Windin Falls

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Windin Falls

Postby sandym » Fri 11 Oct, 2013 7:05 pm

I had seen some reference to these falls on the internet but didn't have much idea where they were except somewhere along the Old Cairns Track. As we had seen the start of the Old Cairns Track when we did Bartle Frere a few days ago, that seemed a reasonable place to start. We initially started walking from where the Old Cairns track leaves the road that goes to Bartle Frere and I followed it for two km, but it was hard stony road that was hurting my feet (still sore from Bartle Frere), and, yes I'm a sook, so, after two kilometres, I walked back and got our car while my partner walked another 2 km. At km 4.2, the road gets abruptly much rougher but there is a good place to park. We parked and walked on, the road is on a ridge and is mostly shady, but has been destroyed by 4WD'ers and has huge ugly deep mud bogs every so often - why is this road not gated? Anyway, we came to an obvious trail leaving to the right and took it, and, in 15 or 20 minutes were at the top of the falls. Very spectacular falls and a wonderful view up a pristine looking valley. We had a swim in the pool by the falls and then walked back up. I took more notice of the time on return and it was about 25 minutes from the falls back to the Old Cairns track and about 50 minutes on the Old Cairns track back to where we parked. I have read that there is other falls up there - Caribou, but I have no idea how to find them. Unfortunately, we don't have a topographic map so I am not even sure what creek the falls are on.
sandym
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Re: Windin Falls

Postby ofuros » Sat 12 Oct, 2013 8:44 am

Thanks for the trip report sandym.....any pics to go with it ? :)
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Windin Falls

Postby sandym » Sat 12 Oct, 2013 7:09 pm

Yes, if only I wasn't too dumb to know how to post them. Maybe I'll work it out.
sandym

Region: New South Wales

Return to QLD Trip Reports & Track Notes