Mt. Clear Traverse, Alpine National Park (PHOTOS)

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mt. Clear Traverse, Alpine National Park (PHOTOS)

Postby HitchHiking » Tue 21 Jun, 2011 9:00 pm

First a summary on the weather for this trip:
Wet
Day 1

My walking partner and I were excited about this walk and for good reason, snow was in the forecast!
An early start out of Melbourne saw us parking the car in the Alpine National Park and waking by 12 noon in the rain and constant drizzle.

We followed the Nobs 4wd track which ascended very quickly up towards the marked junction with the Australian Alps walking track.

Then at about 1200ish meters the rain turned magically to snow! This was a personal highlight for me as it marks the first time I have seen snow falling on mainland Australia.
There was no clear junction for the AAWT so where it seemed like a good place we turned off the track for a walk in the fresh snow towards The Nobs. The weather was really moving in quickly and the ceiling of clouds seems to descend in minutes to limit visibility drastically. We descended from The Nobs and found a beautiful camp site in the saddle between The Nobs and High Cone.
As night began to fall Hughie decided to let loose and give us a great snow show. Somewhere in the excitement of it all I left my over pants where I had removed them. A quick jaunt found them almost as I left them.

Day 2
We awoke to most of the snow already melted as our camp was at 1300 meters. We were looking forward to seeing how much had stuck in the higher country.
We followed the AAWT that appeared and disappeared in various parts. It passed through some great saddles and gaps and before ascending to the next height.
With the temp hovering around 2*C it was wet and chilly to say the least and the wind was gusting upwards of 45kmph.
We passed up and over Square Top and then up to Mt Clear.
Unfortunately it didn’t live up to its name. But the snow was awesome! I didn’t think I would ever have to kick step here. I’m very pleased to say that I was incorrect.

We crossed Mt Clear in the gusty wind and sleet. We descended quickly to get out of the wind but the rain continued.
Meeting up with an old 4wd track we turned back on our direction to start the loop. After a little ways of walking we came onto another stunning campsite where we called it a day and hunkered down to a warm soup.

Day 3
It was a pretty easy day with the only distance on the 4wd track and Hughie as our obstacles. The snowy ascents and slippery descents were done. Image
The low ceiling of cloud provided some eerie walking through the remanets of the bushfires.
The overgrown track made sure to re-soak us with all the moisture caught on the leaves.

After a final creek crossing we met back with The Nobs Track and an easy jaunt back to the car.

It was great to see such another beautiful area of Australia and I look forward to getting back to the same area again in the future!
Evan- Terra Rosa Gear, Handcrafted adventure equipment from Melbourne.
HitchHiking
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.TerraRosaGear.com
Region: Victoria

Re: Mt. Clear Traverse, Alpine National Park (PHOTOS)

Postby north-north-west » Tue 21 Jun, 2011 9:05 pm

I'm surprised you had trouble picking up the AAWT turnoff from the Nobs track. It's just a foot pad, but clearly marked - although I suppose the marker could have been snow covered.
But the route just climbs virtually straight up to the high point of the North Nob from the flat. South Nob is higher, but a fair bit of a side trip and not one I'd be too keen on doing in those conditions. It's a lovely area, though.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby andrewbish » Wed 22 Jun, 2011 1:30 pm

Great pics, Evan. I was up there in April to do the same circuit. Interesting to see it with snow. I had the same visibility on Mt Clear - perhaps the name is ironic.
Twitter: @andrewbishxplor Blog: Trails & tracks
andrewbish
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby HitchHiking » Wed 22 Jun, 2011 2:25 pm

andrewbish wrote:Great pics, Evan. I was up there in April to do the same circuit. Interesting to see it with snow. I had the same visibility on Mt Clear - perhaps the name is ironic.

Yeah very irionic eh! :lol: Would love to see the comparison pics from your trip Andrew!

north-north-west wrote:I'm surprised you had trouble picking up the AAWT turnoff from the Nobs track. It's just a foot pad, but clearly marked - although I suppose the marker could have been snow covered.
But the route just climbs virtually straight up to the high point of the North Nob from the flat. South Nob is higher, but a fair bit of a side trip and not one I'd be too keen on doing in those conditions. It's a lovely area, though.

Yeah the first marker we spotted for the AAWT was 3/4 of the way up mt Clear! That said the Nav wasnt difficult :). Around High Cone I had a the compass out a few times as 50meter vis had me checking my dead reckoning. 8)
HitchHiking
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 23 Jun, 2011 6:20 pm

andrewbish wrote:I had the same visibility on Mt Clear - perhaps the name is ironic.

Ditto with my first two visits. :roll:
I have since seen it three times in good weather and it has some very pleasant views.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nelse » Thu 23 Jun, 2011 8:41 pm

That takes me back .... to the 70s .. great TR love to get back out there
HC SVNT DRACONES
Nelse
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Australian Walking Tours

Postby north-north-west » Thu 23 Jun, 2011 8:47 pm

HitchHiking wrote:Yeah the first marker we spotted for the AAWT was 3/4 of the way up mt Clear! That said the Nav wasnt difficult :). Around High Cone I had a the compass out a few times as 50meter vis had me checking my dead reckoning. 8)

Technically, from the Nobs 4WD track to Clear Creek headwaters is cross country, although it's been walked enough to have a fairly clear footpad most of the way. There are markers fairly regularly along the route but, as there are so many braided pads over/around High Cone and Square Top, it's easy to not see them. I didn't see any of those between the Nobs and the Mt Clear saddle my first time through.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewbish » Fri 24 Jun, 2011 12:27 am

HitchHiking wrote: Would love to see the comparison pics from your trip Andrew!

Hi Evan - Here is my blog entry on the trip I did in April.

Andrew
Twitter: @andrewbishxplor Blog: Trails & tracks
andrewbish

Postby HitchHiking » Fri 24 Jun, 2011 8:24 am

Thanks Andrew! Looked awesome! Ill keep your blog on my fav from now on as well.
HitchHiking
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildlight » Sun 22 Jan, 2012 1:10 pm

Nelse wrote:That takes me back .... to the 70s .. great TR love to get back out there

Yeah, I second that.

Thanks immensely for the pix n post.

Wildlight
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bernieq » Mon 13 Feb, 2012 7:49 pm

I thought a photo of a clear Mt Clear should be inserted into this thread – to prove it can live up to it’s name – this photo taken from the knoll between Square Top and Mt Clear in November 2011.
Mt Clear.JPG
Mt Clear from the AAWT

A more interesting (imo) but longer tramp is to start at Jamieson Hut and climb to Mt McDonald, then follow the AAWT to the Knobs Tk and meet up with your walk. The 4WD walk-out on the last day is made less tedious with a short car shuffle between Jamison Hut and Brocks Rd/4WD track.
bernieq

Postby HitchHiking » Sat 18 Feb, 2012 4:02 pm

Great photo bernieq! Thanks for that. I would loved to have seen it like that but the fog rain and snow had its charms :D
HitchHiking
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tcatchy » Tue 12 Jun, 2012 2:11 am

I just saw a hammock in one of the photos and was wondering if you could enlighten me on a few things:

- Is it warm in the hammock by itself, or do you put a sleeping mat/ quilt underneath yourself? (Could you also elaborate on the hammock and set-up)
- I'm not sure if you would be able to answer this, but how practical is it to take a hammock on the whole AAWT (I have seen some areas that look pretty bare of any suitable trees)?

Great photos and sounds like a fun trip.

Thanks in advance :)
tcatchy
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Kinsayder » Fri 15 Jun, 2012 11:12 am

I've often wondered about the notion of hammocks in alpine conditions too. I don't think my back would appreciate it though, all curled up for a night.

Oh, and great pictures and report too!
Kinsayder
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby HitchHiking » Mon 16 Jul, 2012 12:35 pm

tcatchy wrote:I just saw a hammock in one of the photos and was wondering if you could enlighten me on a few things:

- Is it warm in the hammock by itself, or do you put a sleeping mat/ quilt underneath yourself? (Could you also elaborate on the hammock and set-up)
- I'm not sure if you would be able to answer this, but how practical is it to take a hammock on the whole AAWT (I have seen some areas that look pretty bare of any suitable trees)?

Great photos and sounds like a fun trip.

Thanks in advance :)

Sorry for the late response guys but to answer your questions:
The hammock is horribly cold by itself. I use a 3/4 lenght underquilt and a pad at my feet where the quilt doesnt reach.

This is my hammock set up in a nutshell.

I have only walked parts of the AAWT and been fine with the hammock but there have been ample trees. Other with more experince on the AAWT could help a bit more im sure.

Hope that helps.
HitchHiking
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Fri 20 Jul, 2012 7:01 pm

There are sections of the AAWT that aren't really suitable for hammocks, but few (if any) are so widespread that you wouldn't be able to find a campsite. It's just a matter of planning your sections and camps properly. Dead Horse Gap to wherever you get at the end of that day would be the hardest, and if the weather went off on that stretch you'd be stuffed.
But camping in amongst the trees every night would detract from the experience, in my opinion. All those wonderful views and no clear sunrises/sunsets . . . :?
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Maxp20 » Sun 02 Oct, 2016 3:50 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any updates on the conditions in this area? Is it overgrown? Are the walking tracks hard to find? Is there snow around still? I'm thinking of heading this way on the weekend and would appreciate any updates.

Thanks
Maxp20
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Hillwalk » Wed 16 Nov, 2016 7:25 pm

Thinking of trying the climb to Mt Clear or High Cone via nobs as a return day walk next week and wondering the same - any info about state of the tracks would be much appreciated. Also the access roads from Mansfield.
Hillwalk
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby damoprz » Wed 16 Nov, 2016 8:09 pm

I don't know how the road is after winter this year. The AAWT from Nobs track to the Mt Clear track is pretty easy to follow.
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Hillwalk » Thu 17 Nov, 2016 8:57 am

Thanks!
Hillwalk
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Hillwalk » Sun 20 Nov, 2016 9:05 pm

For anyone heading up this way here is some up to date info from the ranger at Parks Vic:

State of roads:

Bluff link to Refridgerator Gap has a large boggy section that needs repair, advised that it would not be passable in a Subaru Outback. This means no access to The Bluff carpark.

Walking tracks: - Mt Clear/Nobs/High Cone. ('Mt Clear Traverse' from GVDK book)

There are some overgrown tracks on this walk that have been reported and they hope to clear them mid December.
Hillwalk
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to VIC Trip Reports & Track Notes