Desktop version
Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.

Forum rules

Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.
Post a reply

David Crevasse

Wed 23 May, 2012 3:57 pm

A few pics from the weekend for those interested. A short writeup with more pics on the blog can be found Here

Re: David Crevasse

Wed 23 May, 2012 5:10 pm

Great report and pics. I've never done that trip myself. Great to see I'm not the only one to get badly lacerated shins in the bush.

K.

Wed 23 May, 2012 7:51 pm

Mate - I must have just missed you on the weekend ! I camped near Pierces Pass intersection at the Grose River Sat night on a return trip to Mt Hay Rd via Lockleys Pylon.

Wed 23 May, 2012 8:14 pm

Must have been close Dale! I passed through Blue Gum Forest sometime after midday. More than likely you would have been climbing the ridge by then.

Sat 18 Aug, 2012 10:50 am

Don't know if you're aware, but the easy way out is to ascend the other (eastern) arm of David Crevasse. Brings it down to a half day trip. There is one medium / difficult scramble, shown in the 1990 photo. Back in the 60s and 70s various clubs used to programme a trip down Zoebles and up David. Doesn't seem to be done anymore.

David Crevasse 1990.jpg

An alternative, if you're really keen, is to head west round the base of the cliffs and ascend the Gordon Smith Chimney (GSC). The GSC was done occasionally up until the early 70s when a rockfall apparently (details are vague) made it a lot harder. Trips since are rare. Any party attempting this should include a competent rockclimber and ideally someone who has been there before as there are a couple of route choices. Our 1993 trip was down Orang Utan and up GSC, which must surely qualify as one of the all time epic day walks.

The GSC can also be done as an abseiling trip (slightly different to the ascent routes). Six abseils, 2x50m ropes. Probably a good idea before attempting an ascent.

Regards,
Graeme

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 11:39 am

Thanks Graeme, great info! So many variations to chose from, cheers.
Post a reply