Winter Camping with babies

Bushwalking topics that are not location specific.
Forum rules
The place for bushwalking topics that are not location specific.

Re: Winter Camping with babies

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 10 Jun, 2014 9:00 pm

One of my fondest memories is of my first daughter prone on the snow, dressed head to foot in pink drinking water out of a puddle in the track 15MO
They will soon let you know if they are unhappy, but properly dressed tadpoles are pretty tough
Erich I'm a firm believer in one piece boiler suit type clothes for toddlers in cold wet weather, if bought and worn the next size up with a decent synthetic layer underneath they work quite well, but we bought an extra jacket another size up and could put that on if conditions warranted, Strings attached to gloves and mittens and threaded up inside the sleeves works but simple idiot loops also do the same job
It' was hard work I admit but well worth it for the memories
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Lizzy » Wed 11 Jun, 2014 6:45 am

Good luck! My boys are in primary school and we keep going to go camping in the snow- get down there and change our minds opting for a "normal" camp in the bush. After a day of rough snow play/sliding/fighting they are usually wet- in boots/ gloves and cooling down so I err on the side of caution and without multiple sets of snow gear decide they won't have fun in it the next day anyway! Maybe we'll try again this year. In a way it would be easier with a bub but it will be a lot of work. Will be interested to hear how you go if you manage it.
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby bonnieconquest » Sat 12 Jul, 2014 9:15 pm

Nursing my 10 day old babe and dreaming of a high country camping trip. Would love to hear how your trip went. I'm keen to try a snow camp overnight.
bonnieconquest
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Onestepmore » Sun 13 Jul, 2014 10:08 am

bonnieconquest wrote:Nursing my 10 day old babe and dreaming of a high country camping trip. Would love to hear how your trip went. I'm keen to try a snow camp overnight.

Congratulations!
But alas, I think you may need to dream a little longer if your bub is only 10 days old. Enjoy this precious time for what it is, don't regret what you can't do at the moment, because they grow up really fast (I know, everyone says the same thing!)
We can learn a lot from crayons. They come in different shapes and colours, but they all have to live in the same box
Onestepmore
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Kainas » Sat 26 Jul, 2014 10:51 am

Lizzy wrote:Yep mittens are the go- my 6 year old was crying in pain after camping in the cold then getting up & riding his bike one frosty morning. Very hard to warm up- was tring to warm up under sleeping bag on me. Finally took him to the camp kitchen and put his hands under warm water which did the trick :)

Oh I remember being 14 and riding to school one winter's morning (from the 4mile service stations outside of Cooma, into town) - it was a 6km bike ride and 5km was straight downhill. I did not wear gloves. I remember getting to the bottom of that hill and going into a shop toilets and crying as I warmed my hands under the toilet hand dryer.
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Kainas » Sat 26 Jul, 2014 10:56 am

Interesting topic by the way. I have just returned to the forums after a 5 year absence from any serious bushwalking - due to having children. I tried a few times when they were little, but the effort outweighed any sense of enjoyment. I think largely because as the primary caretaker I was 100% exhausted all the time, the idea of adding a camping/hiking trip on top of it just seemed ridiculous.

They are 4yo and 2yo now, and definetly ready for a few trips.

As for keeping them warm at night... why not co-sleep? The kid easily regulates temperature by rolling closer to you or kicking off a blanket. Although we have only camped with them a couple of times, I use this technique in winter at home for my kids when they are young. No worrying about being warm enough in a cold bedroom...
Kainas
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Sat 26 Jul, 2014 11:07 am

Onestepmore wrote:
bonnieconquest wrote:Nursing my 10 day old babe and dreaming of a high country camping trip. Would love to hear how your trip went. I'm keen to try a snow camp overnight.

Congratulations!
But alas, I think you may need to dream a little longer if your bub is only 10 days old. Enjoy this precious time for what it is, don't regret what you can't do at the moment, because they grow up really fast (I know, everyone says the same thing!)

They certainly do OSM and before you know it your a grandparent.....woo hoo! :D :D :D
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ErichFromm » Thu 31 Jul, 2014 12:46 pm

I'm still waiting to take the little guy on his first camp trip. His mother and I agreed we should wait until he was walking 90% of the time (not ideal to have a baby crawling around on the wet dirt) and he just started walking a month or so ago. But the time is getting closer: planning a trip in the next few weeks.

I'm actually quite nervous about it: if the little guy doesn't like it will it mean I have to disown him? I've mapped out camping trips and hikes for the next 15 years with him - so if he's not a fan it will be a little awkward....

P.S. - Little guy is 18 months (but was born 3 months prem so a little behind with the walking bit).
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby perfectlydark » Thu 31 Jul, 2014 1:44 pm

They all walk in their own time :) my daughter didnt take her first step until 23 months. My son was 13 months I think
perfectlydark
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby sim1oz » Thu 31 Jul, 2014 3:44 pm

Our son walked at 9 months and premmie daughter at 18 months. Over a decade later, the difference in start time doesn't really make a difference!

Just saw this thread on Backpackinglight: "The first of many- a new babe backpacking adventure" http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=93693. Looks like she is only a few weeks old!
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MartyGwynne » Sat 02 Aug, 2014 2:21 am

It seems like so long ago when mine were that young, but I do remember having to stop once in the middle of the bush in about a foot of snow (was in the old land rover) with the call for potty! So the rest of the group stopped and waited while potty was used and then back off on the trip.
Definitely synthetic sleeping bag and hot water bottle if it is cold.
I did not do a bushwalk with them till they could carry their own packs (clothes, sleeping bag and snacks), but did many car camping trips and overnighters in the boat.
Normal everyday clothes they would wear were worn with a bit more of a rug up for the colder days/nights. There was not the gear available back then though as there is now (which was affordable for us).
MartyGwynne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bonnieconquest » Mon 08 Sep, 2014 1:27 pm

An update from us - went camping with our 9 week old. Just one night, at Sheepyard Flat by the Howqua. It was a success and has bolstered our confidence! I have blogged about it. It wasn't our usual size adventure but it was definitely camping! It was 5 degrees in our tent and there was ice coating it, our baby was warm and snuggly inside.

http://bonnieconquest.blogspot.com.au/2 ... -camp.html
bonnieconquest
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby neilmny » Mon 08 Sep, 2014 1:49 pm

Well done, nice report (blog). She's beautiful. :D

We had a family day walk yesterday, with our little grandson touring in his Osprey Poco.
Now that's what I call a great Fathers (Grandfathers) Day. :wink:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bonnieconquest » Mon 08 Sep, 2014 1:53 pm

Thank you! We think so ;)

Indeed, it was a great first Father's and Grand father's Day for us too.
Last edited by bonnieconquest on Mon 08 Sep, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bonnieconquest
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ErichFromm » Mon 08 Sep, 2014 5:58 pm

Well done! A great blog post and a nice confidence booster for me (OP but still haven't gone yet). Planned a trip in 2 weeks - hopefully as successful as yours, though my little one is now walking. Not sure if that means it will be easier or harder. ..
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bonnieconquest » Mon 08 Sep, 2014 6:15 pm

Oh good luck OP! Where you headed?
bonnieconquest
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ErichFromm » Tue 09 Sep, 2014 4:33 am

We're going to cathedral as it's close. Sheep yard flats would be a second option. I'll post details after in case someone else visits this thread for info.... Fingers crossed... :-D
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Tue 09 Sep, 2014 6:01 am

bonnieconquest wrote:Thank you! We think so ;)

Indeed, it was a great first Father's and Grand father's Day for us too.

Yep lot's of firsts happening happening here too, was first Fathers Day for our son in law and my first as a Grandad.
We had been on a family day walk a few weeks back though, so not the first walk. He had been camping at Easter
at about 3 months, but at Port Arlington in a camper trailer, you know one of those trailers that has a canvas tent
that folds out of it. His Dad (and Mum) is very keen to get the little bloke out and about learning about and enjoying the bush.

Good luck ErichFromm you should have a great time.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Travis22 » Tue 09 Sep, 2014 9:37 am

Congratulations Bonnieconquest.

Good luck Erich!

Travis.
Travis22

Postby ErichFromm » Tue 07 Oct, 2014 12:13 pm

Well - finally did it.

Not quite winter camping, it was actually quite warm during the day (although cold at night). And no longer a baby either: the little guy was 1.5 yrs.

The little guy did very well. He slept most of the way up (Cathedrals - only 1.5 hours out of Melbourne), and only fussed a little on the way back. He was a little uncertain at first - falling quite a few times as he wasn't used to uneven ground. But by the end (we were there for one night) he was pottering around like no ones business.

We found the biggest issue was just keeping track of him. He ruined two saucepans from banging with BBQ tongs (scrapped most of the teflon off), and got a blood lip from tripping and headbutting the back of a chair, but otherwise came out unscathed. I'm stoked as it showed he liked camping - which means all my visions of fatherhood and father-son bonding over a campfire may actually happen.

Tips to add to those given to me in earlier posts:
* If possible bring friends who are comfortable helping with the little trouble maker. Definitely makes it easier to eat, pack up etc.
* Get some waterproof cover-all like these http://www.muddlarks.com.au/. Means you don't have to worry about wet clothes...
* Definitely go to a place where there may be other children. While too young, our little guys was obsessed by the bigger kids playing next door and followed them around.
* Bring food that is easy to eat. And plan eating to be in stages (too many things going on - dirt to dig in etc - for the little person to sit and eat properly)

Other than that I'd just highly recommend going camping with your toddler. So much to see and do. I'm just looking forward to the next time we can take him. :)
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bonnieconquest » Tue 07 Oct, 2014 12:18 pm

Great news! So glad you did it and that the little camper had a good time! It does make such a difference having some support team - my in-laws came with us and it helped so much. Maybe it's easier with an immobile baby than a toddler, too. Good luck with the next adventure!
bonnieconquest
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby bonnieconquest » Sat 10 Jan, 2015 8:41 pm

Our little one is now six months old and has camped in our tent with us about 8 times. We've had her sleep in the Mountain Buggy bassinet from the stroller, she was safe and cosy. But now she's too long for it and we're looking for a new 'camp bed' for her to go beside us in our small three-person tent. A travel cot is too big. Her own thermarest might not contain her wriggles. She's nearly crawling, not really rolling. Any suggestions?
bonnieconquest
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Lizzy » Sun 11 Jan, 2015 10:42 am

What about something like this
http://www.koo-di.com/bubblecot
My kids are 8 & 10 and still come off the thermarest!!!
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lizzy » Sun 11 Jan, 2015 10:46 am

Lots on eBay if you search "pop up travel cot"
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby bonnieconquest » Sun 11 Jan, 2015 11:53 am

Thanks Lizzy! Maybe we just need a Thermarest with a custom cover to secure bolsters of 'pool noodles' at the sides/ends...
bonnieconquest
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby bonnieconquest » Tue 20 Jan, 2015 6:46 am

Got a Phil & Ted's travel cot, works well at a pinch in our tent. Check out my post and pics here: http://bonnieconquest.blogspot.com.au/2015/01/mount-stirling-and-run.html
bonnieconquest
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ErichFromm » Wed 21 Jan, 2015 7:32 am

Glad that works for you bonniequest. Like your blog too - good luck with the running :)

We actually used a small tent when we went camping. A Nemo Losi 3P. We didn't find the lack of a cot an issue. To get around the "slippage" issue we simply put a thick blanket on the floor of the tent, then two sleep mats, and then a mink rug on top of that. It meant that when the little monster thrashed around trying the best way to stick his feet in our faces he never ended up directly on hard ground. The rug on top of the mats also helped reduce slippage, as well as kept the mats in place.

He slept fine. I guess the only problem with a setup like this is you need to go to bed at the same time - unlike with a cot where you can put them in and let them settle on their own. The other issue is you can't cover the tent to block out the light...

We're taking him to a music festival this weekend (Rainbow Serpent) with 24 hr trance music so this will be another challenge... :)
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bonnieconquest » Wed 21 Jan, 2015 7:55 am

Rainbow Serpent! Good luck, you crazy family. Have fun. The only think I would wonder about with that would be if it's tooo stimulating for lil one (but trance might send grommet to sleep too...).

Thanks for description of set up. We are not keen to get a bigger tent - Exped Orion makes us very happy.
bonnieconquest
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Previous

Return to Bushwalking Discussion