A night in the elements OR a trip that never was

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

A night in the elements OR a trip that never was

Postby puredingo » Sun 02 Dec, 2012 9:22 pm

My original plan was to leave the wattle ridge car park, walk down the Nattia Rd, cross over beloon pass and basically loop around yerranderie to the millnigan access trail, crossing the Wollondilly and end up on the Wombeyan caves rd. But as the weather reports started to arrive with warnings of 40 degree days I decided to shorten the trip to not crossing the wollondilly and instead head up a fire trail under the Wanganderry walls where i would exit through the burnt creek trail up onto high range. As it turns out I neednt of bothered shortening anything as i didn't accomplish either trip and here's why.

Heading off by 6.45 in the comfortable morning cool i made good time down into the Nattai valley, after the first crossing which was easy enough as the river was moving quiet placidly i arrived at the second, confusingly the topo map tells you to cross here and follow a direct route through this flat but on advice from a forum member i knew to stay on the true left of the bank Which I did and before long I was on Vinyard flat and making my way over to the base of beloon pass.

After a rather decent break at the bottom of the pass i decided to head to the top, I'd take my time and have a dry camp which would give me ample time to make it to burnt flat creek by tomorrow arvo..what's that saying about best layed plans?. The sun was well and truely out by now as the clock hit 11.00 at the start of the climb and things were begining to heat up, i was still moving at a feasible rate until (I think) about halfway, where the track siddles the gully, It was about here i really started to knock up and feel the effects so I reasoned a spell was in order. Laying flat out looking skywards a big black cloud drifted over me, nice i thought, a bit of rain to cool things down...It rained for about 5 minutes and although it was a welcome relief to the heat the price i would pay in humidity would severly outweight the offering of momentary precipitation. By this time i had made it to the junction of the creeks where you stick to the left, but i had a decision to make, the air was as thick and sultry as I've ever felt, I had half a liter of water until morning and there was some serious storm matter brewing all around me.
Disappiontingly i headed back down the pass and by the time i hit the bottom i was COOKING! I forged quickly down the fire trail, stripped off and plunged into the relieving yet stinky saviour that is the Nattai river.

After a stint of nakedness that fat canyoner would be proud of i got out and set up camp on vinyard Flat at an already established site. It got hotter. By 5.00pm the heat in the valley was unbelievable and without a breath of wind there was no relief to be had so off to the river again. At 6.30pm i decided i better finally get out before yabbie feeding time and make my way back to camp..accompanied by about 40 billion flies which i assume were as thirsty as me and i looked like a walking icepole. Too hot to lay in the tent (even sans fly) I layed out on the ground and hung my cloths in various trees to dry...Then came the rain. In a instant a deafening clap of thunder echoed through the valley and heavens opened up as a torrent poured down upon me. Now forced into my one man oven of a tent all i could do is listen to the almighty sounds and catch glimps of the the lightening light up kilometers of the valley walls...If only i had a camera! but I guess the fact that it's something i witnessed alone and now it's locked in my memory makes it more personal/spiritual significance.

By morning I was up before the sun (although i hadn't actually slept) and with the merc predicted to head to higher levels i decided to bug out of the valley, back to the wattle ridge. Pulling on my absolutley drenched clothes i was expecting all sorts of blisters, chaffing and rashes...i wasn't let down. it was a slow but steady grind back to the car, my feet were totally shredded, my beanbag resembled something of a compost heap and my pack and all it's contents wet felt a tonne. I passed a mob of walkers heading into starlights as i reached the trail head and gleefully accepted a mouthfull of water of one kind member who informed me of the best news yet...My car was still in the car park!

Anyway, long story for not many klms covered but i thought somebody might find it interesting especially if you were out in that storm too.

Bye,
aaron.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes