Guthega P.S. to Valentine's hut and back. Easter 2018

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Guthega P.S. to Valentine's hut and back. Easter 2018

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 05 Apr, 2018 10:22 pm

A trip report is coming soon and photos too.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.
Region: Victoria

Re: Guthega P.S. to Valentine's hut and back. Easter 2018

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 9:08 am

I drove up to Thredbo via the Alpine way from Melbourne on Good Friday 2018. It was very busy on the roads .
I stopped by to see my old friend at The Silver Brumby Chalet in Thredbo before continuing onto Island bend to camp for the night. The upper campsite was filling up and the lower camp site was beyond capacity.
It was not my usual style to camp with the holiday crowd car camping masses but I needed to get an early start on Easter Sat. and it was becoming dark as I set up camp.
There was a heavy frost overnight and the moon was full and the night sky was clear.

I packed up on Sat. and was off by about 9 am. I found a parking spot at the Guthega Power station and went off to towards the Disappointment spur track. Th e Munyang bridge is broken and the powers that be have fenced it off. I was not deterred since I had come to walk some more of the AAWT. I did a river crossing north of the bridge and emerged dry and composed.
The spur climb on the fire trail was nothing compared with the Diamantina spur in VIC. but it kept going up and up until I reached the green Disappointment spur hut.
There was water flowing at regular points along the the whole route unlike in VIC. which is so dry .
Eventually after a quick rest and a snack at the hut I went on and met the Schlink track and pressed on for lunch at White's River Hut. The same party that I met at the green hut were also eating lunch at White's River hut.
I did not see any fecal waste around the hut so the new loo there must be working in enticing people to do their business inside the comode.
Further on at the Schlink pass I met a solo AAWT walker heading for Walhalla. I gave him some tips for parts of the VIC. leg of the trek and moved on .
The Schlink hut is large and would be a welcome sight in BC XC ski season but it is not much of a place to camp.
After having a pit stop there I pushed onto Valentine's hut.
By the time I arrived I was exhausted, just shattered having walked 18kms . A KHA working Bee party was ensconced there and were repainting the hut.
Once I had set up camp and cooked my dinner it was almost dark and I went to sleep in my snuggly warm sleeping bag. There was a heavy frost overnight , again.
The next morning at day break I was up and about. It was quite nippy indeed outside .
A larger , younger group had camped down by the creek and were slow to pack up.
Having packed up and dropped my pack at the hut I went and bush bashed down to Valentine falls.
The KHA party were recutting the track with hand tools.
I think the falls would be more spectacular in November.Then having set off I went back to the Schlink hut for lunch. I passed the large party who camped by Valentine Creek.
The route was full of walkers but I was still able to have some solitude along the way in the Jagungal Wilderness section along the Valentine track.
I chatted with some pack wielding mountain bikers at Schlink Pass and my way to Horse camp Hut.
They flew down the Schlink track whereas I trudged along past White's River hut.
I was surprised to find that Horse Camp Hut has been rebuilt and is very smart. The KHA had very recently repainted it and it stank of fresh paint.
I set up my tent and was pleased to find I had the whole location to myself.
Water was not far away and I went and pumped up some water with my water filter.I got a camp fire going and cooked dinner. Another early night in bed followed. The morning of Easter Monday was clear and sunny and having packed up I walked back down to the Power station .
Next time I will walk the Rolling Ground from Guthega Dam to White's river Hut as well as another walk , up Hannel's spur.
Once I had got organzined I took my RAV4 up to Guthega for the views and returned via the Smiggins Hole link Track . That is a 4 x 4 track really but my car was fine along that route.
Jindabyne was so busy it was a shock but the Barry way was something of a 4 x 4 wilderness route .
It was also quite busy on the NSW side with 4WD enthusiasts and campers along the Snowy River.
Along the way I took a detour to visit Little River Falls. They were as dry as a crisp and thus I continued to Buchan where I found a bed at the Backpackers' lodge. That establishment is changing hands and it is unclear after some 25 years of dropping in there , on and off over the years, whether it will continue as a budget travellers' hostel or not.
A visit to the Fairy cave on Easter Tuesday was worthwhile and then came the LONG drive along the Princes' highway to Melbourne.
I packed a lot into 5 or so days. One could have loitered en route and spent two weeks doing such a trip.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Fri 06 Apr, 2018 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 10:31 am

Thanks Mister Tee.

What implored you to head up the road and not Gungarten and the Kerrie's etc? I'm not being Facetious, just curious. I find the Schlink corridor absolutely mind numbing, but then again I have walked it myself more times than I can count.

Cheers
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 06 Apr, 2018 1:46 pm

I have never walked that route before. Walking along the 4 WD tracks was not great for bushwalking but I now know the layout of the area and will try to walk some of the Rolling Ground or the Kerries next time. I suppose I wanted to assess the route that I took in terms of what the terrain and huts are like for BC XC ski touring.
I also wanted to do a walk where I could find water easily. At present the alps in VIC. are so dry but along that section of the AAWT in NSW I found water easily , everywhere.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 08 Apr, 2018 2:45 pm

paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MeanderingFlyFisher » Mon 09 Apr, 2018 8:28 pm

Nice report and photos reminding me of a similiar hike I did a couple of years ago.
MeanderingFlyFisher
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby crollsurf » Thu 23 Dec, 2021 2:28 pm

Great Video for anyone interested walking this route in winter or anyone who has already walked it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oR6IIVkty8
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 24 Dec, 2021 6:45 pm

Watching that man trudge across the snow on snow shoes when he could be gliding in an quick and energy efficient way on skis was frustrating !.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Sat 25 Dec, 2021 7:12 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Watching that man trudge across the snow on snow shoes when he could be gliding in an quick and energy efficient way on skis was frustrating !.

Is that because you remember what it was like not so long ago to trudge in snowshoes. Some people like it and not everyone can ski, especially carrying a load on their back. I recall the effort it took many (including me) to get you to try skis. It is good you enjoy it but it is not everything.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 25 Dec, 2021 5:51 pm

The main thing is the man got out there and had good time. Good for him!.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes