Blue Breaks: Lacys, Bimlow and Tonalli Tablelands

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Blue Breaks: Lacys, Bimlow and Tonalli Tablelands

Postby FatCanyoner » Fri 28 Sep, 2012 1:03 am

G'day folks,

I've just written up an extensive trip report on my recent seven-day walk in the Blue Breaks (I actually offered this one to fellow bushwalk.com members, but unfortunately didn't get any takers -- http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10641)

This is my third long trip in the area in about 15 months. I totally fell in love after my first visit, and went back a couple months later. On those previous trips I'd traversed the Axehead and Broken Rock Ranges, and got up onto Lacys Tableland, but had missed out on some of the more easterly stuff. The plan for this trip was to try and fill in a few more of those blanks. That goal was partly acheived, but like most trip it left me with more places I want to return to, rather than a shorter list that had things crossed off!

For those who don't know the region, the Blue Breaks are an amazing area of the southern Blue Mountains. They are basically the remote mountain ranges to the south-west of Lake Burragorang. While you can spot Sydney from some of the high points, access is difficult, and requires a 4 hour drive via Oberon to Yerranderie (or you can spend a day walking in from Katoomba or Kanangra). The Blue Breaks themselves are spectacular: rugged sandstone plateaus, intersected by deep, plunging gorges. Best of all, the whole area is almost completely untouched by modern man, with no tracks through most of it. We literally went six days without so much as a foot pad!

Anyway, if it sounds interesting you can check out my full trip report and photos here: http://fatcanyoners.org/2012/09/02/blue-breaks-2012/

(Near the top of the blog post are links to my trip report from my first trip to the area in June last year, as well as my second trip with Dave Noble in September.)

I'm already thinking about doing another trip out here -- probably a little faster and harder than this relaxed trip -- next September. If you're interested, get in touch.
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.FatCanyoners.org www.CanyonGear.com.au
Region: New South Wales

Re: Blue Breaks: Lacys, Bimlow and Tonalli Tablelands

Postby Vern » Fri 28 Sep, 2012 9:16 am

Looks like a great trip. Some great photo's as well. Actually I noticed one of those pics looks like the little sister of hanging rock in the blue mountains. Looks like fun mate. Well done.
Vern
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby puredingo » Fri 28 Sep, 2012 12:35 pm

Unreal report mate, looks like great country to explore. I was actually considering joining you on this trip but had a surf comp the same weekend which was called off due to no surf!!!! Typical.
Anyway, mabey next time?
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kanangra » Fri 28 Sep, 2012 4:43 pm

Great report. You did well persuading two young novices to follow you out to some of the most inaccessible and wild country left in the State. I know the road you took. I've been down that way myself a couple of times. It certainly drops quite steeply. And there are a couple of those big white Waterboard gates as I recall. Last time I was down there the Tonalli was completely dry at the bottom. Great to see it has some water in it again. I've never been up the other side though. Will have to put that right. I'm not sure if you noticed it but there is a nice flat grassy area just off to the right of the road before it really starts to drop off steeply.

Keep up the good work.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby clarence » Sat 29 Sep, 2012 3:04 am

Hey Tim
Great photos.
I have done a few trips up there and have very fond memories. I would love to find the pass up Catt Head.
With a little more notice next time I'd be up there to join you.
In the past we'd join in up from the Nattai and head over the Blue Breaks up to Katoomba.
Magic country.
Your photos really capture the essence of the place and tell a great story about the landscape.
Clarence
clarence
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby michael_p » Sat 29 Sep, 2012 9:28 am

As I said in the other thread - excellent report.

If you are interested in finding out more about the history of this area the best book I have found so far is this one: Life in the Burragorang by Jim Barrett. Well worth the read.

EDIT: Nearly forgot this one by Jim Barrett as well: SHACK COUNTRY & THE OLD BURRAGORANG.
One foot in front of the other.
michael_p
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby FatCanyoner » Sun 30 Sep, 2012 12:30 pm

puredingo wrote:I was actually considering joining you on this trip but had a surf comp the same weekend which was called off due to no surf!!!! Typical.

Bushwalking always come first. I hope you learnt your lesson!

kanangra wrote:You did well persuading two young novices to follow you out to some of the most inaccessible and wild country left in the State.

They didn't quite know what they were getting themselves in for, but they both enjoyed it and did a *&%$#! good job of dealing with the challenges!

kanangra wrote:Last time I was down there the Tonalli was completely dry at the bottom. Great to see it has some water in it again. I've never been up the other side though. Will have to put that right.

Both times I've crossed the Tonalli it has been flowing nicely. I'm sure it'll be dry again in a few years. In the interim it would probably make for some nice walking just to follow it some time! And yes, you definitely need to get up the other side some time.

clarence wrote:I would love to find the pass up Catt Head. With a little more notice next time I'd be up there to join you.

Totally agree mate. Both Catt Head and Shoobridge Head look amazing. Finding passes through obvious breaks in the cliff is one thing, but those impressive points are another thing all together. I'm also keen to do a full traverse of Bimlow Walls some time. I'll let you know when I'm next looking at walking out there.

michael_p wrote:If you are interested in finding out more about the history of this area the best book I have found so far is this one: Life in the Burragorang by Jim Barrett. Well worth the read.

Couldn't agree more. I've read a few of Jim Barrett's book. They all give an amazing insight into the Blue Mountains, and are essential reading for anyone who loves walking in the area.
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bumblefoot » Tue 02 Oct, 2012 2:30 pm

Hi Fat Canyoner, yes it's an amazing area, I've been there 3 times in as many years, on the last trip we traversed Bimlow Tablelands as far as Higgins Pass and after a brief stint in Green Wattle Ck went up Shoebridge Pass. The Broken Rock Range is interesting but can be quite scrubby. Would be keen to go again next year if you're planning another trip - perhaps send me a PM and I can give you more details of where I've been and pics if you're interested. Cheers.
bumblefoot
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby FatCanyoner » Wed 03 Oct, 2012 12:15 am

bumblefoot, that sounds like a great trip. I've done the Brokenrock Range north-south, and yes, it was scrubby in places, but I have to say Catt Head and Shoobridge Head look like two of the most impressive passes in the entire Blue Mountains, so I'll definitely be going back to explore them both.
I'll flick you a message next year when I'm in the early planning phases of the next trip.
FatCanyoner
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bumblefoot » Mon 08 Oct, 2012 1:13 pm

Thanks FC.
bumblefoot
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland