Cup Weekend, I'll wait and see what kind of winter we get next year before finally deciding. I'll definitely be checking out the AAWT section of the forum as I get a bit closer.

Cheers Kevin
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes