Impressed by SA National Parks maintenance

Trip reports, stories, track notes. Multiple/large photos are OK in this forum.
Forum rules
Posting large/multiple images in this forum is OK. Please start topic titles with the name of the location or track.

For topics focussed on photos rather than the trip, please consider posting in the 'Gallery' forum instead.

This forum is for posting information about trips you have done, not for requesting information about a track or area.

Impressed by SA National Parks maintenance

Postby Onestepmore » Tue 15 Oct, 2013 11:33 am

I have just returned from 3 weeks working in Port Lincoln, on the Eyre Peninsula of SA, and on my weekends off duty I did some circuit day walks in both Lincoln NP and Coffin Bay NP. Unfortunately my provided car was not a 4 WD so I wasn't able to venture deeper into the parks and just stuck to the hard dirt roads. I was pleasantly surprised by the trackmarking, track maintenance and clean toilet facilities I encountered. Oddly though, in the pit loos, there are signs asking you to keep the lid open - quite the opposite from NSW where they want the loo lid shut to stop blowies breeding! I wore a bug net over my cap one day as the slow sticky little flies were truly bad.

Is the Investigator Trail a polular walking track?

I have to say I was a bit over-engineered - the first day's walking I came equipped with gaiters, walking poles, GPS, PLB, light waterproofs and even a super light down jacket. I guess I've walked in too many places like the Blue Mountains and Snowies and Nattai, and wasn't quite sure what to expect. I confess I did feel a bit silly. A couple of people made funny comments about my walking poles 'going skiiing are we?' and similar. Do people in SA not usually use poles?
PS swimming on Almonta Beach in Coffn Bay NP was sublime. And so were the oysters - $12.50 a dozen , opened as they sell them to you!
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Impressed by SA National Parks maintenance

Postby photohiker » Tue 15 Oct, 2013 11:42 am

Sounds like fun! Didn't know there were walking trails over there, will have to investigate next time I'm over.

People around Adelaide would be used to seeing walking poles, but on the west coast of SA, not so much :)
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Tue 15 Oct, 2013 11:57 am

photohiker wrote:People around Adelaide would be used to seeing walking poles, but on the west coast of SA, not so much :)

"West Coast" of SA! LOL
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby icefest » Tue 15 Oct, 2013 12:14 pm

I haven't seen the walking tracks in coffin bay, only sailing.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Onestepmore » Tue 15 Oct, 2013 12:39 pm

This is a pic of Almonta Beach
http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/LocationP ... ralia.html

And yeah, Coffin Bay is a watersport paradise
Last edited by Onestepmore on Tue 15 Oct, 2013 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby photohiker » Tue 15 Oct, 2013 12:58 pm

GPSGuided wrote:
photohiker wrote:People around Adelaide would be used to seeing walking poles, but on the west coast of SA, not so much :)

"West Coast" of SA! LOL

Well, that's what it's referred to locally :mrgreen: You might have noticed there is a rather large gulf called Spencers Gulf between the east and west coastal regions of SA.

Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Cowell_boy » Wed 21 May, 2014 6:03 pm

Image franklin harbour conservation park on the eyre peninsular. Excellent camping areas and totally unknown
Cowell_boy
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby Hallu » Wed 21 May, 2014 6:27 pm

Onestepmore wrote:Oddly though, in the pit loos, there are signs asking you to keep the lid open - quite the opposite from NSW where they want the loo lid shut to stop blowies breeding! I wore a bug net over my cap one day as the slow sticky little flies were truly bad.

Well, keeping the lid down prevents the insects from accessing the pit, so it also slows down decay, while keeping it open allows the insects to do their work, and it diffuses the stench. Otherwise when you open the lid it's a veritable assault on your nose.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Return to SA, WA & NT Trip Reports & Track Notes