Mt Warning /Wollumbin T.R.

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mt Warning /Wollumbin T.R.

Postby ofuros » Sat 28 Mar, 2015 1:48 pm

Tweed Heads. 3 Colourful balloons slowly drifted people across the sky,
lush tall green sugar cane roadside,
Tweed river, sediment brown & wide.

Overflowing car park. Rock & root staircase zig zagged upwards.
Thick trunks, strangler vines, tree ferns, moss covered rocks.
Whoop whoops..twittering... squawks...bird calls.
Clear mountain stream criss-crossed several times.
Cupped & splashed my face & neck.
Constant concentration needed on the uneven path.
2 walkers with music blaring from their daypacks....

Cloud covered summit. Thick & dense. Cooling.
No big green vista, just a dull grey curtain.
Munched on a date & coconut bar.

Groups caught each other on the way down, making up a long conga line
snaking it's way down the mountain.

These are the pics that got me interested in this Extinct Shield Volcano.
Will have to pick a clearer morning next time though. It's not called the 'Cloud Catcher' for nothing. :wink:
Popular little walk on weekends ! Da da dada conga..da da dada conga ! :lol:
Mt Warning.jpg

Mt warning shield volcano.jpg

Only view on the way back down....Mt Uki & The Sisters.
Mt Warning view P3280001 (1) (Medium).JPG
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Mt Warning /Wollumbin T.R.

Postby phan_TOM » Wed 22 Apr, 2015 10:59 am

I love that first shot. Is it an aerial view or is it taken from the tweed scenic drive / border ranges?

I went up to try and catch the sunrise from the summit on the weekend. Too early a start for what ended up being the view of the inside of a cloud... Pretty much an exact repeat of my last attempt too, clear skies and magnificent vision of the milky way on the way there only to enter the clouds near the top of the mountain. I stood around in the dark for close to an hour, cold and damp with a couple of dozen other people hoping to catch a glimpse of the view and sunrise. And we did, partially, for about 35 seconds!

Not long after starting down I got below the cloud and driving home through Mt Jerusalem Nat Pk I looked back to see it still sitting on the summit like a hat. It was an amazing sunrise too judging by the photos that popped up online.

ofuros wrote:2 walkers with music blaring from their daypacks....

On my way down, it must have been about 7am, I heard music blaring and not long after came across 3 twenty something guys coming up who were obviously still quite pissed from the night before. One was carrying a worksite style tradie stereo playing triple J at full volume... It was bizarre

Wollumbin-01.jpg
Wollumbin - Cloud Catcher
Wollumbin-01.jpg (78.1 KiB) Viewed 6410 times

Wollumbin-02.jpg
Looking north

Wollumbin-03.jpg
Looking east over the Tweed River
ALWAYS be yourself.
Unless you can be outside, then ALWAYS be outside.
phan_TOM
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Mt Warning /Wollumbin T.R.

Postby ofuros » Wed 22 Apr, 2015 10:08 pm

phan_TOM wrote:I love that first shot. Is it an aerial view or is it taken from the tweed scenic drive / border ranges?

On my way down, it must have been about 7am, I heard music blaring and not long after came across 3 twenty something guys coming up who were obviously still quite pissed from the night before. One was carrying a worksite style tradie stereo playing triple J at full volume... It was bizarre

I'd say it's a aerial view, phan_Tom...taken off the internet because it made my heart miss a beat when I saw it. 8)
Closing followed by area research & browsing topo maps to satiate my curiosity....

I'd rather have dingo howls, a gurgling creek, bird calls or breezes buffeting the leaves above as background noise,
rather than blaring music, but each to their own. :wink:

:idea: Next time I climb Wollumbin it'll be with a dry inland westerly blowing, maybe that'll give me that illusive cloudless panorama.
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes