Point Bonney

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Point Bonney

Postby wander » Thu 14 Jun, 2012 9:40 am

Not a real trip report but enough to get you started.

We wandered up and over Point Bonney at Wilpena Pound over the Queens Bday long weekend. A lightning strike fire has burnt out all the scrub from Karrawarra South to just short of Moonarie Gap. So the wandering is much easier than it has been for years due to scrub removal. The Mallee is charging back after good rains through Summer and which are continuing so even as early next Winter access will be more difficult. The Point does not get many visitors based on the log book. No entries for 2011. And only 11 entries since my last visit in 2001.

Some pics are located here https://picasaweb.google.com/105622138270107185062/2012PointBonney
wander
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Re: Point Bonney

Postby philm » Fri 15 Jun, 2012 9:57 am

Looks like you had good weather and the photo's are great. One of my favourate spots. Was there any water around? How many nights were you out?
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Maelgwn » Wed 05 Sep, 2012 1:25 pm

Hi Wander

How did you turn this into a long weekend walk? Where did you start finish?

Thinking of going October long weekend :) (It is tempting to go looking for snow that weekend tho, I wonder if it will have all melted!)
Maelgwn
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jez_au » Tue 08 Jan, 2013 9:45 am

Dunno how I missed this post. Nice photos, thanks for sharing!

I hiked up to Point Bonney and Mt Karrawarra in September last year, similarly because the January fires had cleared the landscape.

We carried water in from Hills Homestead (we came through Wilpena Pound Gap rather than Moonarie Gap), and camped for two nights at the base of the mountain. We planned to walk back for more water if necessary, but did not need to. We found water in the creek and rockholes in the vicinity of GR 728 035 (lat -31.578473000 lon 138.607050000) - photo of one of the rockholes

http://jez-hiking.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/black-magic-on-wilpena-pounds-peaks.html
blogs - www.jeremyc.com
peak bagging - peakclimbs.com
jez_au
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to SA, WA & NT Trip Reports & Track Notes