Blue Gum Ck. Little River.

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Blue Gum Ck. Little River.

Postby kanangra » Sun 26 Aug, 2012 4:47 pm

I managed to get out for the day yesterday and drove down to Thirlmere Lakes. I left the car at the picnic area just past the old pump house and walked down by the lakes to the gate near the boundary with Nattai NP. From here it was a delightful walk down the valley surrounded by magestic blue gums. The most extensive stand I have seen. After passing through another gate I rounded a corner and crossed the Little River. There was a large pool behind the causeway. Continuing on there was water in Calga Ck and GM Ck. I crossed the NR at the causeway and picked up the old mine acess road. Strange to find a sealed road right out here. Now abandoned. Followed this back and crossed the river again before heading up the hill. Not long after the road crossed SCk I picked up the side track which I followed around to the LR. Unfort the track disappeared underwater so I had to head upstream passed some old cleared country. At length I figured it was safe to attempt a crossing and so headed back down to the river. Once across cliffs barred the way so I continued upstream in search of a break. At length the way cleared and i made my way back up to the road which I followed back to the ford at the Little River. I then walked back up the trail and at a point opposite where the Couridjah Ck came in I struck off steeply up the hill. At last I burst out onto the fire road on top of Buxton Plateau. This I followed to the gate near the electricity pylon stopping only to admire the view down into the Little River Gorge from the narrow bit. From here I walked the streets of Buxton to the highway which i then followed back to the national park and the car. A solid but enjoyable day.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Blue Gum Ck. Little River.

Postby Chief » Mon 27 Aug, 2012 5:21 pm

That sure is a solid days walking, especially returning via Buxton back to Thirlmere lakes.
I'd like to do more exploring down in that part of the Nattai but it is in the schedule 1 area once you cross over Little river..
It's just around the corner..
Chief
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby Onestepmore » Mon 27 Aug, 2012 11:23 pm

I have to agree that the Blue Gum/Little River track is delightful. The water is so clear! Literally only 15 minutes down the road from us :)
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby kanangra » Tue 28 Aug, 2012 8:24 am

Yes I envy you. I thought how lovely that whole area is from Thirlmere to Buxton to Hilltop. Both sides of the line are very pretty. You are lucky to live down that way.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes