Gooandra Hut Snowshoe -KNP

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Gooandra Hut Snowshoe -KNP

Postby Lizzy » Fri 22 Jul, 2016 1:28 pm

Last Sunday/Monday we headed out for a family snowshoe trip to Gooandra Homestead. After a 5 or so hour drive via Tumut we parked the car about 6 km from Kiandra at the Gooandra Chain Bay. There were a few other cars parked there- some having a play in the snow nearby. The snow was a bit patchy so we started out carrying the snowshoes along the firetrail.
FBDSCN1699_273.JPG
Snowshoe packhorse
FBDSCN1699_273.JPG (45.61 KiB) Viewed 11616 times

We spotted a herd of Brumbies having a munch and continued on over the bridge over the Eucumbene River. We passed a group who had been out on a daywalk- most in snowshoes a few not. The snow got a bit deeper so on they went- 3x MSR Evos and 1x Yowies.
FBDSCN1701_260.JPG
Snowshoes on
FBDSCN1701_260.JPG (38.59 KiB) Viewed 11616 times

On we trudged- the walk was only 5 km but took forever! The long drive didn't help and our youngest was getting over it so the toboggan turned into a nice sleigh to be dragged by Mum. Where were those brumbies when you needed them??? The day was ticking on and I was tempted to set up camp in the trees but the promise of a hut seemed like a nice incentive especially as I was carrying marshmallows for the fire :)
Finally we descended down to the hut- heaps of snow about. We quickly set about camp chores- tents up, water collection, firewood, dinner, dry clothes...
FBDSCN1705_264.JPG
Gooandra Homestead
FBDSCN1705_264.JPG (34.69 KiB) Viewed 11616 times

The hut was great and has been done up recently with a big back veranda and nice fireplace inside. It has a few rooms and a front undercover wet entrance
FBDSCN1707_265.JPG
FBDSCN1707_265.JPG (40.88 KiB) Viewed 11616 times
It was my Big Sky Chinook 2's maiden voyage along with the trusty Snowgum Stormshelter (?). I made the big mistake of not bringing a fourth CCF pad and was chilly from the snow underneath despite my toasty sleeping bag. We slept on 2x exped synmat 7 and 2x neoairs. The Chinook suffered more condensation than the Snowgum- but both were fine and plenty of room.
Despite hanging our stockings out- Santa did not come :( Maybe he doesn't like damp socks....
FBDSCN1712_267.JPG
Stockings hung out
FBDSCN1712_267.JPG (46.6 KiB) Viewed 11616 times

Next morning we packed up camp, tidied up the hut and set off along the trail the same way we had come. Even though sleep wasnt the most forthcoming the hike out was much easier and the boys had a great time trying to find the perfect snow to make the perfect snowcone on the end of their hiking poles
FBDSCN1719_271.JPG
Snowcone making
FBDSCN1719_271.JPG (55.65 KiB) Viewed 11616 times

We made it back to the car and into Tumut for lunch and then the long drive home.... I'm sure they had a great time in hindsight ;)
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Gooandra Hut Snowshoe -KNP

Postby BethJ » Fri 22 Jul, 2016 9:39 pm

Looks like a great trip! :)
BethJ
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby DarrenM » Sun 24 Jul, 2016 11:20 am

Great trip Lizzy! Fantastic
DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Giddy_up » Sun 24 Jul, 2016 2:27 pm

Nice trip Lizzy, getting the family out and about is very special and an opportunity to test drive the new tent :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby kanangra » Mon 25 Jul, 2016 3:46 pm

Wow!! Great. It is a terrific little walk into the hut. they have done a lot of work on it.

If you're ever up that way again I have some cabins just down the road. Gooandra Alpine Cabins. They are just off the highway on 150 acres. Just after you exit the park. They are on the northern side of the highway. ( there are other cabins you can see from the road on the southern side. )

Steve
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby kanangra » Mon 25 Jul, 2016 3:51 pm

I should have said they are perfect for young families. They sleep 5 in two rooms. All amenities provided.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby puredingo » Wed 27 Jul, 2016 10:43 pm

Can you not sleep in the hut?
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lizzy » Thu 28 Jul, 2016 4:52 pm

Yes you could sleep in the hut. Like all huts they recommend them for emergency use only- probably because they would have to have emergency exits/ fire detectors etc if it was advertised as accomodation. Lots of these huts also have furry little companions. We wanted to camp anyway :)
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby puredingo » Thu 28 Jul, 2016 10:06 pm

Fair enough, I've never done any walking in an area where the huts are marked or common knowledge so the huts I do strike are open slather....and it's always an emergancy at bed time, my 8 hours is of upmost importance!! Ha!
puredingo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes