Wandering in the Wolgan.

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Re: Wandering in the Wolgan.

Postby kanangra » Tue 19 Aug, 2014 11:48 am

Yes. Perhaps the best preserved are those at the old Tolwong Mine site on the Shoalhaven. Now that is another excellent trip......

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 19 Aug, 2014 11:56 am

You've been there? That's the exact one I was thinking about. How did you enter it? From Bungonia Canyon area?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby kanangra » Tue 19 Aug, 2014 12:06 pm

Yes. The Trestle Track I think it is called from memory. But it also possible to visit from the Tolwong property on the plateau. That is one of my favourite rural properties. I did a great walk through there from Coolandel to Tallong not so long back. Finished it with a crossing of the Shoalhaven Gorge in flood. That was interesting. Wineglass Tor is another interesting feature in the area.

K
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 19 Aug, 2014 12:16 pm

It's certainly of interest to me too. Did some OSM work for that area. I hear that the owner/s of that Tolwong property aren't so keen on walkers these days. Ah, so many interesting places to visit!
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kanangra » Tue 19 Aug, 2014 12:37 pm

Yes I've heard the same. It was early in the morning when I went through and I kept my distance from the homestead. 8)

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kanangra » Tue 19 Aug, 2014 12:52 pm

Once past the ruins the track follows an old farm road which is very scenic as it winds its way through the valley.

P8130262.JPG
Farm road down the Wolgan.

In places it follows the river closely.

P8130263 (Medium).JPG
Wolgan River

P8130264 (Medium).JPG

P8130265 (Medium).JPG

Along the route were several of these rings with sand in them across the track. I couldn't work out what they were for?

P8130268 (Medium).JPG
Anyone know what these are for? One every 500m or so? Animal control?

Anyway before long I arrived at the site of the old farm. Yet more relics although from a later era.

TBC.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 19 Aug, 2014 1:17 pm

Every 500m that's exactly transverse to the track, must be some engineering design that's related to the railway. Could it be a filled trench under the tract for cables or other control mechanisms? I note that's some kind of structure to the left of the sand pit in your photo. Is that something consistent at all similar locations? I'm surprised that it's still left sandy after all these years though. Go ahead, do an archeological dig on one of those pits and explore the structure underneath and for any other clues. ;)
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Travis22 » Tue 19 Aug, 2014 1:21 pm

Fantastic trip kanangra, the photos are very inspiring. I love visiting such places however most similar locations ive visited are 4x4 access only and not a great deal of walking but still extremely interesting.

Travis.
Travis22
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby kanangra » Tue 19 Aug, 2014 1:34 pm

Thanks Travis. I like to keep clear of the 4WD's if possible.

GPS I've left the railway behind now. No infrastructure underground in this vicinity. I did see one or two newish looking cages?

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Allchin09 » Tue 19 Aug, 2014 1:43 pm

Interesting trip Kanangra, looking forward to seeing the totem pole! As a side note, I believe that some of the area that you visited, including the ruins, are actually under threat from a modernday longwall mining proposal. I'm not sure how well some of those fragile relics will stand up to ground subsidence.

kanangra wrote:Along the route were several of these rings with sand in them across the track. I couldn't work out what they were for?

I believe they are fox baiting locations. They are usually placed at regular intervals of 500m or so like you say, and I think the steel rim might be to serve as a barrier to the bait for non-target animals.
Tackling the unknown and the awesome one adventure at a time!

Check out my latest trips at http://aoacblog.wordpress.com/posts
Allchin09

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Sydney Bush Walkers

Postby kanangra » Tue 19 Aug, 2014 1:53 pm

Ah that sounds most likely. None of the baits looked disturbed to me. And there was nothing in the cages. And yes I promise to get to the Totem Pole shots but at only 5 photos a post it takes me a while. :wink:

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 19 Aug, 2014 2:38 pm

Have you tried a free photo hosting service eg. Photobucket.com? You'll be able to upload all your photos there in folders of your choosing. Then it's a matter of copy and pasting the links into forum threads. Very easy and much much much more efficient. Worth checking it out.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kanangra » Tue 19 Aug, 2014 3:28 pm

Mate it has taken me all this time to master posting photos on here and you want me to try something new? :shock: :oops: :roll:

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kanangra » Tue 19 Aug, 2014 3:37 pm

Next I came upon the entrance gate to the old abandoned farm.

P8130266 (Medium).JPG
Old strainer post.

P8130267 (Medium).JPG
Entrance gate. Hasn't been moved in years?

P8130271 (Medium).JPG
Farmhouse

P8130270 (Medium).JPG
Shed.

P8130274 (Medium).JPG
Tractor

TBC

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 19 Aug, 2014 3:42 pm

Perfect! Time to pick up another Internet skill to do justice to all your wonderful trips. As said, it's not difficult and with the number of photos you tend to have, you'll be well trained in no time. Happy to guide you along. Sign up for an account there first. One other, by posting photos elsewhere, it'll reduce the storage load on the forum server. Not sure about how things are on Matt's end, but a number of forums tries to minimise their storage of multimedia files and make maximum use of other services.

One other advantage with upload to a photo hosting service is that you can categorise all your photos. Makes future retrieval or presentations very easy.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Kainas » Tue 19 Aug, 2014 3:53 pm

That track looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing. I think it is near us, maybe one to add to the list for future years.
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kanangra » Tue 19 Aug, 2014 4:03 pm

Kainas I have to say it really is. It's like a walk in the park. Further on it is just a carpet of grass; beautiful.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jonnosan » Tue 19 Aug, 2014 9:50 pm

I am really enjoying this report kanangra, very keen to get out there myself as soon as I can get a few days
jonnosan

Postby kanangra » Wed 20 Aug, 2014 10:58 am

I am sure you would enjoy it. Towering cliffs surround you the whole way.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kanangra » Wed 20 Aug, 2014 11:07 am

Like this.

P8130275 (Medium).JPG

And like this.

P8130287 (Medium).JPG

K.
Last edited by kanangra on Wed 20 Aug, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby johnw » Wed 20 Aug, 2014 2:09 pm

Thank you K. for sharing these images and reminding me of this fantastic historic area that I haven't visited for many years. Unfortunately it's a long drive for me so tends to get overlooked as most of my walks these days are day trips. I've visited many of the spots that you've photographed and have fond memories of the Glowworm Tunnel/Old Coach Road circuit, as well as an overnighter from Newnes to Glen Davis and back via the Pipeline Track (currently closed apparently). I haven't yet linked those two locations as you've done, so I look forward to that (eventually). Another spot where there are a few more ruins in the bush is on the north side of the Wolgan River approaching Pipeline Pass.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kanangra » Wed 20 Aug, 2014 2:13 pm

John,

I am glad you are enjoying them. It is indeed a very beautiful area. I had not been through for over 30 years myself! I am now wondering why I left it so long.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kanangra » Wed 20 Aug, 2014 3:27 pm

Next up I came upon an open area with room for several tents that would make an excellent place to camp.

P8130276 (Medium).JPG
Clearing.

P8130277 (Medium).JPG
Camping area.

The track then climbs away from the river almost to the base of the cliffs before descending to the Rocky Ck. junction.

P8130280 (Medium).JPG
Rocky Ck.

Good camping spots here.

P8130278 (Medium).JPG
Camp spot at Rocky Ck.

Here the track crosses the river to the northern bank. Note the current Mt Morgan sheet is incorrect where it shows it continuing on the southern bank.

P8130281 (Medium).JPG
Wolgan river at the crossing.

TBC

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby puredingo » Mon 25 Aug, 2014 3:17 pm

Wow K! you really channeled your inner Japanese tourist there with that sort of photo content. Great report, it's been quiet around here of late.
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kanangra » Mon 25 Aug, 2014 5:45 pm

Mate and I am still only on Day 1. :shock:......... there was morning and evening; the first day. :|

K
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kanangra » Wed 27 Aug, 2014 2:30 pm

Time to wrap this saga up I think.

Once across the river the track became a grassy carpet.

P8140300 (Medium).JPG
Track on the North side of the Wolgan

Then at about MR 547:234 it crosses back. There are a few camp sites here and some wag has even installed the kitchen sink.

P8130285 (Medium).JPG
The kitchen sink.

A little further on the track ends at about MR 549:233. From here it is necessary to make your way through the bush. There is no track. My tip would be to stay well above the river. I made better time that way on the way back the next day. I even picked up three markers, 45,44 and 43. But with no track on the ground I saw no more, if there were any.

About 4:30 I arrived at Annie Rowan Ck. and set up camp. This area was vastly different from my photos of 30 years ago. The grassy banks have been overtaken by regrowth.

P8140297 (Medium).JPG
Camp on the far bank of Annie Rowan Ck

I toyed with the idea of pressing on to the Totem Pole that night but decided to leave it until the morning. I had a very pleasant evening in front of the fire enjoying a three course meal from the comfort of my camp chair. (I know I'm getting soft in my old age.

Next morning I was away at first light. Again I kept well above the river trying to avoid the thickest of the scrub. Then suddenly about 100m ahead there it was, the object of my search. It had only taken me about 35 years.

P8140293 (Medium).JPG
The Totem Pole

I stayed just long enough to take a few photos and then I returned to camp. I had everything packed away and ready to go by 8:30. I had a long day ahead. I generally retraced my outwards route only when I reached Newnes I took the road back to the Coach Rd which I then followed up across the old railway easement. I completed the circuit by taking the Pagoda track to the car, reaching it at 4:30PM.

This was an excellent walk. strongly recommended.

K.

THE END 8)
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Previous

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes