Trip Report - Six Foot Track

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Trip Report - Six Foot Track

Postby Lindsay » Fri 15 Oct, 2010 11:45 am

Started from Katoomba on Tuesday for a solo walk to Jenolan Caves via the Six Foot track. 45 kilometres following (approximately) the old bridle track. Setting out at 1000 the weather was good, clear with a slight cool breeze. The first couple of kilometres a steep and slippery walk down Nellies Glen through the damp rainforest with spectacular views of the cliffs above on either side. Difficult to see how a horse could have managed the path until one sees the occasional remnant of the old, zig-zag path now over grown and replaced by the more recent walking track. At the bottom of the glen the scenery changed markedly with the rainforest giving way to eucalypt forest and scrub. This part of the walk mostly followed a fire trail on a fairly flat crossing of the valley floor, passing the site of the abandoned Megalong Village to Megalong Valley Road and the old cemetery. Numerous kangaroos all around. Arrived here at 1200 and took a break before heading downhill and along the right of way across the open farmland to the Cox's River valley.

Six Foot Track Oct 2010 069.JPG
Top Of Nellies Glen

Six Foot Track Oct 2010 072.JPG
Down Nellies Glen

Entering the bush again and heading along the track down the valley I made my way along to Bowtells bridge and on the the Cox's river camp, arriving at about 1440. Had the place to myself so spread out and relaxed for the rest of the afternoon. Went down to the river at dusk to see if I could spot a platypus but no luck.

Next morning set out at 0900 after waiting for the condensation inside my tent to dry out. Headed up the Black Range along firetrails and past the state forest to Black Range camp. Mostly overcast today so kept it a litte bit cool for the long 21ks mostly uphill. On top of Mini Mini saddle I met a bloke riding a mountain bike to MIttagong. Rather him than me! There was no wildlife to speak of apart from several kangaroos but he walk was peaceful with no other people around.

Six Foot Track Oct 2010 101.JPG
Fire trail along Black Range

Arrived at Black Range camp at around 1545. It began to get a little cold now and the wind was rising, so I set up the tarptent using the crossing pole just in case. Turns out this was a good move as the wind got up considerably and it rained all night. However I was warm and dry inside the tent which stood up to the elements brilliantly. Next morning the sky cleared and the sun came out just as I had packed up to head off, so the walking was dry although the track was quite muddy.

Six Foot Track Oct 2010 110.JPG
Tarptent at Black Range camp

The last 10k to Jenolan was pleasant although the track followed the road for some of the way. A very steep descent over the last few kilometres almost saw me arrive at the bottom of the hill sooner than expected however my trusty hiking pole saved the day! Arrived at the top of Carlotta Arch and walked the last few hundred metres down the very civilised paved track with stainless steel handrails down to Caves House, arriving at 1215 Had a very ordinary and overpriced hamburger while waiting for my bus back to Katoomba. This place is very nice but the food really is a rip off! Caught my bus at 1500 and was back home in Sydney by 2000 that night.

Six Foot Track Oct 2010 121.JPG
Carlotta Arch

Although not one of the most spectacular walks, I managed to get my pack weight down to 13 kilos and was able to check the performance of the new bits of gear I have acquired, so still a pleasant and enjoyable couple of days and well worth the effort.
Lindsay
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Trip Report - Six Foot Track

Postby HitchHiking » Fri 15 Oct, 2010 1:03 pm

Nice stuff, good to hear the gear worked out always a good feeling.
Evan- Terra Rosa Gear, Handcrafted adventure equipment from Melbourne.
HitchHiking
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: www.TerraRosaGear.com
Region: Victoria

Postby Lindsay » Sat 16 Oct, 2010 5:30 pm

HitchHiking wrote:Nice stuff, good to hear the gear worked out always a good feeling.

Thanks Evan, the new tent and mattress (Tarptent and neoair) had their first outing and did very well :)
Lindsay

Postby Leppy » Tue 26 Oct, 2010 9:53 pm

Great report - thanks.
Thats a walk I would be keen to do. Let us know next time and maybe we can get a few of us together for it.
Leppy
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to NSW & ACT Trip Reports & Track Notes