Wilson's Prom. N.P. . Sealers' Cove the long way.8-11/10/23

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Wilson's Prom. N.P. . Sealers' Cove the long way.8-11/10/23

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 13 Oct, 2023 3:00 pm

Hi
You can read a trip report about this scenic and enjoyable four day solo hike in the Southern Section of Wilson's Prom. N.P.. by
clicking on the weblink here:
https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/trip- ... st-5484920
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.
Region: Victoria

Re: Wilson's Prom. N.P. . Sealers' Cove the long way.8-11/10

Postby Baeng72 » Sat 14 Oct, 2023 9:20 am

Nice one PCV!
Good photos, a great place to go to.
Just a top place.
I remember one time walking a few kms from Waterloo Bay and a flock of Gang-Gangs flew over us, so cool.
I've been thinking about returning to the prom, but have wait for weather, weekend and all that business.

I've done Oberon bay a couple of times as well as LWB once, the kids wouldn't carry their packs back from Telegraph junction, so the grown ups had to lug 2 packs....
I did a loop with my eldest starting at Telegraph Saddle to LWB, then next day onto Sealers, saw the whales too, then up the now closed track back to Telegraph Saddle in 2019 as a lead up to the Overland, we also did bus up to Telegraph Saddle, day 1 to LWB, day 2 to Oberon, then back to Norman bay along coast. I think the Prom was my go to for overnighters for a while.... :D

It's a bit more civilized than the Northern circuit, more for enjoying than suffering.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 14 Oct, 2023 1:32 pm

The Northern Prom. is hardcore and is reportedly at present quite overgrown . Since CV19 almost nothing has been done to clear the " Route" out there or even mark it with bright pink tape.
The Southern Prom. is scenic and just marvellous and now is the time to visit Sealers' Cove, the Long way
and avoid the crowds that come with the summer.

I suggested to a ski forum member that taking kids to Half Way hut , slogging it down
the Telegraph track for 7kms or so
and setting up a base camp there means children can
experience easy day walks to Oberon Bay , Waterloo Bay and South Point ( the most southerly tip of the Oz Mainland).
Half Way hut is peaceful with good tent sites and is almost never used by hikers and campers.
The Rainwater tank there is quite reliable. The Tank water is infrequently used because few people utilize that camping area.
So what if it does not have a beach view?. The ocean is audible there at night along with morning bird song
and the bush setting is enjoyable.
The track from Tidal River to Oberon bay is now open so a day loop from Tidal River to Oberon Bay and back to Telegraph saddle is possible if you go when the shuttle bus is operating ( Nov. to March on weekends and summer school holidays).
One Planet make great back packs. I am converted to their gear , big time.
When half the weight of the pack unloaded is contained in the comfort of the harness and hip belt then you are on a winner.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Sun 15 Oct, 2023 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 15 Oct, 2023 11:25 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:The Northern Prom. is hardcore and is reportedly at present quite overgrown . Since CV19 almost nothing has been done to clear the " Route" out there or even mark it with bright pink tape.

No kidding, I did it in April. :wink: :D
That was a slog, but much less difficult than the first time. I must be fitter, more mentally prepared.
I have no urge to do that again.

Good to know about the coastal route between Norman Bay and Oberon Bay.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes