Neat's Glenn - BlueGum - Perry's Lookdown

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Neat's Glenn - BlueGum - Perry's Lookdown

Postby colinm » Tue 02 Apr, 2013 8:05 am

Too rich for my blood - I think the 600m ascent over 2km at the end was the most difficult bit for me. The 11km walk in with unremitting descent over poorly aligned slab-steps covered (in places) with leaf litter, rocks, etc was also a constant attention-focusing exercise in not taking a tumble. Not that there's anything one could do about it really, short of installing escalators, and of course the Rodriguez Pass wouldn't be passable (to me, at least) without some kind of steps.

More importantly, though, it is worth knowing that there's been a pretty significant rockfall at Beauchamp Falls which obliterated (guessing) 50m of track, leaving a bit of scree and some boulders through which one has to scout a way.

Most important to be aware of is the 30cm soil ledge forming an exposed traverse across the upper section of the rockfall - NPWS have bolted about 20m of cable to the cliff at roughly waist height, and you have to sidle across it. The immediate drop under it is only maybe 3-4 meters, to a sloping platform with another ... I dunno, 10m drop below that. All perfectly safe, as long as you hang onto the cable and don't slip. It felt like my own little bit of El Caminito del Rey, but I'm a great big wuss.
sig pending approval
colinm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Neat's Glenn - BlueGum - Perry's Lookdown

Postby colinm » Tue 02 Apr, 2013 12:51 pm

Clarification: I see the photo of the cable section here viewtopic.php?f=36&t=7454 which was taken before 21 August 2011, so about 18 months ago. The footpath depicted there has eroded such that there's no way you could walk it using the cable as a rail, but have to sidle along with toe pointing into into the cliff. It's at least a foot-length wide except for one part of maybe 40cm you have to step over, as there's not even a toe hold. The rock fall is immediately below this section.
sig pending approval
colinm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby troy8880 » Tue 07 May, 2013 12:37 pm

After talking over the phone to the info centre I was told it was all in great condition. The fact that I was taking three kids under the age of 10 down was my concern. Under the guidance of the info centre we decided to go. I must say it was a little hairy getting across landslide. The plan was one at a time but kids being kids all followed through immediately. In hindsight I probably would not take kids along there again. They thought it was great til they seen what was on the other side of the drop.
troy8880
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby colinm » Wed 08 May, 2013 2:51 pm

Really. Interesting. I spoke to a ranger there about the cable shuffle, she seemed concerned. Shining me on, I guess.
sig pending approval
colinm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes