bushwalking comradery

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

bushwalking comradery

Postby walkon » Wed 16 Apr, 2014 7:05 pm

Sometimes it takes others to open our eyes that the things we take for granted, are pretty amazing! After taking some novice bushwalkers on a trip. I was surprised one their highlights was the comradery of the different groups to each other. From different people offering advice for incorrectly adjusted/packed gear, to pitching in to help fix a break down. One hiker had two days wait for his transport to arrive in town when he finished the track. It was suggested that he take one of the last side trips to use up this time and people found out that this Italian bloke didn't have enough food/gas to do that. Shortly afterwards, more than enough supplies were in front of this fellow to enable him to do the extra two days.

So whilst these acts generosity was of no surprise to me, it was a highlight for the newbies. I've seen cookers, headlamps, and even a pack among some of the gear loaned to others to help them complete their trip. On the drive home when I sat back and listened to them I saw that they were right, we are a pastime with old time values where you help each other. But then, there's nothing modern about putting a pack on your back and going for a stroll is there.
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: bushwalking comradery

Postby skog » Wed 16 Apr, 2014 7:07 pm

It is great to see people helping others. It has become a dying thing in society.
When I think of something good to put here, I will................
skog
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: bushwalking cameraderie

Postby wildlight » Wed 16 Apr, 2014 9:21 pm

But then, there's nothing modern about putting a pack on your back and going for a stroll is there.

Well said, walkon.
This is probably one of the many reasons why some of us like to enjoy cutting the umbilical (USB) cord to the wired world, and just getting out there…

I've noticed over the years, that anything I've loaned another hiker in need, has always been returned to me. The bush tends to de-clutter some peoples' minds and get them back to basics, in more ways than one.

Although in saying that- I've also noticed a rise in numbers of people out there with laminated mini-spreadsheets and schedules, "doing" the trip "by the numbers" rather than simply "enjoying" the simplicity of just being out there, on the trip…

How times have changed.

Safe Steps

WildLight
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Wed 16 Apr, 2014 10:35 pm

walkon wrote:So whilst these acts generosity was of no surprise to me, it was a highlight for the newbies. I've seen cookers, headlamps, and even a pack among some of the gear loaned to others to help them complete their trip. On the drive home when I sat back and listened to them I saw that they were right, we are a pastime with old time values where you help each other.

Well spoke, walkon. That's one of the things that blew me away as a newbie in need of some help and supervision! - from a tube of burn cream, a question from everyone coming the other way - just checking I was ok, and was there anything else I needed (like pain killers!), to sending a big party on to chocker block Narcissus (a tad untruthfully responding to 'is there plenty of room there?), so there'd be a spot for me in Echo Point hut with the cosy fire etc, when I finally got there, very cold and very wet. I was SOOOOO impressed, and still tell people about it, over 30 years down the track.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby walkon » Tue 22 Apr, 2014 12:40 pm

wildlight wrote:
I've noticed over the years, that anything I've loaned another hiker in need, has always been returned to me. The bush tends to de-clutter some peoples' minds and get them back to basics, in more ways than one.

Safe Steps

WildLight

To true wildlight, I have never been let down with any gear loaned on the track not being returned. I guess it just shows people's appreciation is greater when in real need.
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon

Region: Victoria

Postby davidmorr » Fri 25 Apr, 2014 3:44 pm

wildlight wrote:Although in saying that- I've also noticed a rise in numbers of people out there with laminated mini-spreadsheets and schedules, "doing" the trip "by the numbers" rather than simply "enjoying" the simplicity of just being out there, on the trip…

I take map and compass and have a rough idea of where I am going. Take bearings only when I have to and mostly follow the landforms from the map. That way you are not dependent on having got all the previous steps right.

The spreadsheets may come from the Duke of Edinburgh scheme where, if done properly*, the exact route is marked out before you start, with locations and bearings for everything. The kids are expected to work out their own route and follow it, documenting where they went and what they saw. They hand over the plan before they leave so that if anything happens, rescuers know where they are likely to be. The teacher/supervisor does not travel with the kids, but remains separate behind them following the same route, so the kids have to work out everything themselves.

* I said properly, because I have met a number of DoE groups over the last few years in the bush. The whole idea of the DoE is to demonstrate self-reliance and independence, the ability to manage yourself safely in the bush. Yet many (particularly private) schools regard it as a feather in their caps that all students have completed the DoE. Accordingly, kids are made to do it whether they want to or not.

So what happens typically is that instead of travelling in small groups of 3 or 4, they end up in huge groups (over 40 in one case) accompanied by a bunch of teachers with no real bushwalking experience. They follow an exact line from point to point that someone has decreed they should follow, irrespective of the difficulty of that route, eg, straight across the middle of a swamp instead of walking around the edge of it. Or taking a line down the side of a spur in thick scrub rather than following the top of the spur down and going from there. Alternatively, they follow marked tracks in national parks.

And instead of being independent, they are directed by the teacher what to do. "You over there, you near the tree,..... soandso get some water, you three get .....". It is all making a bit of a joke of a scheme that was designed to prove that kids could be independent and look after themselves.
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby zac150 » Fri 25 Apr, 2014 7:47 pm

I'm a partner in a small firm and for the past five years we have head out as an office on a four day walk.

Initially it started as a bucket list request of one of the older partners who wanted to camp in the snow; since then it has progressed to a normal walking trip.

What I have found is the teamwork that has been developed by these trips. At work we are individuals as we all have our own clients etc and I find walking mimics this. I can't carry any of my partners but I can help carry some of his gear. What I have always found amazing is watching who chips in when you get to camp. That's when I find the teamwork and comradery really shows, when you are tied from 6 hours walking and you get to a camp then you still have to get food, water and wood. It's always interesting watching who puts their hand up when tired.
zac150
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to Bushwalking Discussion