Tooma River walk/packraft

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Tooma River walk/packraft

Postby SteveJ » Sun 10 Oct, 2010 8:23 am

A really neat day walk/packraft trip. 10kms up Darglas Fire Trail to where it crosses the upper Tooma river then packraft the white water section (7.5km) down the river and 3.5 km of flat water down the lake and back to the head of the trail (car park). About 8 hours car to car. We fished a bit and had lunch so that time would be able to be cut. Best time for this trip is spring whilst river level is up a bit (last of the snow melt) and the weather is warming. It is possible to overnight in Wheelers Hut up the top of the river to make it more of a cruise. Great little trip.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Cheeseworld ... cEmugkBEDY

Steve
SteveJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Tooma River walk/packraft

Postby Tony » Sun 10 Oct, 2010 9:28 am

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the report, I have never seen the Tooma as high, though most of my visits have been in Autumn, I have fished from the gauging station up to Pugalistic hut, I was very interesting to see what the river is like below the gauging station, it is a very nice part of the world.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes