Tinderry Twin Peak, Tinderry Nature Reserve near Michelago

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Tinderry Twin Peak, Tinderry Nature Reserve near Michelago

Postby NathanaelB » Tue 12 May, 2015 6:03 pm

I’d been postponing doing this hike for a few weeks, so even though the forecast was a bit miserable I headed out anyway, though with a few more precautions in case I ran into strife given my level of ability and fitness.

My trip was based on John Evans’ 2006 group walk to Twin Peak parking at the Mt Allen Fire Trail gate about 6km north of the Burra Road – Tinderry Road intersection outside Michelago ...

Read the rest of my trip report on my blog.

NathanaelB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Tinderry Twin Peak, Tinderry Nature Reserve near Michela

Postby kanangra » Wed 20 May, 2015 10:00 am

Interesting report. I have looked at the Tinderies for years as I've driven down the Monaro Hwy. Never actually made it up there. shame you just missed out.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paul8 » Sat 26 Dec, 2015 10:08 pm

NathanaelB, A pity you missed reaching the summit ... nice view at the top !
We did it in Oct 2015, via a car shuffle: Park one car at Round Flat Firetrail. Park the other car at Mt Allen Firetrail. Then walk from one car to the other, climbing Tinderry Twin & Tinderry Peak in between.
Photos and my report of the trip is in this link:
http://mntviews.blogspot.com.au/2015/10/tinderry-twin-tinderry-peak-nsw.html
At the Tinderry Twin summit, there is face-like rock ... most interesting ... see photos #17, #18 of the above link.
The Jack Russell Terrier dog you mentioned ... She also accompanied us all the way ... climbed both Tinderry Twin & Tinderry Peak with us ... really amazing, considering that she is only a small dog !
The 2 rocky outcrops in my report are also very interesting (Photos #32 - #48). It is worth a separate trip just to explore them.
paul8
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby NathanaelB » Sun 27 Dec, 2015 6:34 pm

THANK YOU Paul, thank you ... I am so happy that dog is still alive. I was convinced she'd overexerted herself and didn't make it back down the mountain. That has really made my day, thank you!
NathanaelB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes