Mt Guouogang

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Mt Guouogang

Postby JD The Bushwalker » Sat 15 Aug, 2015 11:45 am

For those of you who haven't seen it yet, I did a write up on my trek out to Mt Guouogang on my blog:

Mt Guouogang (pronounced Guo-uo-gang) is found in the Kanangra-Boyd National Park and is well known amongst bushwalkers to be the highest of the peaks in The Three Peaks Challenge. The Three Peaks Challenge is an extremely difficult challenge that only elite bushwalkers are able to complete.

On 21st of March 2015 I headed out with Nikki Dover, Jess Turner and Robert McCann toward Mt Guouogang. We drove out to Whalans Fire Trail (after first stopping at Jenolan) which is about 6km South of Jenolan. We parked up there and started our trek.

The initial walk on the fire trail was fairly easy going. It was a little bit hilly, and included a river crossing but wasn't anything too difficult (see image to the right). The gradual climb just seemed to go on for ages.

After about 1.5 – 2 hours on the trail we reached the section where we would part ways with the trail and head into the bush. The bush was really damp, and at this stage was quite thick, but a lot of it was only about knee or waist high. This area was covered in mostly ferns and is aptly named “Ferny Flat”. This is where we had our first encounter with some pesky leeches. Fortunately for us, they only managed to get on our shoes and we were able to shake them before they latched on....

For the rest of the write up go here
Check out my bushwalking/photography blog and like the Facebook page so you can follow new posts
JD The Bushwalker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Mt Guouogang

Postby wallwombat » Sat 15 Aug, 2015 12:08 pm

Good write up I think your blog would look better without dirty big watermarks across the middle of your photos.

Lucky no one was was washed away in that river crossing. Looks deadly ;p
wallwombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby JD The Bushwalker » Sat 15 Aug, 2015 12:19 pm

Cheers for the feedback - watermarks are there purely because my mate had a whole bunch of photos stolen online.... I don't claim to be a professional or anything but still don't want my photos stoeln

Haha yeah super deadly! :lol: That crossing was almost knee deep - luckily there was a log over the top of it just out of the frame :)
Check out my bushwalking/photography blog and like the Facebook page so you can follow new posts
JD The Bushwalker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby wallwombat » Sat 15 Aug, 2015 12:57 pm

You can watermark your photos without wrecking them. I watermark mine too but with a bit more subtlety - a small opaque watermark in the bottom right hand corner that reads, "copyright- my name"

If you have your DSLR set up properly, your copyright information should be the metadata of the photograph. It's easily done on camera. If you use Lightroom or a similar photo editor, you can put all your information - address, email, phone number, etc- into the metadata of the photo. It's easily done and you only have to do it once when you create an initial template which you then apply to each photo on export. Easy peasy.

Another thing is, using Photoshop's clone stamp, it's very easy to remove your watermark. A Photoshop expert could probably do it in five minutes. I'm no expert but I could probably do it in about twenty minutes, depending on the photo. Metadata, on the other hand, is there for good on the image file.

Obviously, you take pride in your photos and like people to view them and appreciate them. My point is, why make them look ugly when there are ways to protect your copyright without having to?

Best of luck with your bushwalking and your photography

WW
wallwombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby JD The Bushwalker » Sat 15 Aug, 2015 1:40 pm

I am new to the Lightroom and metadata - but is something I'll definitely look into. Thanks for the help! :D WW

EDIT: The drama I have with doing metadata is that I share my camera with my wife
JD The Bushwalker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby tom_brennan » Mon 17 Aug, 2015 11:10 am

wallwombat wrote:Another thing is, using Photoshop's clone stamp, it's very easy to remove your watermark. A Photoshop expert could probably do it in five minutes. I'm no expert but I could probably do it in about twenty minutes, depending on the photo. Metadata, on the other hand, is there for good on the image file.

You can remove metadata just as easily as any watermark on the photo - probably more easily since it doesn't require any special skills, just a graphics editor that reads/writes metadata.

But I agree with WW that if you want people to enjoy your photos, it's best to keep the watermark lower profile.
Bushwalking NSW - http://bushwalkingnsw.com
tom_brennan
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby juxtaposer » Mon 17 Aug, 2015 1:52 pm

Particularly like the photosphere panoramas, but the old trigonometrical station on top of Guouogang has nothing to do with the Dunphy's. Naming that and/or a log book as a memorial to them is plain ridiculous.
juxtaposer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wallwombat » Mon 17 Aug, 2015 4:32 pm

tom_brennan wrote:You can remove metadata just as easily as any watermark on the photo - probably more easily since it doesn't require any special skills, just a graphics editor that reads/writes metadata.

I stand corrected.
wallwombat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby JD The Bushwalker » Thu 20 Aug, 2015 10:27 am

wallwombat wrote:
tom_brennan wrote:You can remove metadata just as easily as any watermark on the photo - probably more easily since it doesn't require any special skills, just a graphics editor that reads/writes metadata.

I stand corrected.

Thanks for that guys - makes it a little more interesting when trying to preserve your creativity...
JD The Bushwalker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby JD The Bushwalker » Fri 21 Aug, 2015 1:49 pm

You'll be happy to know that I have fixed all the photos on the website, the are longer branded with an eye-sore watermark :)
JD The Bushwalker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby JD The Bushwalker » Mon 26 Oct, 2015 3:05 pm

The Link in the OP is now incorrect please use this one

I am unable to edit the OP so this will have to do - unless a mod is happy to update the OP for me :)
JD The Bushwalker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes