Mt. Bogong. Dec. 18th-21st. 2023.

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mt. Bogong. Dec. 18th-21st. 2023.

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 23 Dec, 2023 8:45 pm

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/mt-bo ... 023.94244/
You can read a trip report with photos at the web link provided.
:-)
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.
Region: Victoria

Re: Mt. Bogong. Dec. 18th-21st. 2023.

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 24 Dec, 2023 6:02 am

Nice one PCV!
Walking up the Staircase or Quartz ridge (did I get it right this time?) in the heat will get the sweat flowing.
Nice photos too.
It's a challenge that mountain, just a big effort, standing more or less on its own, not a bump on a ridge, probably why it invites repeat visits.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 24 Dec, 2023 8:39 am

We ascended and descended the Big Fella twice in one bushwalking trip, from both sides of the mountain. It was something Vic. Alps Guide book author Glenn Van Der Thingy would do.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 24 Dec, 2023 2:12 pm

It's impressive. I think after waking up at Camp Creek Hut, I'd be looking for that tramway you mentioned instead of heading back up. :)
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 24 Dec, 2023 7:54 pm

After slogging it up from Cairn Creek hut to the Quartz Ridge track junction, I did propose to alter the route and return
via the fire trails that lead to Moncrief Gap track and on to Mtn. Creek,
if anyone did not feel up to climbing Mt. Bogong twice in two days consecutively.
That was not necessary and we plodded onwards and upwards.
It is true that the least taxing route to reach Cairn Creek Hut would be Bogong Creek Tramway starting from Clover Arboretum and hiking up to Bogong Creek saddle to camp
there on day one. After that the route
across and down to Cairn Creek hut would take 3-4 hours so you could chilax, read a book or catch a fish in the creek
after setting up camp at Cairn Creek Hut.
Cairn Creek hut only really can accommodate 3 tents and the camping site is not 100 % flat . So you'd be a bit stuck for a plan B if some other
hikers had already claimed that spot for tents.
Thankfully while Cleve Cole hut camping area can become PACKED in peak periods I doubt Cairn Creek hut would ever have the same foot traffic.
The foot route there was a jungle gym no go zone for years until BTAC and PV cleared the track recently in October 2023.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Baeng72 » Sun 24 Dec, 2023 9:45 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Cairn Creek hut only really can accommodate 3 tents and the camping site is not 100 % flat . So you'd be a bit stuck for a plan B if some other
Thankfully while Cleve Cole hut camping area can become PACKED in peak periods I doubt Cairn Creek hut would ever have the same foot traffic.
The foot route there was a jungle gym no go zone for years until BTAC and PV cleared the track recently in October 2023.

That's what worries me about small campsites. If you rock up midday and are all alone, there's no guarantee that you won't have others turning up later.
I'd rather keep walking or walk back to car, then spend half a day at a campsite, then just before sundown, someone turns up and starts setting up.
I'm a bit antisocial like that. It's not that anybody is doing the wrong thing, just not what I want when I go bush.
I think I managed the best I could at Cleve Cole on my little circuit. Setting up after dark, then leaving a bit after dawn. Didn't speak to anybody. Serenity.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Mon 25 Dec, 2023 6:55 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:After slogging it up from Cairn Creek hut to the Quartz Ridge track junction, I did propose to alter the route and return
via the fire trails that lead to Moncrief Gap track and on to Mtn. Creek,
if anyone did not feel up to climbing Mt. Bogong twice in two days consecutively.
That was not necessary and we plodded onwards and upwards.
It is true that the least taxing route to reach Cairn Creek Hut would be Bogong Creek Tramway starting from Clover Arboretum and hiking up to Bogong Creek saddle to camp
there on day one. After that the route across and down to Cairn Creek hut would take 3-4 hours
so you could chilax, read a book or catch a fish in the creek
after setting up camp at Cairn Creek Hut.
Cairn Creek hut only really can accommodate 3 tents and the camping site is not 100 % flat . So you'd be a bit stuck for a plan B if some other

Just a bit confused. Are you suggesting it takes 3 to 4 hours from Bogong Creek Saddle to Cairn Creek Hut? The hut is actually on Big River not the creek and some nice fishing around there in the river I am told.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 25 Dec, 2023 8:01 am

The walk down the steep foot track from the Quartz Ridge track junction to Cairn Creek Hut was S L O W going despite the the track being recently cleared.
The River crossing was easy but there was the matter of taking boots and gaiters off to ford the stream.
It is bleeding steep. The return walk climbs 300 M. vertical out of the Big River Valley to regain the ridge . It is not 2 kms as the SV maps says it is. It is closer to
three kms one way. The distance from Bogong Creek Saddke to the Quartz Ridge/ Cairn Creek Hut track junction is about 2 kms. So I am estimating
that the Old Helipad to Cairn Creek Hut would be about 3 hours walking time, going at an easy pace.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Camminata » Mon 25 Dec, 2023 9:47 am

I once rode my mountain bike from Timms spur following the Big river firetrail to Clover Dam , I would still rather slog it up from mountain creek down to Bogong creek saddle, I reckon the walk would be tedious from Clover IMO

And happy birthday Jesus or happy revenue raising ill be lining up for hot cross buns in the morning..

there on day one.
The Inbetween Is Mine
Camminata
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://hikingtales55.blogspot.com

Postby Xplora » Mon 25 Dec, 2023 10:44 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:The walk down the steep foot track from the Quartz Ridge track junction to Cairn Creek Hut was S L O W going despite the the track being recently cleared.
The River crossing was easy but there was the matter of taking boots and gaiters off to ford the stream.
It is bleeding steep. The return walk climbs 300 M. vertical out of the Big River Valley to regain the ridge . It is not 2 kms as the SV maps says it is. It is closer to
three kms one way. The distance from Bogong Creek Saddke to the Quartz Ridge/ Cairn Creek Hut track junction is about 2 kms. So I am estimating
that the Old Helipad to Cairn Creek Hut would be about 3 hours walking time, going at an easy pace.

I know you have just done this but from my recollection it is about 500m from Bogong Creek Saddle to Quartz Ridge junction and about 2.5km from there to Cairn Creek Hut (maps concur). It is also only 200 metre drop according to my information. 1km/hour is a pretty easy pace even for that country but I would suggest it is not the norm. It is your experience though so how can I argue. Personally I would be looking at a 3 hour return trip without exhausting yourself. That would be from my experience.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Baeng72 » Mon 25 Dec, 2023 11:20 am

Camminata wrote:I once rode my mountain bike from Timms spur following the Big river firetrail to Clover Dam , I would still rather slog it up from mountain creek down to Bogong creek saddle, I reckon the walk would be tedious from Clover IMO

And happy birthday Jesus or happy revenue raising ill be lining up for hot cross buns in the morning..

there on day one.

Did you start at Watchbed creek?
Happy Festivus for those that celebrate.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Camminata » Mon 25 Dec, 2023 9:54 pm

Baeng72 wrote:
Camminata wrote:I once rode my mountain bike from Timms spur following the Big river firetrail to Clover Dam , I would still rather slog it up from mountain creek down to Bogong creek saddle, I reckon the walk would be tedious from Clover IMO

there on day one.

Did you start at Watchbed creek?
Happy Festivus for those that celebrate.

I did pass thru Watchbedcreek , started at Bogong Village & went uo the fainters on a 3 day bike pack trip
The Inbetween Is Mine
Camminata
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Baeng72 » Tue 26 Dec, 2023 7:20 am

Camminata wrote:
I did pass thru Watchbedcreek , started at Bogong Village & went uo the fainters on a 3 day bike pack trip

That's an interesting way to do that loop.
Low gear up Spring Saddle and Fainters Firetrails I imagine.
Baeng72
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Camminata » Tue 26 Dec, 2023 8:56 am

Baeng72 wrote:
Camminata wrote:

That's an interesting way to do that loop.
Low gear up Spring Saddle and Fainters Firetrails I imagine.

A bit of hike n bike huffing and puffing , I actually started down lower on BHP and went up Ropers track which was *&%$#! steep. I have some pics posted in Gallery "Vic Highplains"
The Inbetween Is Mine
Camminata
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes