Green Gully

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Green Gully

Postby weeds » Mon 07 Sep, 2015 5:45 pm

In two weeks times........report to follow
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Green Gully

Postby drewmac » Fri 18 Sep, 2015 9:07 pm

Hi Weeds,
You will be wandering through my partners grandfathers old property before it was NP.
He cleared it all by hand.
Been a little while since I was in there to Youdales Hut.
Beautiful gorge country.
I love it down there.
Talk some warm clothes it gets cold.
Are you staying in some of the huts?
edit: just checked the info sheet and you will be in some of the stockmens huts...
NP use his old house, Cedar Creek Cottage, albeit upgraded now, for accommodation on the Green Gully.
Mmmm...must get down there again soon.
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby weeds » Sun 20 Sep, 2015 6:46 am

Er.....didn't realize it's still so cold down there so have packed a little extra.

Looking forward to the walk, we start on Friday although our key and info pack didn't turn up so hoping I can sort that out on Monday.
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby drewmac » Sun 20 Sep, 2015 9:08 am

Hi Weeds,

Cold?
My father in law grew up there.
There were 10 kids, all horseback work, real tough.
They mostly lived in town at Walcha as kids.
The old man, Alan, stayed out at Kunderang, he liked being on his own.
Tough upbringing, they remember it being bitterly cold.
When I talk to my father in law about the place, the cold comes up.

As you go in to Cedar Creek Cottage up the top, you pass Alan's older house, not used anymore, asbestos, can walk through it though plus some sheds that are there.

I am truly envious of your walk.
It is just beautfiul country.

Will prod my other half about getting down there again.
She loves getting in there for the beauty and history of her family.

Hope it all goes well.
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby weeds » Wed 23 Sep, 2015 4:39 pm

We dropped into cedar creek today as we were driving past. It look likes they are renovating the old cottage up top.

We are hoping the weather holds.....or doesn't get any worse as we are a little under prepared for really bad weather.

Either way we are as excited.
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby weeds » Mon 05 Oct, 2015 8:57 pm

Done and dusted......although we did have a hiccup on the 20km drive from where we were camping to cedar lodge.

Five of us, wendy, myself and the three kids 15, 14 and 12.

Day 1 we walked approx 19km, info suggested it was 17km. It was all fire access roads with plenty of ups and down. Left around 8am, did the side tracks and arrived around 1:30pm ish. Wendy and I were glad to get out of our boots. Birds Nest hut was as expected, big enough for is all, plenty of fire wood and has the cutest birds nest in the newly constructed loo. Wendy and the kids cooled their feet of in the stream......way too cold for me. It was cold and wet when we started the day, being newbs to hiking we hadn't had our packs on with jumpers and raincoats, the was also a mad scramble to repackage everything in plastic bags as we didn't have covers.

Day 2, Birds Nest to Green Gully. Two sections of off track to look forward to. I was a little worried as it mention navigation and the visitors book groups mentioned they got lost.......pfft, even though they ask you not to follow each other I.e. Not make a pad we are all like sheep and follow each other. It's documented as the hardest day of the walk, the down hill section was a killer on the legs and toes. Our youngest tripped on a rock and head butted another rock, blood everywhere and a nice gash on top of his head. Patched him up as good as we could and continued on, his brother carried two packs down the steepest part. No mobile reception so we crossed our fingers, one learning was to carry more first aid supplies as we used most of our kit on this one injury. Green gully hut was smaller, with just enough fire wood for us and we used the last of the detergent. The hot shower was welcomed. Our feet were killing us all. Our daughter took, a dip in the creek brrrrr.

Day 3 green Gully Hut to Colwells Hut. The whole day we criss crossed green gully creek. The oldest boy managed to rock hop the whole way without getting the boots full of water. Wendy switched to runners in the hour, i Rock hopped to just before the gorge than changed to runners. Were lucky enough to spot a pair of brush tail rocks wallabies, a pig and a massive red belly black. We all brave the water and went for a swim at the gorge. It was our shortest day in km's but longest day in time at 8hr but most enjoyable by far. Colwells Hut is tiny and my favourite even though we let the kids sleep inside while wendy and I slept int he lean too........fire wood had been restocked so lids were happy

Day 4 Colwells Hut back the Cedar Creek Lodge..........all fire access roads. First 4km is straight up and steep, you pretty muck walk uphill for the first 10km of 17km. I found this day to be the toughest, we all used pretty much all of our 3L of water.........would hate to do it in summer. The cleaner at cedar creek let us slip in for a shower before the next group arrived. We than set up our camper trailer and waited until the park ranger delivered some spare parts that had been sent from Sydney.

Overall the family enjoyed the walk, it's a hut walk with only six walker allowed to start each day. Yes there was water, firewood, stretchers, gas stoves, crockery and cutlery at each hut, it ,meant the kids could leave some items at home. I didn't enjoy day 1 and 4 apart from spending it with the family.

We all agree it was a good introduction to multi day walks as a family. We even read it is tougher physically the OLT.......we will be able to make comment on this at the end of January next year.

Cheers
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby newhue » Wed 07 Oct, 2015 5:23 pm

Nice weeds, got to start somewhere. Most boots need a 100km before they feel right, well the ones I have had mostly anyway. Now you have cut your teeth, its time to get into specie walks. OLT is a cake walk, so should be a good intro into lots of wow factor, elevation, and views for miles. You make sure to take every side trip on offer, it makes up for the crowds. And with 15 hours of daylight in summer, who's in rush to get to them. Well done. Pat OK?
newhue
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby drewmac » Wed 07 Oct, 2015 8:45 pm

Hi Weeds,

Awesome, thanks for the report.
Glad you enjoyed it.
Yes I can see how it could get graded as tougher than OLT, that is very steep country.
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes