wee jasper to thomas boyd trackhead

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

wee jasper to thomas boyd trackhead

Postby charlie59 » Sun 14 Oct, 2012 10:20 am

Would like to hear from anyone who has done Wee Jasper to Thomas Boyd trackhead section of the Hume and Hovell walk, in particular campsites on the track, recent track conditions, how "busy" is this section, and getting to Tumut from Thomas Boyd. I have been told Tumut Taxi's will pick up from Thomas Boyd for about $60. Has anyone left a car at Thomas Boyd for the two to three days without problems?
charlie59
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: wee jasper to thomas boyd trackhead

Postby CoolBreeze » Sat 27 Oct, 2012 7:51 am

You've selected a great section of the track. I walked Wee Jasper – Henry Angel Trackhead in Oct ’11 and Bowassa – Lankeys Creek in Jan ’12.

As for busy – I only met one other ‘track walker’ in the 2 weeks I've spent walking it.

Through this section your choices of campsites are:
Log Bridge – a pleasant spot with covered table, water and fire place
Micalong Creek – while next to a reliable river, IMHO not so pleasant due to vandalism
Bossawa – a great spot next to a reliable creek with covered table and fireplace

Some general info of the track:
You’ll likely find some trees down over the tack
From Mt Nimbo to The Hole 2 km sign (~ 5 km) there are indistinct sections of the track (look for the flagging tape) and some blackberry to contend with

Thomas Boyd Trackhead:
A good campsite and facilities, there’s a local ranger that comes around each day to collect camp fees. While I didn't, I would consider leaving a vehicle. On weekends folks from Tumut often camp out there – you might even be lucky to find lift into town...

I’d recommend, if you've not already:
Contacting the track manager Warwick.Hull [at] lands.nsw.gov.au / 0427 206 366
He’s very helpful and can provide the latest track conditions, particularly with regard to track clearing/closure. He has a map set for the whole track, good for planning, but I’d suggest checking the library for The Hume & Hovell Walking Track Guidebook by Harry Hill, ISBN 9781863330664, it has much greater detailed maps and a historical account of the H&H journey.

Best of luck, much to be enjoyed!

Edit by moderator, changed email address so it is not linked directly (Rule 7)
CoolBreeze
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: wee jasper to thomas boyd trackhead

Postby charlie59 » Mon 03 Dec, 2012 7:14 pm

Thanks Coolbreeze, I was saddened to hear about Micalong, my father would take us there when we were children (when the H&H track did not exist). I seem to recall something about it being a rare example of an alpine wetland with bird species specific to the area. And my first experience with a red belly. What drives some people to trash their treasures is beyond me. Still, I'm looking forward to it and showing it to my son. In the meantime I'm off to do the Overland Track.
charlie59
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes