Linden Ck - old sawmill / funicular railway

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Linden Ck - old sawmill / funicular railway

Postby FatCanyoner » Fri 31 Aug, 2012 11:37 am

G'day folks,

I did a very easy half-day walk a couple weeks back that was really enjoyable, not only for the natural beauty, but for the interesting history of the area.

We followed the route of the century-old funicular (incline) railway down into Linden Creek, checked out the stationary steam engine that powered it and the old saw mill, and explored a very attractive tributary.

If people are looking for a relatively easy, but incredibly interesting walk for kids, I'd definitely recommend this one. I could feel my inner child trying to escape as we clambered up onto the steam engine!

We also explored up the smaller creek, and along one of the ridges, which was all lovely walking. Less scrubby than a lot of the mountains after that last couple wet summers. Plenty of flowers. An incredibly diverse mix of ecological communities.

My full trip report and photos are here: http://fatcanyoners.org/2012/08/15/faulconbridge-railway/
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au
Region: New South Wales

Re: Linden Ck - old sawmill / funicular railway

Postby kanangra » Fri 31 Aug, 2012 1:16 pm

Fascinating stuff. I will have to check that out.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Linden Ck - old sawmill / funicular railway

Postby Lindsay » Fri 31 Aug, 2012 4:29 pm

I did this walk with the Cubs back in the late 60s and have not been back since. I have a vivid memory of balancing on top of the steam engine playing king of the castle. :D Great photos FC.
Lindsay
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes