Guthega to Thredbo

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Guthega to Thredbo

Postby roguetrooper » Fri 16 Dec, 2016 5:12 pm

Hi all,

Planning on hiking from Guthega to Thredbo and trying to work out how to get back to the car from Thredbo without walking the circuit. Does anyone know if there is a bus service in Summer. Planning on walking between Christmas and New Year.

Andrew
roguetrooper
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: NSW Rogaining Assoc.
Region: New South Wales

Re: Guthega to Thredbo

Postby Zapruda » Thu 22 Dec, 2016 7:43 am

Hi Andrew,

As far as I'am aware there are no transport options between Guthega and Thredbo. You could arrange a taxi from Jindabyne to help you out, although I believe it would be very expensive.

Guthega doesn't really have anything going on in the summer hence the lack of transport.

I strongly suggest a loop walk. You could start in the Guthega and head down over the Illawong swing bridge, then up over The Lil Twynam/Mt Twynam Saddle. Once you are at the top of Mt Twynam you can easily connect to the Kosciuszko loop track. You could take this past lake Albina, Up Kos then down to Thredbo or Dead Horse Gap. I would come back via the Summit road then over the Snowy, past Blue Lake and over Twynam again and finally down to Guthega on the Illawong track.

Anyway, have fun.

Cheers
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby wander » Thu 22 Dec, 2016 8:51 am

What Zapruda said.

Or Option B, dump a bike at Charlotte Pass. Do your Guthega to Thredbo loop plus wander back to CP. On bike and down the road to Guthega via the link road at Perisher.
wander
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Postby johnw » Thu 22 Dec, 2016 10:47 am

All good advice above. I have looked into transport options previously but there is nothing unless something has changed recently. Not that it would have beeen much help but the ski tube used to run in summer between Perisher and Bullocks Flat, but they even stopped that several years ago.

Just thinking aloud, and not that I'm recommending it, but are you doing this as a (very long) day hike or overnighting somewhere? It might influence your choices. I note from your other posts that you are experienced with off track navigation. If you are fit and fast - I have found it possible to cover a lot of ground up there in a day in summer (***in good weather only*** the warnings about poor conditions up there should not be taken lightly - even around Boxing Day I've found myself walking through a foot of snow and in near white out conditions). That said, in clear fine weather, even off track in many places it can be mainly walking through fields of snow grass and silver daisies if you choose routes carefully - noting to avoid sensitive vegetation.

Also is Thredbo an intended destination or just because of the perception that it might have had transport options? If not necessarily wanting to visit Thredbo you could ignore it and stay up high to shorten the route a bit (or use the chairlift for about $30 return).

My thoughts are similar to Zapruda's suggestions but there might be other options at the end if you don't want to re-climb Mt Twynam - probably Guthega > Illawong > Little Twynam/Twynam > Main Range/Lakes Circuit > Kosci Road > Charlotte Pass > possibly back via Guthrie Ridge but I haven't done it > or walk down the road and go via Spencers Creek - I have walked part way down that but it did start to get scrubby after a while > Illawong > Guthega.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby roguetrooper » Sat 24 Dec, 2016 1:31 pm

Hi all, great inputs and thanks a lot. I particularly like the lateral thinking of dumping a bike at CP. Will let you know how we end up.

Andrew
roguetrooper
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: NSW Rogaining Assoc.

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes