Empire Pass and some North Lawson Waterfalls

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Empire Pass and some North Lawson Waterfalls

Postby FatCanyoner » Tue 31 Jul, 2012 10:45 pm

G'day folks,

I actually did this trip in late April, but only just got around to writing it up. I'm trying to do a few more kid-friendly walks with my three boys (a couple weeks back I took them abseiling, which made the 3-yr-old particularly proud of himself!). This was part of that push, with an easy 8km loop walk on a weekday before work (I don't start until 5pm in the city).

We visited four waterfalls, which were flowing really well due to the recent rains, as well as exploring the interesting mix of valleys, rocky lookouts, and fern-filled gullys.

I've traditionally shied away from the 'tourist tracks', but I'm thinking I need to do more of these classic walks from the early days of Aussie bushwalking. Not only did I find it really enjoyable, but it was the perfect length and difficulty for the kids, and really got them excited about getting out into the bush more.

If you're interested, my full trip report, with photos, is here: http://fatcanyoners.org/2012/04/23/empire-pass-north-lawson-waterfalls/

Tim
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au
Region: New South Wales

Re: Empire Pass and some North Lawson Waterfalls

Postby climberman » Wed 01 Aug, 2012 9:08 am

Tim, there are some great local walks in the mid mountains - look at Hazo as well, both north and south sides.
climberman
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby FatCanyoner » Wed 01 Aug, 2012 2:26 pm

Yep, I'm pulling together a mental list. There is some great stuff in the mid mountains. Also some interesting easy off-track walking in places like Bullaburra as they get a little older. I keep talking about moving to the mid mountains. We'll have to make it happen one of these days!
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby michael_p » Wed 01 Aug, 2012 5:13 pm

climberman wrote:look at Hazo as well, both north and south sides.

FatCanyoner,

As always a great write up.

On Monday a friend and I did the Adelina Falls to Bedford Pool walk. So many stunning waterfalls. This walk would probably be a bit far for the kids to do in one hit but you could make a couple of good day walks. The section to Bedford Pool has some slippery creek crossings but other that that the walks are pretty straightforward.

Cheers,
Michael.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby FatCanyoner » Thu 02 Aug, 2012 1:56 am

Thanks for that Michael. Great idea. I've taken the kids to Cataract and Federal Falls near there, but that is it.
I've been thinking the loop around Terrace Falls would be a good one in warmer weather. Is Bedford Pool a good swimming hole? The older two love being able to have a jump in and a swim.
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby michael_p » Thu 02 Aug, 2012 10:15 am

FatCanyoner wrote:Is Bedford Pool a good swimming hole? The older two love being able to have a jump in and a swim.

Definitely a spot you could have a swim in. Not the best photo as the rocks I was standing on moved just as I was taking the shot.
DSC07210.JPG
Bedford Pool
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes