RNP Ramble.

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

RNP Ramble.

Postby kanangra » Wed 15 May, 2013 12:11 pm

I decided a short walk would be in order before work this morning so I headed south to the RNP. I parked the car at Engadine Station and set off from there. I followed some firetrails around to Heathcote and then walked through the back streets to the Sutherland Bushfire Brigade HQ. Here the foottrack to Karloo Pool starts. I took this and walked briskly down to the pool which is lovely with beautiful clear deep fresh water. Excellent for swimming at another time of year. From here I headed across to Uloola Falls which were running. The designated camp site there is quite inhospitable. From there it was up on the ridge along the foot track towards Audley. There are several good vantage points along this ridge with views in all directions. The city skyline can even be seen off in the hazy distance. I continue over Mt Ball and Robertson Knoll before turning left on the Engadine Track which descends back down to Kangaroo Ck which I cross for the 2nd. time this morning. Again a very pretty spot at the junction of a side creek. Easy access on rock slabs on either bank. From here the track climbs and eventually crosses a small creek before climbing further to crest the ridge in some pleasant forest. Here two 4WD tracks are crossed before the track descends slightly once more. On the far rise yet another 4WD track is crossed and then it is a matter of picking a way through the maze of tracks behind Engadine Stn.

An excellent early morning ramble.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: RNP Ramble.

Postby johnw » Wed 15 May, 2013 1:56 pm

Good work K. This is also one of my own favourite rambles, particularly when I don't have much time available.
It's only about 35 mins drive from home. However I usually park at Heathcote Railway Station near RFS/SES HQ then walk via Karloo Pool, Uloola Falls, Robertsons Knoll, sometimes call into Audley for a coffee, up the Engadine Track then return to Heathcote via Bottle Forest trail. No road walking involved in that circuit. Occcasionally do other variations. For a bit of a challenge follow Kangaroo Creek all the way downstream from Karloo Pool to the Engadine track (some scrubby off-track but navigable).
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby kanangra » Wed 15 May, 2013 3:55 pm

John,

I was wondering what the going might be like down Kangaroo Ck. Will keep that in mind. You're fortunate to have all that country so close to home. The Royal has a surprisingly wild feel to it in many places and the water quality is usually very good.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby puredingo » Wed 15 May, 2013 7:07 pm

Good little walk there, K and quiet a hit out before work!
There used to be a track just North of Engadine station that almost ran a direct route down to Audely. Not sure if it's still there but it had some nice, deep water holes along the way with very drinkable water.

I remember being a young teen we would be down karloo pools on a regular basis as there is a cave near the main swimming hole to camp in and the place was absolutely packed with snakes of all kinds which we where interested in.
One time further on down the river we heard some rustling in the bushes and from the scrub emerged none other than Harry Butler. Dressed exactly as he did on the telly, he just gave us a quick nod and a smile and cruised on by....At 13 we thought that was just about as surreal as life gets.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kanangra » Thu 16 May, 2013 10:19 am

Harry Butler. Now that is a name i haven't heard for a long time. He was very popular back in the 70's and '80's but as I recall lost credibility with the public and faded from view.

Amazingly the Karloo Pool is still very beautiful. There was a little bit of rubbish around but not too much. The cave you mentioned is still there and would provide some shelter.

As to the track you mention I think it was the one i walked out on. It is known as the engadine track and leads from Audley to Engadine.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby puredingo » Fri 17 May, 2013 11:07 am

Who dares to sully the great mans name?!!!

What ever did happen to Ol' HB, was it one difining incident that lost his credibility or did his viewing public just lose interest? I've still got "Harry Butler in the wild" 1 and 2 in the bookshelf to this very day.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kanangra » Fri 17 May, 2013 12:45 pm

As do I. I was a big fan too. But as i recall he did some ads for a mining company that was tearing up the landscape and things were never quite the same between Harry and the public after that.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby puredingo » Fri 17 May, 2013 6:15 pm

Bah! I say, Mal Douglas was basically a walking, talking Toyota advertisment tearing up and down the country with his landcruiser and cattledog desecrating sacred lands and crossing spiritual taboo boundries but did he draw the nasty scowel of the finger pointing public,NO!...which was good because I loved the bloke.

And I loved O'l HB too. Anybody who packs an over and under shotgun on a bushwalk with the sole intention of taking out the feral cat population is all right by me.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Rob A » Fri 17 May, 2013 7:26 pm

'Arry? Les came along.
Every four seconds, somewhere in the world, an Harlequin Mills and Boon is sold ... Wot ...
Rob A
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby DaveNoble » Mon 15 Jul, 2013 7:33 pm

Thanks Kanangra for suggesting this walk. I had never been on the tracks to the north of Uloola Falls. A friend and myself did the walk last Friday and enjoyed it a lot. We started and ended at Heathcote. I think its a fair bit better walk that the Waterfall - Uloola Falls - Karloo Pool - Heathcote walk.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kanangra » Tue 16 Jul, 2013 10:16 am

Dave,

I'm glad you enjoyed it and I agree it is superior to the walk from Waterfall which starts with that bash along the fire trail.

By the way thank you for all the trouble you go to posting photographs of your trips on your blog site. I am a regular visitor and find the content both informative and inspirational.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 01 Oct, 2013 12:14 am

Anyone done the unmarked section b/n Waterfall Stn and Karloo Pool in the recent past? That is, along Kangaroo Ck, going NE. Thinking of doing it this weekend.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Allchin09 » Tue 01 Oct, 2013 1:03 pm

GPSGuided - I was planning on doing it a month or so back in a loop from Audley along the tracks to Waterfall, returning along Kangaroo Ck. I didn't end up making it to the Ck as I had a delayed start. It sounds like a good walk, and it is described in Take A Walk - In NSW NPs (SE zone), page 68-9.

There are also track notes in Alan Fairley's Discovering RNP on Foot in which a track from the southern end of Heathcote to Karloo Pool is taken, and then Kangaroo Ck is followed for 1.2km where an ascent is made to Heathcote via the firetrail that follow the top end of Karloo spur.

Not sure if any of that help, but be sure to let us know what condition the track is in if you do go!
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 01 Oct, 2013 1:47 pm

Thanks Alex. I read about this section in Chapman's 'Day Walks Sydney' which I have a copy. I also note that the section b/n the waterfall (not Waterfall Stn) and Karloo Pool is unmarked and not labelled on the topo map. I am sure it's walkable but with a family in tow, I'd be interested in gaining a better idea of that section before taking them in. Irrespective, will definitely report back if I should venture. No rain forecast for the coming days and that's good. I understand that it's necessary to criss-cross Kangaroo Ck a few times along the way. Planning to route via Uloola Track for the return to Waterfall Stn.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Allchin09 » Tue 01 Oct, 2013 2:16 pm

Forgot about that book, it's sitting on my desk right next to me! As you say, I'd be more inclined to check it out / get an update on the conditions before taking others with me.

It is amazing how many features just disappear on maps as time goes by. My free RNP visitors map visitors map from 2010 show Karloo Pool, and even the new visitors map which is tiny and absolutely terrible in detail and size has the feature on it!

Allchin09

Postby johnw » Tue 01 Oct, 2013 2:30 pm

GPSGuided wrote:Anyone done the unmarked section b/n Waterfall Stn and Karloo Pool in the recent past? That is, along Kangaroo Ck, going NE. Thinking of doing it this weekend.

I have done it once, but quite a while back now; maybe 7 or 8 years ago. Should do it again. My recollections. It had a few minor challenges but overall wasn't difficult. Yes, there was some criss-crossing. For the first couple of kms there was a fairly obvious pad on the eastern (RHS) side, I think to the small waterfall. It was starting to get a little overgrown in places from (fading) memory. After that it was off track but quite negotiable. I recall that we found it necessary to deviate to the east from the creek once or twice, and climb to traverse small cliff tops above creek level at least once. A number of rock pools along the way. I also recall a lot of debris on the western bank within a km or two of Karloo Pool that forced us to change tack. I reckon the creek water levels would be fairly low at present, which could help with progress.

Pretty sure I used the track notes from the NPA guidebook at the time. We just exited up to Heathcote and caught the train back to the start. A circuit returning via Uloola Falls will add roughly 10kms to the outward segment. I guess maybe 18 to 20km or so for the whole trip. Not technically difficult but reasonably strenuous.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 01 Oct, 2013 5:00 pm

Great John. I am expecting for 17km for the full loop. Just the right load for the family for a day route. Also considering the loop down to Lady Carrington Dr. So many interesting options that'll keep my charge entertained.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: RNP Ramble - Kangaroo Ck Falls

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 06 Oct, 2013 9:54 pm

Took a walk on the Kangaroo Creek Track today b/n Waterfall Stn CP and Kangaroo Creek Falls. The original plan for the full loop down to Karloo Pool had to be postponed due to a lethargic late start. What we discovered were,
- Kangaroo Creek Track is no longer a publicised track.
- Access from Waterfall Stn CP has changed. NPWS has blocked the original start of the track that was at the northern end of the car park with dead and live shrubs. The new and acknowledged trailhead is now some 100m from the single well presented trail from the CP, on the left with a stone painted in yellow. No track name on their official tourist map nor at the trailhead.
- The track b/n CP and Kangaroo Creek Falls is moderately overgrown but a clear path can be identified and followed. There are painted markers at strategic places which kept things easy. Essentially, it's not easy to get lost.
- The fall was a gem with a very nice deep pool. Perfect place for rest and a swim.
- Although we had to turn back, I did look around for the continuing path north-east, in the direction of Karloo Pool. Unfortunately, I could not identify a clear way out. The lower level of the gorge is pretty thick in vegetation and I suspect the correct path is via the high banks on the south-eastern side. Not sure on this. Either way, it'll have to be for another day.
- Startled a stag right by the north end of Waterfall CP whilst searching for the start of the track. Had to bash through some bush before crossing the track. Much easier on the return. At least now I can believe there are deers in RNP.
- We came across 0 fellow bush walkers on the track.

A few photos,
A strategically painted marker

Interesting creek bed formation from a branching creek.

Wild flower. Can anyone identify it?

Kangaroo Ck Falls
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby johnw » Mon 07 Oct, 2013 12:57 am

GPSGuided wrote: ...Kangaroo Creek Track is no longer a publicised track.
... No track name on their official tourist map nor at the trailhead.

I think this may have been the case for a long time (always?). It does not appear on my early 2000's vintage tourist map and all guidebook notes I own refer to it as trackless.

GPSGuided wrote: ... I suspect the correct path is via the high banks on the south-eastern side.

My recollection is that that is correct.

GPSGuided wrote: ... Wild flower. Can anyone identify it?

I think it is Pultenaea stipularis. Common in RNP.
John W

johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 07 Oct, 2013 8:03 pm

johnw wrote:I think it is Pultenaea stipularis. Common in RNP.

Thanks! I am learning... :oops:
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby mattburga » Thu 12 Dec, 2013 1:48 pm

I've been hiking the RNP for about 10-15 years. I once chatted to an older couple I ran into on track who told me there is a track along the west of the park from Waterfall Station, they said something like it's not on maps but it's there. I forgot about that chat till I read the info here about Kangaroo Creek track.

So rambled along it today as per the instructions from Waterfall Station. As reported above the track is there, it's over grown in parts and I did get lost a few times but found my way back. The track leads to three small waterfalls. The first is pretty small. The second not much further along is a bit bigger and has a nice water hole you could wade into it. It was the cleanest looking. The third is a far distance a long and has a deep blue pool at the bottom.

The third looks like it was a popular swimming spot a long time ago (old broken bottles in the undergrowth). From the north ridge a track leads north west to a small clearing with an old camp fire ring and another pile of ashes on the rock over hang. I looked for a track towards Karloo falls (or any where) but no luck.

As mentioned above the old path was on the east ridge. I searched and bush bashed a bit for about 20 minutes but could not locate a track. So returned the way I came.

I got a bit lost right near the Waterfall CP and stumbled on a tent set up, I quietly retraced my steps. Then when I didn't get back on the track I walked past a guy who was not dressed for hiking. I said hello and he grunted back. I'm guessing that was his tent/camp...

If I can find an old map or track notes I'll try again one day.
mattburga
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby mattburga » Thu 12 Dec, 2013 2:33 pm

Random tents in RNP makes me think of this http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/stor ... onal-park/
mattburga
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Allchin09 » Thu 12 Dec, 2013 6:30 pm

Good to here there are still bits of the Kangaroo Ck track around.

I recently did a walk down Engadine Ck which is trackless (as far as I know) and whilst I didn't find any tents, I found a few caves along the way that had rubbish and bit and pieces in them, indicating that they had been used to stay in.

The NPWS and NSW Police recently conducted a search of the park for people that were living in it. Apparently they found around 30 individuals, mostly situated around both the Waterfall and Engadine train stations with I found quite interesting.

Allchin09

Postby puredingo » Thu 12 Dec, 2013 8:56 pm

Used to find many a weird thing in the "nasho' as a kid. Always plenty of hermit humpy's (particulary in between Engadine and waterfall station) many crops, gun safes, traps, a record collection featuring Ringo Starrs solo stuff? and as I mentioned before we even found harry butler!
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 12 Dec, 2013 9:01 pm

mattburga wrote:Random tents in RNP makes me think of this http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/stor ... onal-park/

You think that, I think of this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FDSdg09df8
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 12 Dec, 2013 9:05 pm

Allchin09 wrote:The NPWS and NSW Police recently conducted a search of the park for people that were living in it. Apparently they found around 30 individuals, mostly situated around both the Waterfall and Engadine train stations with I found quite interesting.

30 individuals?!? Are you kidding? That many?

Anyway, back to the main topic. Still keen to find a path b/n Karloo Pool and the Kangaroo Ck Falls. Not sure if I have sufficient experience to bash a path through it. Also not sure summer is the right season for it.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby mattburga » Thu 12 Dec, 2013 9:45 pm

Agreed I'd like to find the track. A copy of an old map or track notes would help.

I'll look for a copy of Chapman's Day Walks in Sydney.

Early in my hiking days I cam across two naked, well they had shoes and backpacks, guys at Karloo pools. freaked me the hello out.
mattburga
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby GPSGuided » Thu 12 Dec, 2013 11:22 pm

I have a copy of Chapman's book and could see on their map where one needs to cross the creek. However even in their description, that said section was already pretty patchy and that would have been a fews years ago. The tracks is also on OSM but it's not precise, just a general guide for crossings.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Allchin09 » Fri 13 Dec, 2013 10:04 pm

GPSGuided wrote:
Allchin09 wrote:The NPWS and NSW Police recently conducted a search of the park for people that were living in it. Apparently they found around 30 individuals, mostly situated around both the Waterfall and Engadine train stations with I found quite interesting.

30 individuals?!? Are you kidding? That many?

Anyway, back to the main topic. Still keen to find a path b/n Karloo Pool and the Kangaroo Ck Falls. Not sure if I have sufficient experience to bash a path through it. Also not sure summer is the right season for it.

I was told exactly 28, surprising isn't it!

Allchin09

Postby GPSGuided » Fri 13 Dec, 2013 10:31 pm

I'd believe it in the depression (there were many), but 2013?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Next

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes