A walk in the Wild Dogs

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

A walk in the Wild Dogs

Postby Allchin09 » Sat 22 Feb, 2014 9:38 pm

We set off from Katoomba station just after catching the 7pm train and made our way through the town and streets to Glenraphael Drive, and the familiar Narrow Neck fire trail. All the flat and uphill sections along here were jogged, and there were a few puddles along the way that needed to be avoided due to the recent rain.

We reached to descent onto the "second neck" just on dark, and it was here that I had to stop to fix up my quickdraw shoelace that had snapped on my salomon shoes. I was amazed that it had snapped and the lace on the other shoe had snapped about 5 minutes earlier, and they had never snapped on me before!

With head torches on, we continued South, passing the fire tower and descending the spikes of 'Taro's Ladders' a little under two hours after starting the walk. On the last walk that I had climbed down them at night it was wet I had forgotten to pack a head torch so it was a little easier this time!

From there we continued on to the fire trail at Medlow Gap, and then on to the walking track which wraps around Mt Warrigal and passes through Mobbs Soak. Despite the recent rain, the soak was very dry and the track was free of the usual mud which one encounters at this point. The going was also slower along the track as it was in poorer condition than usual with many of the bushes a little overgrown, and lots of logs crossing laying across the track.

We reached Mt Yellow Dog around 1:30am and after a 5 min break for some food it was off on the descent to the Coxs River down Yellow Pup ridge. Down, down, down we went, zig zagging through the two sets of three switchbacks. We reached the Coxs in good time and quickly crossed the shallow water, getting wet only halfway up our shins. It was here that my walking partner said that she had somehow hurt her knee somewhere along the track, and that going downhill really wasn't making it happy.

We made the decision to walk up to Konangaroo Clearing to rest for a few hours. As neither of us had overnight gear, and my warm gear comprised shorts, a shirt and a thermal top, we decided to light a fire to keep us warm, and we took turns looking after it. I had a throwaway plastic poncho that I wrapped around my legs for extra warmth, but I am thankful the night wasn't too cold! We had decided to take it easy on the 30k or so return journey, and I suggested that we visit Splendour Rock, which I had walked past many a time but had never visited. By 4am we were up and away in order with the intention of making it to the lookout for sunrise.

I filled up one water bottle at Kanangra Creek, crossed the Coxs and then trudged up Yellow Pup. I was happy to reach Mt Yellow Dog as time was ticking away and dawn was fast approaching. My walking partner was taking it easy along the flats and downhills as her leg was still preventing her from walking at her usual lightning pace. Und upon reaching the turnoff to Mt Dingo, the home of Splendour Rock, she made the decision to walk out via the way we had come in, but encouraged me to still watch the sunrise.

We separated here, and I made my way up onto Mt Dingo, breaking through the cliff line after a little scramble. From here I turned south and followed the occasional cairn until the cliff edges to my left and right narrowed, and I reached Splendour Rock. The mountains that stood before me were all aglow and dropped pack to watch the fire red fat sun slowly arise from behind Kings Tableland, revealing Lake Burragorang, the Blue Breaks, Kanangra Walls, the Gangerangs, Krungle Bungle Range, the Coxs River and my route up Yellow Pup ridge. It was just magnificent.

After watching for a while, I opened up the nearby silver box containing a logbooks and along with service records for those bushwalkers who were lost in WWII, and whom the memorial plaque at the end of Splendour Rock is dedicated to. I spent time reading through the book which was under a year old, and then read through the service records.

Being a little tired, I decided to have a little nap on the rocks, which soon turned into a solid 4 hour sleep! I must say, the view that I had when I finally woke up was probably the best I have ever received upon waking!

As it was now past 11am, I had a bit to eat and then set off for Katoomba Station with less than 100mls of water. I decided to say high and walk North across Mt Dingo as it was new to me. The track wasn't too difficult to follow, and I was soon climbing down rocks at at Mt Dingos Northern end, before crossing Dingo Gap and making my way up onto Mt Merrimerrigal with ease. A track was followed until the 'Playground of the Dingoes' when I continued North and descended down the very tip of the plateau, down a small crack just to the East. From here I walked towards Mt Warrigal and upon reaching cliff line, turned right at a cairn along Wombat Parade. I skirting around Mt Warrigal, closely hugging the cliffs, and then headed North to meet the main track at the Black Horse Ridge junction. This route from Splendour Rock to the junction had been quite enjoyable, and much more interesting to the usual route through Mobbs Soak.

Unfortunately, but taking this route, I'd missed out on filling up at Mobbs Soak and I was now low on water. Continuing on to Medlow Gap and up Mt Debert I didn't push hard and just plodded along. Upon climbing Taro's Ladders, I took the time to scout out a possible pass down through the cliff. It was the one mentioned by Wilf Hilder in Bushwalking NSW Tracks and Access Report on Narrow Neck passes. He describes on the Eastern side of Clear Hill, just before you climb up the metal rugged ladder. I could get down the first drop or two, but the next one looked pretty big, so I didn't give it a proper look. I'll have to come back for it another time.

I then walked up onto Clear Hill and drank the last of my water. All I had to do now was walk the rest of Narrow Neck and then make my way through the streets and I was done. I wasn't worried about being out of water as I knew that there were puddles along the way, and I stopped to drink of three of them as they were reached. A few runners presumably training for the North Face 100 were passed jogging along, and two people on mountain bikes also whizzed passed. Reaching the familiar locked gate car park was welcomed as I knew that it was only a few k's before I would be back in suburbia. Upon reaching the end of Glenraphael Drive, I weaved my way through the streets and eventually past the many takeaway shop of Katoomba's main street. It was hard not to stop there and tuck into a good feed! The final hill was then summitted and the train station reached. The next train back to Sydney was still a good 30mins away, so I made good use of the bubbler, and then walked back to the nearest fish and chip shop for a delicious beef burger with the lot before making the long train trip home.

Although the trip didn't turn out the way it was planned, I really enjoyed my time at Splendour Rock and walking back from there. I really encourage all those who haven't seen the sunrise from the end of Mt Dingo to do so!

(For those who haven't made the trip yet, Dave Noble's panorama will give you a great idea of what to expect! - http://www.david-noble.net/bushwalking/ ... orama.html)
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers
Region: New South Wales

Re: A walk in the Wild Dogs

Postby kanangra » Sun 23 Feb, 2014 1:12 pm

Great report. What was your original plan? Your companion must be goer. A walk out there in the dead of night wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jonnosan » Sun 23 Feb, 2014 4:30 pm

Hey Alex, you didn't mention the date but assuming this was thursday night, I drove past you on the back streets of Katoomba. Sorry I didn't stop as I was too far down the hill to reverse by the time I put a name to the face.

Sounds a grand adventure, I have been done a couple of night walks to splendour rock but I always cheat and start at Dunphys
jonnosan

Postby DarrenM » Sun 23 Feb, 2014 5:27 pm

Alex, you remind me of an old time bushwalker in a young mans body. Doing things the old school way.....I love it mate, keep up the good work.
DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Allchin09 » Sun 23 Feb, 2014 7:40 pm

Kanangra - The intention was to visit Cloudmaker, Paralyser and Guouogang before returning to the Coxs and walking back the way we had come in.

Jonno - I thought it was you in the car driving past, but I wasn't quite sure. Off for an adventure were you?

Darren - Haha, will do!
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers

Postby kanangra » Mon 24 Feb, 2014 9:36 am

So it was a 3 peaks attempt. I thought as much. Shame the attempt was aborted. Better luck next time.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Onestepmore » Mon 24 Feb, 2014 10:04 am

kanangra wrote:So it was a 3 peaks attempt. I thought as much. Shame the attempt was aborted. Better luck next time.

K.

Ahh , that makes sense now. I asked hubby, 'Why would he be going down that way in the middle of the night?' He said it was a three peaks trip, but I said that there wasn't any mention of this in the story, but I see now he was right. It's on his list of 'to do' as well
Good try - have fun next attempt.
Blundering down ladders and cliffs in the dark is not for me!
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes