Moondog's snow trip - Cecile's report

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Re: Moondog's snow trip - Cecile's report

Postby walkon » Sat 16 Jul, 2016 12:26 pm

My telstra network phone works great at Pretty Valley. Depends on the phone I'd say.
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Cecile » Sat 16 Jul, 2016 3:47 pm

A further update and the sky is blue, the snow is fabulous, the mountain is beautiful, the new skis are deemed a success. "My knees are killing me so I"m calling it quits for the day, so I have enough oomph to get out to my camp, but I'm coming back tomorrow." Apparently the trip UP the mountain is 20 or so minutes, plus the same waiting in the queue for the chair, and less than five minutes down.
Cecile
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 18 Jul, 2016 6:19 am

Things seems to be working out, but not for mice. The figures are interesting: 40 minutes not skiing and five minutes skiing, which means 8-10 runs a day. Hence, for a weekend the return on investment is not a lot. During the week would be better.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Cecile » Mon 18 Jul, 2016 8:13 am

Lophophaps wrote:Things seems to be working out, but not for mice. The figures are interesting: 40 minutes not skiing and five minutes skiing, which means 8-10 runs a day. Hence, for a weekend the return on investment is not a lot. During the week would be better.

Indeed! He has a season ticket though, so can get out there whenever the weather's not keeping him up on the high plains.
Cecile
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sim1oz » Tue 19 Jul, 2016 11:45 pm

Hi Cecile, Go for it!
Also, I'll let you know when we are heading up for the weekend and perhaps we can give you a ride. So much snow to play in... would be a shame to miss out - and I am sure Ted would be happy to spend some time in a heated room with queen bed.
Cheers!
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Cecile » Fri 22 Jul, 2016 9:43 pm

9pm phone call. Weird that he's been able to call so late.

Me: I'll call you right back
Ted: No don't, I'm on a public phone.
Me: WT *$&#?
Ted: "Leave a light on, I'll be home in four or so hours"
Me: Wait, why? What happened? Where are you?
Ted: I'm in Myrtleford. I need a break, and you need a cuddle. I had a bad fall in the tent and I hurt my knee. The weather is so awful, there's no snow in the village......

Then the call dropped out.

I presume he lost his phone, too.
Cecile
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stansi » Fri 22 Jul, 2016 9:55 pm

Great to hear H's OK.
I was thinking of Him. With this weather.
Plenty of the white season still left for adventure.
See You in the mountains.

Ian
stansi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Cecile » Sat 23 Jul, 2016 10:42 am

Sadly, the camera broke when he was on Wombat's Ramble. He was trying to avoid a tadpole, about two years old, and in doing so ended up with the tips of both skis planted in a little snow bank. He said that he ended up with his legs in the air, skis crossed, laughing. Camera was in the bum bag, and the LCD is broken. Interestingly, it's still taking good photos. Sadly though, he didn't know this when he saw the huge moon shining, and a train of about a dozen snowmobiles in silhouette, headlights shining, so that's a photo for his mind only.
Attachments
DSCN0870.JPG
Car camp, night one, at the turnback.
DSCN0870.JPG (129.25 KiB) Viewed 31718 times
DSCN0872.JPG
Day one
DSCN0872.JPG (126.07 KiB) Viewed 31718 times
DSCN0877.JPG
Tent disaster, take one
DSCN0877.JPG (132.29 KiB) Viewed 31718 times
DSCN0880.JPG
Tent disaster take two
DSCN0880.JPG (126.42 KiB) Viewed 31718 times
DSCN0889.JPG
The sled train
DSCN0889.JPG (113.29 KiB) Viewed 31718 times
DSCN0894.JPG
$4 tent with 6mm fibreglass wands. Lasted one night (300mm snowfall) and he was only using it as an emergency
DSCN0894.JPG (133.53 KiB) Viewed 31718 times
DSCN0899.JPG
DSCN0899.JPG (122.4 KiB) Viewed 31718 times
DSCN0900.JPG
DSCN0900.JPG (128.53 KiB) Viewed 31718 times
DSCN0901.JPG
DSCN0901.JPG (130.87 KiB) Viewed 31718 times
Cecile
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 26 Jul, 2016 6:42 pm

Fall's Creek all year round is beautiful. The Bogong high plains float my boat!
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby Cecile » Tue 26 Jul, 2016 10:28 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Fall's Creek all year round is beautiful. The Bogong high plains float my boat!

Ted will be up there for the next three to four weeks at least, he went back this morning. I'm sure he would be happy to share a coffee and/or a glass of port....

Oh wait, an Antichinas drowned in the port. I guess it would have to be coffee.
Cecile
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bailz66 » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 10:32 am

Planning a trip on the weekend of 13/8/2016 if weather looks good

Will say hi for sure
bailz66
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

30 July 2016

Postby Cecile » Sat 30 Jul, 2016 1:29 pm

Today's news. A metre and a half of snow and another tent needs to be dug out. The four days he spent home last weekend meant he was not there to remove the snow, and he said that nearly all the wands have snapped. His big rucksack and emergency supplies were in the hut, and he was glad of it. Today there was a little rain, a freeze, and the track is so slippery he can't get into the village, especially since he has no ski crampons. Apparently it's a good skiing day (according to the FC website) but can't ski if he can't get into the village safely. It took him over three hours to ski from the camp to the cattle grid due to the ice, usually no more than an hour. Doesn't help that the groomers have not been out in over a week.

No one has been out on the high plains - no cross country, no back country, no school groups. He saw the army guys once but they didn't stop to chat. Seems like most of his time has been spent doing field repairs and staying warm, dry and fed.
Cecile
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bailz66 » Tue 02 Aug, 2016 9:31 pm

I have brought forward my trip and will be up there on Saturday and Sunday. Hopefully the groomers get out there at some point between now and then as the weather looks pretty good at the moment. No wind and a very small chance of snow (Touch wood)
bailz66
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Cecile » Tue 02 Aug, 2016 9:37 pm

bailz66 wrote:I have brought forward my trip and will be up there on Saturday and Sunday. Hopefully the groomers get out there at some point between now and then as the weather looks pretty good at the moment. No wind and a very small chance of snow (Touch wood)

Lots of company! There will be another couple out there as well. Not sure about the groomers, but he told me today there's been a lot of snow, and has been too windy for him to get down to the village. He went halfway up Mt McKay today but it was too dangerous to go all the way on his own without a spotter. He plans on going down tomorrow for a shower and to charge up his phone.
Cecile
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sim1oz » Thu 04 Aug, 2016 7:40 am

Just drew up my food shopping list for this weekend. Going to take a few treats for MD :D
Bailz, look forward to meeting you!
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bailz66 » Thu 04 Aug, 2016 6:51 pm

Sounds great!

Sim1oz, are you going to take falls express up and then ski across or just going to set out from the carpark? Will see you there either way, I think we will probably head off around the 9am mark which should put us there just around lunch time if all goes to plan. We will be moving pretty slow but should be enjoyable either way!
bailz66
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Cecile » Thu 04 Aug, 2016 7:56 pm

Ted thought he might stay close to the cattle grid to meet you all. As he told me earlier, the trails were groomed today and it was very easy skiing. He made it from the bottom of the chair lift to the cattle grid in less than half an hour (helped that there was no wind.)

bailz66 wrote:Sounds great!

Sim1oz, are you going to take falls express up and then ski across or just going to set out from the carpark? Will see you there either way, I think we will probably head off around the 9am mark which should put us there just around lunch time if all goes to plan. We will be moving pretty slow but should be enjoyable either way!
Cecile
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bailz66 » Fri 05 Aug, 2016 12:43 pm

Sounds good Cecile,

It will be me with my 8 year old daughter doing the trip so it will be fairly slow. We were thinking about weather to do some practice skiing with Packs before we went up but we will play it by ear.

If Ted is there around 10:30 - 11:30 we will aim to be there in that time frame.

Cheers
bailz66
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bailz66 » Sat 06 Aug, 2016 10:43 am

We are running a bit late will be 12ish at earliest I think
bailz66
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby J M » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 2:54 pm

Okay so a bit of a strange request - my friend is camping up at PV at the moment and dropped her phone at Falls Creek Village. Someone's picked it up and got in contact with me and has apparently dropped it in at lost and found. I was wondering if someone would be able to get in contact with anyone up there at the moment and ask them to pop over to where my friend is staying (probably somewhere near the hut, in a grey tarptent tent)and tell her (Alex) that her phone is at lost property in Falls? They'll be heading home some time tomorrow so no worries if no one can be contacted by then. Thanks guys!
Only those who live on the edge can see the view
J M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Cecile » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 3:40 pm

Not so strange a request, and internet forums are wonderful for connecting. If you're on the Falls Creek facebook page, why not put a post there too? Or, I will if you like.

It's pleasing to know that someone's found the phone and turned it in.

If you tell lost and found you know the owner, they may be able to post it to her. I have no idea what the privacy/protocol for that kind of stuff is.

Ted, sim1oz and her hubby have already left the village and are headed back. None of them had a signal at PV. I have no idea if any of them spoke with your friend, and I won't see them until 7-ish tonight.

J M wrote:Okay so a bit of a strange request - my friend is camping up at PV at the moment and dropped her phone at Falls Creek Village. Someone's picked it up and got in contact with me and has apparently dropped it in at lost and found. I was wondering if someone would be able to get in contact with anyone up there at the moment and ask them to pop over to where my friend is staying (probably somewhere near the hut, in a grey tarptent tent)and tell her (Alex) that her phone is at lost property in Falls? They'll be heading home some time tomorrow so no worries if no one can be contacted by then. Thanks guys!
Cecile
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby J M » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 4:10 pm

Thanks for the reply, it's a good idea to get in contact via their facebook page. Hope they all had a great time up there! Cheers
J M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bailz66 » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 7:08 pm

J M wrote:Okay so a bit of a strange request - my friend is camping up at PV at the moment and dropped her phone at Falls Creek Village. Someone's picked it up and got in contact with me and has apparently dropped it in at lost and found. I was wondering if someone would be able to get in contact with anyone up there at the moment and ask them to pop over to where my friend is staying (probably somewhere near the hut, in a grey tarptent tent)and tell her (Alex) that her phone is at lost property in Falls? They'll be heading home some time tomorrow so no worries if no one can be contacted by then. Thanks guys!

Spoke to your friend. She is Going to go to police station on way out so maybe let them know to send her to lost and found
bailz66
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Cecile » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 11:25 pm

Bailz and his daughter, and sim1oz and her husband were both at PV this weekend. Ted was impressed that Chloe carried her own 25lt pack and skied the whole way out. I rescued Ted from Kalkallo, where he was dropped off, and he's home for a few days.

A few photos from the past two weeks.
Attachments
IMG_9136.JPG
Snow drift under PV hut verandah
IMG_9136.JPG (96.91 KiB) Viewed 31116 times
IMG_9142.JPG
One buried, el-cheapo tent. It survived. Just. All the wands needed to be repaired.
IMG_9142.JPG (121.82 KiB) Viewed 31116 times
IMG_9146.JPG
Digging out. Notice the stove flue is horizontal. Not conducive to a fire, methinks?
IMG_9146.JPG (134.68 KiB) Viewed 31116 times
IMG_9147.JPG
IMG_9147.JPG (110.15 KiB) Viewed 31116 times
IMG_9151.JPG
Ice in the stove. Took an hour with an ice axe to clear it.
IMG_9151.JPG (140.99 KiB) Viewed 31116 times
IMG_9159.JPG
Monty Python eat your heart out.
IMG_9159.JPG (137.34 KiB) Viewed 31116 times
IMG_9167.JPG
Cheap fly over the tent.
IMG_9167.JPG (129.44 KiB) Viewed 31116 times
IMG_9168.JPG
Field repairs.
IMG_9168.JPG (136.24 KiB) Viewed 31116 times
IMG_9170.JPG
PV hut, looks pretty in the snow
IMG_9170.JPG (130.53 KiB) Viewed 31116 times
IMG_9183.JPG
Tipi covers the picnic table!
IMG_9183.JPG (151.15 KiB) Viewed 31116 times
Last edited by Cecile on Sun 07 Aug, 2016 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cecile
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Cecile » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 11:26 pm

And, some visitors!
Attachments
IMG_9199.JPG
Bailz and Chloe
IMG_9199.JPG (121.31 KiB) Viewed 31115 times
Cecile
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby J M » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 11:30 pm

bailz66 wrote:Spoke to your friend. She is Going to go to police station on way out so maybe let them know to send her to lost and found

Ahh lovely, cheers! I'll let them know.
J M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sim1oz » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 11:37 pm

We had a fabulous weekend at PV with MD and other visitors. What wonderful weather! Blue skies, no wind - it's been a while since I have heard such silence at night. Chloe was a real trooper, amazing! Great to meet you both, Bailz. I'll post some photos in the next day or so.

BTW, my old iPhone with Optus had one bar of reception at PV and I managed to get out some photos on whats app, some text messages, and some phone calls.

Glad to hear that the missing phone was found. We had a quick chat with Alex and partner on our way out about their Scarp 2 Tarptent. It was looking really nice set up in the snow next to PV hut.
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Fri 12 Aug, 2016 9:06 pm

Is MD back at PV again Cecile?
We've been staying off mountain, travelling up to ski and noted an interestingly parked blue ute along the way?????
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Cecile » Fri 12 Aug, 2016 10:51 pm

neilmny wrote:Is MD back at PV again Cecile?
We've been staying off mountain, travelling up to ski and noted an interestingly parked blue ute along the way?????

I am cracking up laughing here. And MD is standing behind me, also laughing. Yes, that's his ute. He got a lift home last Sunday with sim1oz and her husband so left the ute behind. He's headed back Monday, by train and bus. We were going to come up today, but there's not a single bed to be had anywhere nearby.

Oh, and he said, "it's not interestingly parked!"

:lol:
Cecile
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Sat 13 Aug, 2016 7:38 am

Cecile wrote:..........Oh, and he said, "it's not interestingly parked!"

:lol:

A matter of perspective perhaps :lol: May I say he has kept it well out of the way of the road :lol:
It's funny what a few pictures of previous trips can do...when we first saw it we thought interesting spot to park......but next
trip my son in law who wasn't with us the first time said "hey that looks like Moondog's ute".
While we were up there I was tempted to accost any poor bugger with a beard with the enquiry äre you by any chance Moondog?"
But fortunately I restrained myself as some not in the know may have been taken aback. :D
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

PreviousNext

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes