Yerranderrie and back

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Yerranderrie and back

Postby rcaffin » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 8:36 pm

Dunphy's Camp site (or car park) - Coxs R - camp near top of Bungalooloo (carrying water - ugh!)
Wonga Mt - Veyrets Horse Track (almost all gone now, very steep!), up Kowmung R, very nice
Up long spur to Mt Feld (extremely dry), Scotts MR, Butchers Ck (looks awful, but nice tent site and acceptable water possible)
Yerranderrie for morning tea at PICNIC shelter(!), guest house Lodge locked, then back to Mt Feld carrying water
SMR to CBC site (Kowmung House, water), camped near Kowmung Lookout (carrying water)
Down Cookem (50 minutes) and back to Dunphy's.

We seemed to do a lot of carrying water this trip. It's heavy.

White gate at N end of SMR has sign banning bushwalkers, penalty $11,000. Sign is wrong: you have to go through it for ~1.5 km to Cookem fork - on the LEGAL bushwalkers corridor.

There are now small dams 'for firefighting' along SMR. Water is very opaque, and would need filtering and treatment (pigs), but it IS water.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Yerranderrie and back

Postby LachlanB » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 9:17 pm

Was there any water in Butchers Ck? I was there on trip shortly after rain, and it was completely dry (we were relying on it...)
I'd be interested to know that it's holding water after all the dry weather we've had recently.
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby rcaffin » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 5:31 pm

Yes, there was water in Butchers Creek, but not next to the gate. The pool there is - erk! You need to search up the water course a little way. When it is present, it is in a slot in the soil like an alpine creek. We did not need to filter it, but we did treat it with a Steripen wand. But note that the area did have a little rain a few days earlier.

The Tonalli was far worse. Quite ... yuk.

There is a good rain water tank at the picnic shelter (my god!) at the E end of Yerranderie.

Cheers
Roger
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby LachlanB » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 10:26 pm

Good to know that there is some water there. I've been told by someone who has been walking in the area for a long time that the whole Blue Breaks region has been gradually getting drier and drier. Personally, I'd be rather reluctant to drink the Tonalli anywhere around Yerranderie after looking at some of the lurid coloured mine drainage catchment ponds in the area...
LachlanB
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby rcaffin » Sat 18 Nov, 2017 2:45 pm

Tonalli: arsenic contamination from Silver Peak Mine (and others). Known problem. Previous owners 'donated' the mine to NPWs to avoid the liability of the clean-up.
Butchers: well, the graders have stuffed the creek at the gate, but a bit of exploration upstream or downstream should get you water.

NEW: numerous 'Water Points' have been installed along Scotts Main Range: small dams adjacent to road. OK, VERY cloudy in most cases, and there are (of course) pigs, but filter (for suspended clay) plus UV Steripen should keep you alive. Note that the Steripen does NOT like cloudy water: the clay blocks the UV photons. Filter first.

We found carrying 5 L was enough for afternoon tea, dinner, breakfast and morning tea for two of us. You may need more.

Cheers
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes