Donna Ridge, Grose River, Browns Ridge.

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Donna Ridge, Grose River, Browns Ridge.

Postby kanangra » Tue 04 Sep, 2012 8:20 am

A discussion on another post suggested this trip idea to me. I parked at the first gate which was locked and walked out to the Donna Track which I followed to its end. The country was blackened from the back burn carried out the week before. At least this cleared the scrub as I descended steeply down the point. Near the bottom I dropped into a creek on my right which soon joined with another at a waterfall and from there it was but a short distance to the river. I arrived at 9:30 just over 2 hours after setting out. The water in the river looked as clean and clear as I have seen it. I crossed without much difficulty and picked up the Engineers Track. In parts it is surprisingly clear to follow but then it is easy to lose as it disappears in regrowth and under landslides. It is staggering to think that they ever seriously thought they would be able to build a rail line up this valley. Even with the track the going was somewhat difficult and slow through the scrub which was sometimes quite thick. I would allow only about 1 km. an hour for most parts of the Grose below Blue Gum Forest.

I noticed a good camp cave opposite Browns Ck. It contained some candles and a few odds and ends including the front page of the Australian from Oct 2010. After following a good stretch of track I decided to head down to the river for lunch. My GPS has not been locating satelites and so I couldn't be sure of my position. So after lunch I headed up to the next corner from where I could see Dark Valey coming in on the next bend so I knew I had come too far. So I retraced my steps and crossed over to the nothern bank which I followed down looking for the Bass Fishermans camp. I didn't find it and so decided just to head straight up the hill. The going was steep with a couple of minor cliff lines that were easily rounded. I came out on the western side of the small gully at the end of Browns Ridge. This I crossed to pick up the fire trail which I followed out to the car. On the way I passed the Gellies Hand tool line which had been remarked no doubt in connection with the back burn.

Quite a pleasant day trip. In retropsect I continued on the Engineers Track too long. I did notice a small cairn and wondered if this was indicating the departure point for the fishermans camp and it would seem that it was.

K
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Donna Ridge, Grose River, Browns Ridge.

Postby jonnosan » Wed 05 Sep, 2012 7:32 am

Thanks for the write up. I am keen to get out and explore this area myself in the next few weeks.
jonnosan
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Grabeach » Thu 06 Sep, 2012 3:51 pm

The cave opposite Browns Ck had a sand floor back in the early 90s. Is this still the case? I guess this means the river floods this high occasionally. There was also bedding there for a while. Someone was keen enough to carry it in, but not to carry it out. I’ve been up Browns Ck about 1 ½ km - nothing to recommend here. The first km or so of Dark Ck is far better and worth doing. There is a waterfall that needs to be passed.

Can’t remember if there was a cairn, but there was a distinctive rock about a metre high on the outside edge of the track where you crossed to go up the Fishos Track. This was at the river bend to the east of Quodling Hill. The middle section of the track itself was mangled in the mid to late 90s when a huge gum came down on it. Also of note, the 2nd Ed topo missed the last 300m of the fire trail, which caused some to try the wrong gully. I don’t know whether it was fixed up for the 3rd Ed.
Grabeach
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby kanangra » Fri 07 Sep, 2012 11:55 am

Very interesting. Yes the sand floor is still there. And was quite undisturbed so no recent habitation. The bedding is gone. But there is still some fish netting on poles? And a few odds and ends including some honey. Interested to hear about Dark Valley I've never been up there. Very historic location of course as it was the place where Caley hit the Grose on his journey to Mt Banks.

I didn't realise the Fishos track was back that far on the bend. As you say the track on Browns Ridge goes right out to the end. Although it is not much more than a walking track after it branches off from the main track.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes